Byrd with high-end steel

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
anagarika

Re: Byrd with high-end steel

Postby anagarika » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Used my Cara Cara to open some boxes (mostly tape but cut into some of the cardboard wall/side). Cleaned up and touched up on UF rod, it’s back to shaving my face nicely.

8Cr is no slouch.
Chris :spyder:

Dexturete

Postby Dexturete » Sun May 03, 2020 12:38 pm

carrot wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:05 am
sal wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 am
Kizer has their own heat treating facility. We've met with them a few times and they want to work with us. We've not moved forward. However, working with Kizer will be more expensive than byrd brand prices.
The Kizer knives I've handled (and owned) are beautifully made but could really use some Spyderco design. Anything coming out of this potential partnership would easily become my favorite EDCs. I really, really hope things work out!
This would be an excellent partnership.

GarageBoy

Postby GarageBoy » Tue May 12, 2020 8:55 am

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:05 pm
We'll be discussing the D2 option. Most will be out for the next month for series of shows.

sal
Only if it meets your standards of HT - we don't need more D2 for the sake of D2 :) :spyder:

Donut

Postby Donut » Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm

I was wondering how much better D2 is than 8Cr13. I've been kind of on a cheap knife kick off and on recently.

It seems like a lot of made in China knives come with AUS-8 or 8Cr13 (which translates to english as 440C :) ) or D2 is usually an option.

Are the Chinese steel factories capable of making a particle version of D2? CPM's D2 seemed to be pretty nice.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

araneae

Postby araneae » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:29 pm

8Cr13 is closer to Aus-8 than 440c from what I recall. You've got to watch Chinese D2, there are budget brands using legit D2 and other things fraudulently labeled D2. Even different knives with the same brand name can test as real and fake. Heat treat is another concern. Luvthemknives on YouTube tests a lot of them. There are some great Chinese made knives out there right now if you do some research.

That said, if Spyderco had a maker that could do D2 properly, it could be a selling feature for a lot of people. I'm not sure it is worth the premium that some companies charge, for example, a Honey Badger medium is $37 for 8Cr13, $57 for D2. Not worth it in my opinion. Exporting cpmD2 would add a lot to the cost. Standard D2, done well, is a good steel if you don't mind a bit lower corrosion resistance.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Just got:Rex 45 Para 3 LTWT, Harrier 2 LTWT

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Return to “byrd Knife General Discussion”