Byrd Harrier 2 LWT (1st impressions/bladeplay)

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
samiam

Byrd Harrier 2 LWT (1st impressions/bladeplay)

Post by samiam »

Replacing a Delica sent to the unknown.

Great thin slice-y option with a blade and handle length intermediate in length between Delica and Endura. For day-to-day use I appreciate the less swept point of the Delica/Endura profile much more than I expected, otherwise I would have replaced the Delica with a Stretch; but, $$ and I have a million other knives for animal processing (swept points).

However, the side-to-side play in the unlocked blade seemed excessive and I was unable to tighten the pivot enough to change this (doesn't even begin to stiffen opening, and the blade will still rattle with the lock-bar depressed. If this isn't a design feature, I suspect pivot washers from a thicker bladed model using the same lock-bar thickness were used. It seems like a 3mm lock-bar was used and the blade is, nominally, 2.8mm.

Is this normal? I notice it in use. If normal, are there suggestions on replacement washer thickness's to get?

Thanks all,

:-)
rangefinder

Re: Byrd Harrier 2 LWT (1st impressions/bladeplay)

Post by rangefinder »

I have the G10 version of the Harrier 2, not the FRN/lightweight version. But with my knife, there is zero side-to-side movement with the blade in any position, from fully closed to fully open.

I also have a Byrd Cara Cara 2 rescue that has FRN handles. And it also has no side-to-side blade play.

So I'd say that this not normal. You should probably contact Spyderco customer service (or the dealer) to have it checked or exchanged.
z1r

Post by z1r »

My first Spyderco was a Byrd Harrier 2 Lightweight. I initially thought it too big but have really come to appreciate the size and value the knife represents. Mine is but a month old but has no play in it.
bjz

Post by bjz »

I purchased two of these last summer (just in case one had QC issues). They are both 100% solid with zero adjustments needed. I have a meadowlark 2 as well as a meadowlark rescue all in frn. Zero side to side play. (The rescue has developed vertical play from years of use and sitting wet for days on end in a life vest, but still no side to side).

Id say have it checked if you are worried, especially since you weren’t able to adjust it out.
sal

Post by sal »

I Samiam,

Welcome to our forum. Blade play is most important in the open and locked position. We really don't push for very close tolerance in the unlocked position. If it's really a problem for you, you can send it to us and we'll make it right.

Hi Bjz,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the comments.

sal
samiam

Post by samiam »

Thanks all! I must have notifications off because I didn't notice all the replies. I contacted the seller (big internet retailer) and they basically said they would facilitate sending it to Spyderco, so I just sent it direct to Golden, CO.

Sal: Thank you, if I had noticed this earlier I would have first touched bases with you or whomever you suggested before sending it in (PM sent).

Once I have it in my hands again, I'll let you guys know it works: I'm sure it will be great, it has a thin and flat blade. What else could one want?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Samiam,

Keep us posted.

sal
samiam

Post by samiam »

Hello Sal, thanks for hosting such a responsive, informative and civil
forum!

I sent in the Harrier with the warranty form and just got a letter back
saying that "no defects in manufacturing" were found, do I want the knife
back or do I want to pay 25$ to have it "fixed" (Ref: XXXXX). I kinda disagree:
I know you mentioned the tolerances don't need to be extremely refined, but I
think this particular example is out of even generous spec.

I think I sent an email through the forum to you, but I'm not sure it went?
sal

Post by sal »

Emails are funny these days. Please send it to Alex (asmith@spydrco.com) and explain in detail the problem. Alex can check with Warranty and get the back story.

sal