Resilience first impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Resilience first impressions

Post by vivi »

This is a little smaller than I expected.

Handle is about the same size as a Pacific Salt. Sure packs in a lot more cutting edge though!

Very smooth action.

Fit and finish looks good except for the G10 being a bit proud of the liners on one side.

Lock release jimping isn't as sharp as the Military. Less effective at providing traction. Liner lock is slightly less exposed than the Millie, but still easy to operate.

Very nice ergonomics for my hand.

Much happier with this than I was with the Tenacious. This size will work better for me.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Re: Resilience first impressions

Post by skeeg11 »

Everyone likes to hear about it when you get a new toy. :p Will you be posting impressions in the main Spyderco forum? Looking forward to your objective unbiased opinion of Spyderco's heat treat of 8Cr13MoV. How will it compare in edge retention and sharpening ease compared to H1 & LC200N?
Last edited by skeeg11 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:55 am
Everyone likes to hear about it when you get a new toy. :p Will you be posting impressions in the main Spyderco forum? Looking forward to your objective unbiased opinion of Spyderco's heat treat of 8CrMoV13. How will it compare in edge retention and sharpening ease compared to H1 & LC200N?
Get back to me in August :p

I plan to put a low grit edge on it sometime soon and carry it the first week of next month. I cut a few things with it to get an idea of how it handles and I'm already a fan.

Comparing it side by side to a Military, it is shorter folded up, but offers way more cutting edge and a more spacious grip. I plan to use them side by side. I've always felt designs like the Resilience make more sense. Design a comfortable grip with the edge all the way to the handle and there's no real need for a choil for choking up.

Edge retention and sharpening should be in the ballpark of H1 and LC based on my past experiences with 8Cr. I don't think I ever tried 8Cr with a really coarse edge though, so that will be a fun experiment.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Nice review. While in my experience 8Cr doesn't hold an edge for long periods of time, it does touch up easily! I actually kinda like that because it satisfies that urge to "fidget" with your knife. My Carbone Opinel is like that, nice and sharp, but does loose an edge fairly quickly. But I give it a couple of strokes on the brown rods every few days and it just keeps slicing away!
vivi

Post by vivi »

z1r wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:45 am
Nice review. While in my experience 8Cr doesn't hold an edge for long periods of time, it does touch up easily! I actually kinda like that because it satisfies that urge to "fidget" with your knife. My Carbone Opinel is like that, nice and sharp, but does loose an edge fairly quickly. But I give it a couple of strokes on the brown rods every few days and it just keeps slicing away!
I'm excited to try a really coarse edge on 8Cr and see how edge retention improves compared to more polished edges. I haven't really used 8Cr since I started sharpening in the 200-400 grit range.

Debating whether to order some micarta for this.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

z1r wrote:
I wonder if spyderco uses better 8cr13mov or different suppliers in Resilience then the Byrd line , my Cara Cara, also needs some “ fidelity time “ ? Was thinking about upgrading to bd1n but that gets in the lower premium price range
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:36 pm
z1r wrote:
I wonder if spyderco uses better 8cr13mov or different suppliers in Resilience then the Byrd line , my Cara Cara, also needs some “ fidelity time “ ? Was thinking about upgrading to bd1n but that gets in the lower premium price range
I bought a CE Tenacious at Ace Hardware recently cuz I had a Coupon. I love that knife. I'll say this much, the Spyderco 8Cr seems much better than the 8Cr in my CRKT's.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Just curious. Why is this in the Byrd knife subforum? It may be an economy/budget line model, but that hole is round, the warranty is for life instead of a year, and the blade is marked Spyderco.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:04 am
Just curious. Why is this in the Byrd knife subforum? It may be an economy/budget line model, but that hole is round, the warranty is for life instead of a year, and the blade is marked Spyderco.
My knives may be sharp but I never claimed I was :clinking-mugs
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

z1r wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:09 am
S-3 ranch wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:36 pm
z1r wrote:
I bought a CE Tenacious at Ace Hardware recently cuz I had a Coupon. I love that knife. I'll say this much, the Spyderco 8Cr seems much better than the 8Cr in my CRKT's.
Spyderco's 8Cr13Mov seems a little better than CRKT's. Unfortunately, the best 8Cr13Mov is still significantly worse than your average 9Cr18Mov, 14C28N, N690, etc. With those steels being available at the same price, I just haven't been able to justify a Resilience. When Spyderco gets around to upgrading its budget steel, I'd be interested to try this model.

I see an S35VN Resilience in the "coming soon". Are any of you planning to get one?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm more excited for the CE DLC model personally. Steels like 8Cr hold an edge long enough for me sharpening them with a thin bevel and coarse edge. I EDC PE H1 and it treats me well.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

chronovore wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 am

I see an S35VN Resilience in the "coming soon". Are any of you planning to get one?
Yes.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Any updates on your resilience?! I’ve been really enjoying my SE tenacious at work and SS stretch (vg10) at home, but have been thinking that if I have a handle that big, I might as well get the edge length of a resilience!

Some of my interest is bleed over from the low grit sharpening thread. Seems most of that focuses on H1 and some of the other mainline steels, but I’m curious about your experience with it on the 8cr. I have a number of Byrd knives as well as some of the value line 8cr and bd1n plain edge. I’m playing with the idea of getting an 80grit and 250grit Diamond matrix set for my Edgepro rather than another knife! The efficient and tenacious are probably my favorite designs right now but the edge on my efficient isn’t quite so, well, efficient!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear DaleKHayes:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
vivi

Post by vivi »

bjz wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:42 am
Any updates on your resilience?! I’ve been really enjoying my SE tenacious at work and SS stretch (vg10) at home, but have been thinking that if I have a handle that big, I might as well get the edge length of a resilience!

Some of my interest is bleed over from the low grit sharpening thread. Seems most of that focuses on H1 and some of the other mainline steels, but I’m curious about your experience with it on the 8cr. I have a number of Byrd knives as well as some of the value line 8cr and bd1n plain edge. I’m playing with the idea of getting an 80grit and 250grit Diamond matrix set for my Edgepro rather than another knife! The efficient and tenacious are probably my favorite designs right now but the edge on my efficient isn’t quite so, well, efficient!
8Cr has been working well with low grit edges. I've gotten to try it in PE and CE. I like the PE the best.

Recently I cut up a bunch of cloth with my PE Resilience. Needed to re-stuff my punching bag. It held an edge great. I was slicing the fabric with the belly against a thick plastic cutting board I keep it the garage for utility stuff like that. It definitely dulled some during the hundreds of cuts, but iy was still slicing well at the end of the job. Gave it two strokes per side on a medium spydsrco stone and it was back to shaving.

One thing I like about 8Cr is how fast it is to sharpen or reprofile. It grinds much faster than something like S30V, much less higher edge retention steels like S110V or Maxamet.

The serrated portion of my CE Resilience just takes a few swipes of the fine rod and it's back to sharp. I don't even bother with the sharpmaker, I just hold the rod in one hand and the knife in the other.

The PE Resilience and the PE section of my CE copy get sharpened like my other PE knives - 200-400 grit diamond plates with no follow up. 8Cr lasts a lot, lot longer sharpened this way compared to when I took it up to around 2,000 grit. The steel performance is pretty solid for the $$ sharpened this way.
vivi wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:48 am

I swapped scales from a PE G10 to my CE FRN for a year or two, but today decided to switch them back to their factory configurations to save a little weight. The G10 scales have a nice feel in the hand, but they add half an ounce. I also like the enhanced grip of the FRN scales.

Waiting on the DLC Military 2 to come out, and whenever it does I plan to order one, along with an FRN PE blacked out Resilience. To be honest I'm more excited about the new Resilience!
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I just got a Persistence during the sale. It also surprised me after using it a little, already makes me want the S35VN version.

100% agree with your assertion about medium sized knives not benefitting from choils.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I carried a Persistence for a few years and loved it.

Then I found this forum....
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

After using CE for a bit in my Thin Line Endela, I contemplate swapping out my RV glove compartment folding knife from the current SE 8cr Tenacious to a CE Resilience. Serving as an all-round backup knife and on-the-go food prep knife, I think I will benefit from CE over SE. And with the primary use being food prep I think a small bump in size will be appreciated as well.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the LW line move to skeletonized liners. And M4 eventually trickling out across the lineup.. Would make it hard to justify anything else for pure work knife value.
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:26 am
After using CE for a bit in my Thin Line Endela, I contemplate swapping out my RV glove compartment folding knife from the current SE 8cr Tenacious to a CE Resilience. Serving as an all-round backup knife and on-the-go food prep knife, I think I will benefit from CE over SE. And with the primary use being food prep I think a small bump in size will be appreciated as well.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the LW line move to skeletonized liners. And M4 eventually trickling out across the lineup.. Would make it hard to justify anything else for pure work knife value.
I'd be all about an M4 Resilience, particularly if they offer it in a coated option.

The Resilience has skeletonized liners in either handle configuration. Satin finished liners are from my g10 model, black liners from me CE FRN.
vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:58 pm

Uncoated liners VS coated. Bits of rust on the uncoated, none on the coated.
The Resilience makes a pretty good folding food prep knife thanks to the size and wide blade. The serrations can be handy for initiating cuts in crusty breads.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:37 pm

I'd be all about an M4 Resilience, particularly if they offer it in a coated option.

The Resilience has skeletonized liners in either handle configuration. Satin finished liners are from my g10 model, black liners from me CE FRN.

Wow, I somehow missed the fact they were skeletonized. It is also the case for my Tenacious - just checked. Wonder where I got that idea from? Thanks for correcting my wrongs!
vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:58 pm
The Resilience makes a pretty good folding food prep knife thanks to the size and wide blade. The serrations can be handy for initiating cuts in crusty breads.
That’s what I’m hoping for. As a dedicated car knife it’s nice to have something that can easily handle a crusty baguette, but most of my food prep benefits from PE, so a larger blade with a much larger PE portion seems like such an obvious choice from my current perspective.
It’s not that long ago I too was infected with the internet mind virus claiming CE was no good. I even remember being disappointed when we were told they couldn’t make a full SE Resilience, and I wouldn’t even consider the CE.
This winter I finally bought a CE Endela to dive into the matter myself, and can now safely say this myth is debunked along with so many other internet truths.
I got the SE Tenacious at a ridiculous price, at least from a European perspective, so no regrets on that decision, but it will no doubt be replaced by a CE Resilience before long. At this point I probably wouldn’t even consider a full SE if it was available. I just love how suddenly perspectives can change sometimes. Always keep an open mind and don’t be married to your ideas.