searching forum is painful

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
sethwm

searching forum is painful

Post by sethwm »

Searching this forum is a pain. I type a search term, get a page of results. if I try to go to the second page, I get a message that says "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in 22 seconds."

Obviously this is due to search being expensive against the backend database. My guess it it's something like "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE body LIKE "%$TERM% ORDER BY date". There are ways to solve this (https://www.elastic.co, https://aws.amazon.com/opensearch-service/, etc).

Please make this better.

EDIT: ok ok I just saw TazKristi's pinned message. Sorry for the spam. You can still make this better though, but maybe it's an investment you don't want to make. And if the issue is bots, there are ways to mitigate being DDOS'd by them (throttling repetitive search terms, source IP blocks, etc) that doesn't impact everyone.
Coastal

Re: searching forum is painful

Post by Coastal »

I’ve found that exiting the forum and using Google with the words “Spyderco forum” appended to the topic works surprisingly well.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sethwm wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:53 am
Searching this forum is a pain. I type a search term, get a page of results. if I try to go to the second page, I get a message that says "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in 22 seconds."
EDIT: ok ok I just saw TazKristi's pinned message. Sorry for the spam. You can still make this better though, but maybe it's an investment you don't want to make. And if the issue is bots, there are ways to mitigate being DDOS'd by them (throttling repetitive search terms, source IP blocks, etc) that doesn't impact everyone.

Agreed. Using Google, or other search engines may work if you're searching some relatively obscure word, but the lack of filtration makes it at least equally as frustrating as the Forum's search function if, for example, you're looking for a thread started by a specific member with a specific, but unfortunately common, word in the title.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:02 pm
I’ve found that exiting the forum and using Google with the words “Spyderco forum” appended to the topic works surprisingly well.

This.
I actually don´t use the search function of the forum anymore, but just Google...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)