Re: Is there a BYRD in your pocket??

Post by sal »

Hi Bjz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Not yet but when my Byrd hawkbill gets here there will be.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi

Post by vivi »

blade swap?

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:22 pm
blade swap?

Yes :) when the titanium Byrds were discontinued I knew I had to grab one. The titanium hawkbill swap just had to be done.
AWOODILL

Post by AWOODILL »

I purchased my Byrd Meadowlark 2 about two months ago. Being new to the knife hobby/obsession/addiction, I wanted to see if I actually liked the "weird-looking knives with the hole in the blade". :) I LOVED it. Absolutely bulletproof - the lock engages so hard I could not believe this was a "bargain/budget brand" knife. It only took about 2 weeks for me to get online and order my Efficient from the online store. :) I am now saving my pennies to get my dream knife: the Para 3.

So no, there is not a Byrd in my pocket, but it is in my EDC bag as my #1 backup.
Attachments
20210108_164851.jpg
-Efficient /Byrd Meadowlark 2
DEAR SPYDERCO: Please make some morale patches. Thank you. :)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

AWOODILL wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:03 pm
I purchased my Byrd Meadowlark 2 about two months ago. Being new to the knife hobby/obsession/addiction, I wanted to see if I actually liked the "weird-looking knives with the hole in the blade". :) I LOVED it. Absolutely bulletproof - the lock engages so hard I could not believe this was a "bargain/budget brand" knife. It only took about 2 weeks for me to get online and order my Efficient from the online store. :) I am now saving my pennies to get my dream knife: the Para 3.

So no, there is not a Byrd in my pocket, but it is in my EDC bag as my #1 backup.
Great looking little knife mate, ive got my first Byrd on the way, the hawkbill.
Looking forward to getting it in hand.
I got a para 3 satin blade, Camo scales, absolutely outstanding knife, perfect size too.
You will love it bro, very good choice, my fav Spyderco Knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Awoodill,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
AWOODILL

Post by AWOODILL »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:15 pm
Hi Awoodill,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you, sal! Just FYI: I had a terrific experience with my first purchase from the online store - even received a wonderful reply email from Joyce Laituri after I dropped a quick note of thanks. You've got a great team. :)
-Efficient /Byrd Meadowlark 2
DEAR SPYDERCO: Please make some morale patches. Thank you. :)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Awoodill,

Thanx much for the kind words. Joyce is the best. One of our many 20+ year veterans at Spyderco. We are fortunate to have such great crew.

sal
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

PeaceInOurTime,
I bought a Meadowlark in Ti hoping to swap a hawkbill blade into it (also a Ti Cara Cara looking to swap the waved Cara Cara blade if successful), but found that reassembling the FRN Meadowlark was difficult - there was a kind of plastic pin toward the middle of the body that tended to twist - I put it back together for fear of messing up two knives and while it works okay the action isn't very good. Any suggestions for the swap? Is the Ti one easier to insert a blade into? Any tutorials/videos you recommend? I suspect I simply missed a good way to do it right but I'd rather leave them alone than have two knives that didn't seem quite right.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

defenestrate wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:39 am
PeaceInOurTime,
I bought a Meadowlark in Ti hoping to swap a hawkbill blade into it (also a Ti Cara Cara looking to swap the waved Cara Cara blade if successful), but found that reassembling the FRN Meadowlark was difficult - there was a kind of plastic pin toward the middle of the body that tended to twist - I put it back together for fear of messing up two knives and while it works okay the action isn't very good. Any suggestions for the swap? Is the Ti one easier to insert a blade into? Any tutorials/videos you recommend? I suspect I simply missed a good way to do it right but I'd rather leave them alone than have two knives that didn't seem quite right.

Well, when I blade swap a back lock knife, I don't completely disassemble it. When I blade swapped my Meadowlark and Hawkbill, I only removed the blade pivot and the lock pivot. It's been a while since I've disassembled my old Cara Cara 2s, but I think I remember the plastic pin you're referring to and it can be a bit tricky. I'd recommend trying to reassemble the handle without the spring and lockbar, adding those and the blade last. Hope that helps a little :o
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

PeaceInOurTime,
Thanks. I was considering doing that but the fitment on the spring didn't feel right, or perhaps I had trouble getting the washers back into place. Will try it with teh already slightly off FRN Hawkbill and see how it goes sometime.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Yes, there is. And I'm really impressed with how well finished it is. It has little to envy its Taiwan or Golden cousins ​​in terms of fit & finish. Obviously steel can't be compared to an s30v or an M390, but I'm loving it. It holds the edge for a decent amount of time and sharpens so easily ...

Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

A few pics from today :)
Love the Hawkbill and the titanium makes it special :D

Blackbyrd

Post by Blackbyrd »

I believe this is a Meadowlark. Purchased at a PX in
thumbnail_IMG_0013.jpg
Iraq. Used very hard. Still functions flawlessly. I have a few worthless folders. This was the least expensive and most enduring. It was also used the hardest. A new Delica should arrive today.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Blackbyrd wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 am
I believe this is a Meadowlark. Purchased at a PX in thumbnail_IMG_0013.jpg Iraq. Used very hard. Still functions flawlessly. I have a few worthless folders. This was the least expensive and most enduring. It was also used the hardest. A new Delica should arrive today.

Nice!! The byrd line is a really great value, that's awesome that it's the knife that served you the best. Congrats on the new Delica and welcome to the forum!
So it goes.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I always carry the fully serrated byrd meadowlark hawkbill. My top 3 EDC carry. Perfect for rough work, branch trimming, box cutting, Etc..etc.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Moseng,

Welcome to our family.

sal