Favorite byrd knife

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
deep6

Post by deep6 »

The only byrd I own is a SS Cara Cara 2, The main reason I wanted to try it out was because of the all stainless construction, and with the work I sometimes do, I need something I can disinfect from icky stuff.
Holland

Post by Holland »

byrd wrench
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Holland,

How do you like your Rench and why? They were too expensive to compete in the marketplace agains the already established tools.

sal
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

bdblue wrote:My only Byrd is a SE Hawkbill, bought to carry as a backup knife to whatever else I'm carrying. I'm thinking about getting a SE Robin to try as well.

(edited to substitute a more appropriate photo :)

My wife is getting me a Byrd Hawkbill SE for Christmas (how do I know?... I ordered it for her! LOL!!!) Will be my 2nd Byrd (the other is a Cara Cara2) and my first SE anything. Wanted it more as a way to round out functionality in my knife lineup... will keep it in my EDC backpack to have when needed. The Hawkbill is just such an intriguing shape. And the Byrd "comet" hole (btw, why not just call it a "birdseye"...that's what it looks like to me???...but I digress) lends itself very well aesthetically to the downward curve of the Hawkbill blade. Sure wish it came in G10 though... not a real fan of FRN, but on an $18 knife it will do! :)

Anyway, nice pic... looking forward to mine Christmas morning! :)
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
GSO

Post by GSO »

I'll have to speak up for the Raven, the longest running knife in my EDC rotation and the only model that convinced me to eventually purchase two more. To me, it hits that functional sweetspot in size between the Delica and the Endura, and it's much more handsome to boot. I'm willing to upgrade to its Spyderco-line equivalent, but I just can't seem to find it. And even then, I'd be hard pressed to leave the avian aesthetics that makes it a byrd.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi GSO,

The Raven in undergoing a major refinement. We think you'll like the new version even more than the first version.

sal
GSO

Post by GSO »

sal wrote:Hi GSO,

The Raven in undergoing a major refinement. We think you'll like the new version even more than the first version.

sal
Thank you, Sal. I admit my heart sank a bit when I saw the Raven on the discontinued list for next year, so thank you for bearing the good news.
Quoth the Raven, 'Evermore.'
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

got to be meadowlark 2 g 10,love it.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal wrote:Hi GSO,

sal
Can't wait to see the new improvements. The Crow is being updated at the same time, correct?
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Robin G10!
A fistful of handle, a small pointy but rugged blade that starts to cut right next to the index finger and some weight to really feel the little big knife.
daveconvex

Post by daveconvex »

My favourite BYRD knife-s are the byrd wings and slipit
because two blade gives you twice the change of having a sharp blade!
Attachments
R0072361.jpg
R0072337.jpg
R0072342.jpg
R0072344.jpg
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I don't have the regular Wings yet but you can see my post about the Wings SlipIt which is one of my favorite knives at a great price.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
v8r

Post by v8r »

Pelican. Easy to make a wharnie out of and a great all around knife. Wish they would make a second version.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Here's all my byrds... Cara Cara2 FRN, Hawkbill FRN and Meadowlark2 G10. Fav is the ML2 G10 (love the notched stainless backspacer... very upscale looking). If the Hawkbill was in G10 like the ML2 then it would be my fav (love the hawkbill blade on the byrd... better shape IMO than on the Harpy or even the Crossbill).
The ML2 is my usual "around the house in the morning in my pajamas knife". Takes care of all those early morning cutting tasks. :D
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
spyder moist

Post by spyder moist »

As a few people have said the byrd wings slippit its a cracking little knife,
ive had mine sine october 2009 and it is my work knife, it get dirty greasy and used every day
the SE blade is used for rope cuts and breaking down cardboard boxes and cutting cable ties,
and the plain blade is there for wire stripping,cutting hvac lagging and tape and general edc tasks.

the blades are wiped down after use, the knife is cleaned and oiled and sharpened every 1-2 weeks ( the steel is real easy to get razor sharp with a few strokes of the UF rods on the sharp maker). Ive never had a problem with rust
overall a real gem of a work knife thanks spyderco/ byrd :spyder: :)
In sal we trust
smeecogg

Post by smeecogg »

love my wings!!!! just today actually i received in the mail my first meadowlark and flight, which are absolutely beautiful knives (pics to come). Have been looking everywhere for the Byrd Rench!!!!!!!! but nobodies selling theirs, no store, no person, nobody. Sweet little tool, very classy. Can't even find anything similar.

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Just ordered a Wings, a Cara Cara Rescue and a G10 Cara Cara. Looking forward to them. I am curious as to whether the extra length and locking of the Wings makes me love it more than the SlipIt version.
-
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

smeecog, I picked up my byrdWrench a couple of years ago for about 45 bucks IIRC, on closeout. Great tool, I think the geeky tech factor is very high, and I chose it because it had a plain edge. Coulda sworn I saw one for about 75$ US last night while shopping. If I see it again, I'll make mention.
-
smeecogg

Post by smeecogg »

@ defenestrate, cheers, i appreciate that. i see them on the web sometimes but when i go and place the order they always come back and tell me the item is discontinued or out of stock!!
Nemonomicon

Post by Nemonomicon »

The Crow CE. Sub 3 inch blade, black G-10 handle and a lower blade hole hump.