Posting Pictures

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
TTFulltimer

Posting Pictures

Post by TTFulltimer »

Any pictures I put on my website I cannot post here. If I send them to someone on Facebook Messenger, I can post it. Example.

img]http://digphoto.net/images/mulefacesm.jpg[/img Brackets removed to show link.

Image With image brackets in place

Yet from Facebook Messenger

Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
Josh Crutchley

Re: Posting Pictures

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TTFulltimer wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:08 am
Any pictures I put on my website I cannot post here. If I send them to someone on Facebook Messenger, I can post it. Example.
You could just post them here if they're smaller than 1mb. The example picture is small enough and any that are larger could be resized.
Attachments
mulefacesm.jpg
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

That picture stored in my website folder is 409K
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

TTFulltimer wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:08 am

img]http://digphoto.net/images/mulefacesm.jpg[/img Brackets removed to show link.

Image With image brackets in place

Yet from Facebook Messenger

TTFulltimer wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:27 am
That picture stored in my website folder is 409K
Hi, TTFulltimer:
The issue isn't the image, but rather the site you're sharing from. The forum is secure (you can see the padlock in the address bar), but the site you're sharing from isn't. Since the site you're sharing from isn't secure, the forum won't show the image. The image you shared from Facebook is secure (you'll see the same padlock in the address bar).

Since your image is only 409K, you can upload it directly to the forum. If you look below the Save draft, Preview, and Submit buttons, you'll see two tabs. Select "Attachments," click add files, and then upload your image and place it in your post.

If you want to share directly from your site, I'm afraid you'll have to secure your site first in order for that to work here.

I hope this helps. I'm moving this thread into the Tech Support area of the forum since it's about functionality on the forum.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Thank you Kristi. I will try the attachment feature.
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

muleedgesm.jpg
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Pretty scales,TT.

In my opinion, it's ALWAYS best to scale down your pics and then upload them to the Spyderco Forum site. In the few short years since Algore invented the internet, there have been innumerable "image hosting" sites that have come and gone. Wherever you're sharing your pictures now, there's a good chance that eventually the site will fade away, go behind a paywall, or change the directory path. When that happens, the images you shared on the forum will disappear forever.

If you want your images to have a better chance of surviving, upload them here.

TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:47 pm

Pretty scales,TT.

In my opinion, it's ALWAYS best to scale down your pics and then upload them to the Spyderco Forum site. In the few short years since Algore invented the internet, there have been innumerable "image hosting" sites that have come and gone. Wherever you're sharing your pictures now, there's a good chance that eventually the site will fade away, go behind a paywall, or change the directory path. When that happens, the images you shared on the forum will disappear forever.

I have had my website since 1998, so I think things will last there. I will upload them here as they will always last on my storage drives. About 18Terabytes now since 1994 or so. I do my best to avoid using anyone else's computer, that is all a cloud is, just Frank in his mom's basement.
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

BB8FFCDA-A7D5-4DF5-A6B7-94C11459B956.jpeg
It worked! Thanks!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:47 pm

Pretty scales,TT.

I've got about 330 photos posted here from a Chinese host that I randomly selected one day, and while the site has been great thus far, I worry about this scenario on a semi-regular basis...
So it goes.
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Screenshot_20240111_204022_Photos_copy_879x2257.jpg
Screenshot_20240111_204124_Photos_copy_1045x1680.jpg
Test post:
I'm trying to figure out why the pictures I post are so itty bitty while everyone elses' are so big.
I had to resize them in order to get them to post but maybe I was resizing them too far.
I just found a way to resize the pictures to 1Mb, so maybe this will be better.
Here goes...

Looking at my preview, these pictures are still way smaller than most. I see posted here.
Does anybody know what's going on with this?
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You can try an image hosting site. I use the link on the thread linked below. Use option 2 Direct Link. When you click on the full editor (on the Spyderco Forum) while posting a reply on the forum, you can click on the picture button after you copy the direct link from site mentioned in the thread below. The cursor goes right to the center and you can paste the link. Works great and becomes second nature.

viewtopic.php?t=83968
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Ya, I guess you are talking in some terms I don't understand.
I don't have a picture button, I just see an attachments button.
I went to that side and uploaded a picture but couldn't get it to load on my post.
It just came up as a bunch of words and letters, No picture.
I'd like to upload pictures from my phone. I resized them to 1Mb, but they post so small, you really cant see them well.
No fun.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

When you are typing the reply, make sure and choose the editor button. It will give you options like embedding a photo.

It will bring you to a different screen. Click the photo button.

It will give you a bracket like this:

You can paste your direct link from the Post Image site in between the brackets.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Great, that last post helped...
I have those brackets come up previously, but didn't know to place the picture in between them. I took those straight off my phone... not sure they are larger.
I'll try it off of that image site in a little while if I can make my way back to it...
Thx all!
Attachments
hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v1611609838_copy_600x600_copy_450x450_1.jpg
Screenshot_20240111_204124_Photos_copy_1045x1680.jpg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Awesome!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005