New byrd model?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Byrd needs a Vulture the biggest bad to the bone Byrd knife ever made!
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Sam78

Post by Sam78 »

Hello everyone. first post but a longtime fan of Spyderco. i also would love to see Byrd analogs of the Military and Paramilitary. i recently purchased the. cara cara 2, and am quite satisfied with overall quality of a knife i paid only $20 for.
Sam78

Post by Sam78 »

Jax wrote:How about a Byrd version of the para and Millie,maybe they could be called the hawk and eagle,or falcon and hawk?
Or how about a gentlemans Byrd called the swift?
Hello everyone. first post but a longtime fan of Spyderco. i also would love to see Byrd analogs of the Military and Paramilitary. i recently purchased the. cara cara 2, and am quite satisfied with overall quality of a knife i paid only $20 for.

edit: when i said Byrd Military analog, i just really meant a longer blade than the Cara Cara 2, something similar to the Resilience; but if a Military style Byrd comes out, that would be just fine too.
morgaj1

Post by morgaj1 »

I would love to see one the size of the Cat or Chapparal and call it either Condor or Osprey.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would like to place another vote for a updated Pelican model. This is my all time favorite Byrd model. With just a few slight modifications it would be perfect for my uses. I own two currently and would buy more if they weren't so scarce these days. I modified the tip of one of mine to a wharncliff profile which makes the knife about perfect. I also ground a pocket in the inside of the backspacer so the tip would not contact it( common problem on this model). Maybe the blade stop could be slightly redesigned to negate this problem. I would probably leave the little decorative cut outs out of the handle as well. Maybe a shackle key cut out like a Mariner would be cool instead. I like SS handled models, but a G10 model would probably appeal to a wider market as well, but if given the choice I would take a SS model.

On a side note I am also waiting on a updated Harrier as well ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Current guitar tech tools are kind of gimpy. I've been brainstorming on a guitar tool that would perform every function of most common guitar tools, only a little bit better. Could call it a songbird.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
tpro68

Post by tpro68 »

There are a few models that I sorely miss. The Kopa and Kiwi were great folders to carry. I really like bolsters and had a Harrier, but it felt huge compared to the Kopa and Kiwi. I have been stalking the knife forums and ebay hunting for the Wings 2 slipit. They are nowhere to be found. I do think it is interesting that the discontinued bolstered models draw such a hefty resale price. Any Byrd with bolsters and pins will grab this tiny portion of the market.
araneae

Post by araneae »

It's been quite a while, anything in the pipeline now Sal?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Re: New byrd model?

Post by sal »

We've beebn pretty snowed for the past 6 months. We've been changing makers on some of the byrd models and this makes it difficult to shoot for new models. (It's also a PITA) Once the maker situation gets stable, we'll look again at new models.

We are improving the Raven and Crow. Prototypes looked good. We'll see how and when production happens. CTS-BD1 (this maker got the heat treat right). Thicker stock (4 mm), thicker liner, some changes to the liner disengangement (Move like the Military), new clip, etc.

sal
Holland

Re: New byrd model?

Post by Holland »

Thanks for the update Sal! sounds like everything is coming together
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE