New byrd model?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

What about waved Byrds? Any reason the byrd models couldn't fit an emerson opener?
Getting my :bug-red on!!!!

:usflag
sal

Post by sal »

We have some designs with Emerson openers.

sal
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

sal wrote:We have some designs with Emerson openers.

sal
Yes! I would love to see a Byrd with a built in wave! I will be first in line to buy one when they are released!
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

A little late to the party I guess, but I'd love to see some new Byrd knives. I don't think I can really add anything to the folder comments. I also look forward to a new Finch, and the Meadowlark 2 is honestly one of my favorite designs of all the Spyderco knives, being similar to a Delica in many respects but with a choil.

For a fixed blade Byrd that is a little different from other offerings, maybe you would consider a knife with the edge dropped just a bit. I think this would add to the utility for an inexpensive all-arounder including camp/food chores. I'd like to see leaf shape or maybe something closer to a semi-wharncliffe, ~3.5", flat ground, and FRN to keep it inexpensive. Just thinking out loud; thanks for asking!
Working :spyder:'s: Dragonfly, Dragonfly 2 ZDP, Pacific Salt (reground flat by Brad S.), Green Delica FFG, Orange Endura FFG, Saver Salt, Spin Etched, Tasman Salt, Blue FRCP Manix 2
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would like to see a updated version of the Pelican. It is by far my most favorite Byrd model. I have two. I modified the tip on one to a Wharncliff style blade and the other is stock. My only recommendations are that the blade stop be modified where the tip won't smack the backspacer when closed and a G10 version be added ( stainless liners) maybe with some colors.
A updated Harrier does sound good. I have a buddy that has one of the originals.I Like the design just needs to be a little better executed. My buddy's is a solid knife and with a little tweaking of fit and finish would be a great knife. Loved the micarta scales also.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

A new Pelican would be enormous!

A different blade stop to save the tip and toxic green G10 handles?? You know rescue knives have to be highly visible :D
v8r

Post by v8r »

Commendatore wrote:A new Pelican would be enormous!

A different blade stop to save the tip and toxic green G10 handles?? You know rescue knives have to be highly visible :D
I tell you what brother great minds think alike. Green would be perfect .....my favorite color.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

a small keyring slipjoint knife would be cool (the size of a man bug or jester) either ss or frn.
In sal we trust
tpro68

Post by tpro68 »

The Harrier reminds me of the Kopa. I love the micarta scales and pins. This could be a gentlemen-style folder that could come out with different interesting scales even if they were just various colors of micarta. I got the illness late in that run, but would enjoy a Harrier run every bit as much.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I'd like to add my vote for a slipjoint - something slim, light, low profile and pocket-friendly :) 2mm blade thickness, maybe a wharnie shape, smooth G10 scales or FRN with no liners ... a gentleman's folder :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I'd like to see something in the byrd line-up that offers the blade shape of Dialex's Junior model. Although the Junior was initially designed for novice knife users, I've found the blade to be perfect for outdoor camping and hiking excursions. It's sort of the folder counterpart to my much favored Ontario Blackbird knife when going into the woods. I would really like to see more knives with that blade shape in the future.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

How about a Byrd clone of the Chinese folder, only in a fixed blade, with foliage green G-10 scales. Heck, I'd buy a Byrd clone of the Chinese in a folder configured with G-10 in a heartbeat.
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

I would like to see a emerson cara cara 2 or possibly a blue hawkbill.
metalhed
Location: (Golden, 5 miles from Spyderco)<NO LONGER Sacrameno Ca

Post by metalhed »

How about a tuxedo knife? I realize it would be difficult to get the Byrd symbol on the blade, due to the small size and shape, but I think it could be done.
MetalHed
Rock on- Dude!
endgame

Post by endgame »

Tanto style or modified tanto Emerson opener bolt lock like the sage .white aluminum or g-10 handle black dlc coated tanto blade with Emerson opener call it the bald eagle .have it in three different sizes. Small large Xl.I would buy all three.I would also have the handle st up like the assist glass breaker and the scissor set up with the blade pluss the whistle.market it to millitary and police or first responders.
shecky

Post by shecky »

Still waiting on that new Finch. The keychain sized Byrd is missing from the lineup, and I'm missing my Starling. I think I may be the only person that ever liked that one.

Another suggestion for the Byrd lineup. I kind of like the idea along the Cricket line. Not married to the Cricket's blade shape, so much as its extreme thinness, and suitability for use as a money clip. Something like the Flatbyrd, maybe a bit smaller, with a clip might do ok.
metalhed
Location: (Golden, 5 miles from Spyderco)<NO LONGER Sacrameno Ca

Post by metalhed »

How about a Byrd Tie Clip!!!!
MetalHed
Rock on- Dude!
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

The Byrd line covers the basics quite well at the moment. Quite a few of the major Spyderco knives have a Byrd counterpart. Delica-Meadowlark, Endura-Carara, etc. While not identical, the spirit of each knife and it's corresponding Byrd remain very similar. I can only make assumptions of sales volumes of each model, but an expansion of the Byrd line should include a Byrd format of a well selling Spyderco.

My own preferences aside, because what I want would be discontinued the same year, it would be interesting to see new models that may be too difficult to risk through Spyderco itself. Something that Sal or Eric wanted to try, but couldn't find the room for in production due to competing projects, or couldn't justify the high cost of tooling or specific processes. Use the Byrd line as the proving ground for something that might be risky, but has potential. A poor selling Byrd knife would cost significantly less than a poor selling Spyderco.

The Byrd line is the budget friendly version of Spyderco, it could be beneficial to try it the other way around. Put the Byrds to work in a matter of speaking. I prefer the ergonomics of the Byrd Hawkbill, but I'd like to see it made in Seki with VG-10, and have a bug on the blade, but as stated above, my own preferences are generally in the minority. Take my opinion with a whole shaker of salt.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Jax

Post by Jax »

How about a Byrd version of the para and Millie,maybe they could be called the hawk and eagle,or falcon and hawk?
Or how about a gentlemans Byrd called the swift?
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Can't wait for a new Finch pic.