Helpful feature, please

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Helpful feature, please

Post by Doc Dan »

I am a member of Badger and Blade. That forum has a feature that I have found to be extremely helpful. There is a drop down menu where I can see all of the threads I have posted in and if anyone posts to it the thread title is highlighted. If I click on it, it takes me right to the new post. There is a similar one for threads I have started that operates the same way.

Wouldn't this be a helpful feature on this forum? That way, out of sight would not be out of mind, so to speak, and I would have have to hunt and hunt for threads.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Re: Helpful feature, please

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The notifications bell icon does just that. You may have to adjust the settings in your profile if notifications don't show up.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:04 pm
I am a member of Badger and Blade. That forum has a feature that I have found to be extremely helpful. There is a drop down menu where I can see all of the threads I have posted in and if anyone posts to it the thread title is highlighted. If I click on it, it takes me right to the new post. There is a similar one for threads I have started that operates the same way.

Wouldn't this be a helpful feature on this forum? That way, out of sight would not be out of mind, so to speak, and I would have have to hunt and hunt for threads.

There may be the exact same feature, if I understand you right:
Unbenannt1.PNG
Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt3.PNG
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Senfkarte wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:46 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Unbenannt1.PNG
Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt3.PNG
It's close but no cigar. Over there, those that have been posted on are highlighted as well. So, for example, if I pull up my threads, those that people have replied to are high lighted. If I pull up threads with my posts, those with new posts are highlighted. In other words, those I have not read are highlighted. Also, I can watch posts and the forum alerts me when someone responds.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Unfortunately not all forum software works the same. Most you can turn features on and off. My guess is...if this forum had that feature it would already be activated.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:44 am
Senfkarte wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:46 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Unbenannt1.PNG
Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt3.PNG
It's close but no cigar. Over there, those that have been posted on are highlighted as well. So, for example, if I pull up my threads, those that people have replied to are high lighted. If I pull up threads with my posts, those with new posts are highlighted. In other words, those I have not read are highlighted. Also, I can watch posts and the forum alerts me when someone responds.
Hey, Doc:
Our forum is built with phpBB and the Badger and Blade Forum is built with XenForo - two very different platforms. That said, our forum does offer this feature, but it looks different.

If you click on the "Your Posts" link in the Quick Links menu you'll see every thread you've posted in, in chronological order. If the icon on the left side is red, there are new posts in that thread since your last visit. "Your Posts" includes both threads that you've started and threads that you've posted in.
UnreadPostsIcon.jpg
UnreadPostsIcon.jpg (3.05 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
If the icon on the left side is blue, there are NO new posts since your last visit. You can also hover over the icons and it will state either unread posts or no unread posts.
NoUnreadPostsIcon.jpg
NoUnreadPostsIcon.jpg (2.88 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
When there are new posts, you'll also see a little orange square between the left side icon and the thread title. Click that orange square and it will take you to the first unread post in that thread. Now in the thread itself, there isn't anything highlighted, but it will take you to the first unread post.
ClickGoToUnreadIcon.jpg
ClickGoToUnreadIcon.jpg (2.43 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
If you'd like to receive an alert when someone posts in any thread (whether you've posted in it or not), scroll down to the bottom of the thread (on any page of the thread) and click the dropdown arrow on the wrench icon. Then click Subscribe Topic. You can also unsubscribe following the same process. You can also receive notifications if you Bookmark a thread (under the same dropdown).
Subcribe.jpg
Subcribe.jpg (3.39 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Depending on your settings you'll either receive notifications through the forum (Notifications in the top right corner) or via e-mail. You can change your notification settings in the User CP (click on your name in the top right corner and select User Control Panel) under Board Preferences/Edit notification options.

I hope this helps!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks Kristi! An old dog has learned a new trick. I knew some of this was there, but I didn't fully comprehend it, apparently.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050