Feature or Flaw?

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
RustyIron

Feature or Flaw?

Post by RustyIron »

Obviously, I consider it a flaw. It's irritated me enough times, like sand in my shorts, so I'm finally going to say something. It's possible that the forum administrators don't know of this feature. Or maybe the feature is intentional.

When replying to a post, I'll compose my thoughts, turn them into typed words, and then review the response for spelling, grammar, and clarity. If it all looks ok, then I hit the "submit" button. The problem is when someone else responds in between my starting the response, and my submitting the response. When that happens, there is a "pop up" that asks if I really want to submit my post. The "pop up" is the feature that with which I take umbrage.

When I write a post, it is MY thoughts. It's not a copy of what I read on a knife blog, it's not a reflection of what Sal wrote in a post, it's not composed to reflect the general consensus of Spyderco Forum participants. I don't need to read whatever someone may have said within the past five minutes, to reaffirm my position.

When others are posting, I'm much more interested in diverse personal opinions, rather than a bunch of lemmings posting "Me, too!" Get RID of the "recent post warning." We'll say what we say. If we decide that we spoke two quickly, were unclear, or in fact mistaken, we can always recant or revise our previous post.
Sharp Guy

Re: Feature or Flaw?

Post by Sharp Guy »

It's definitely a feature, at least I consider it so. I've always assumed the software alerts you because what's been posted recently could affect how you reply. I normally don't read the new post(s) but I have a few times. It's pretty easy to just ignore and not something to get worked up about. Life's too short
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:40 pm
It's pretty easy to just ignore
Perhaps it's easier to ignore things. But that's not how I roll.

In my mind, every knife can be made sharper.
Every engine can run smoother.
Every process can be made more elegant.

What's the Spyderco mantra? CQI? It just doesn't apply to knives.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:01 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:40 pm
It's pretty easy to just ignore
Perhaps it's easier to ignore things. But that's not how I roll.

In my mind, every knife can be made sharper.
Every engine can run smoother.
Every process can be made more elegant.

What's the Spyderco mantra? CQI? It just doesn't apply to knives.
I worked for Danaher Corp for many years. I'm well aware of Kaizen and that whole business model

You're seeing a valid feature that annoys you as something that should be changed/removed. That's no different than you not liking the jimping on a Native 5, wanting it removed, and calling it CQI. I don't think most Native 5 fans would see that as an improvement to the model. I've been on other forums that don't have the feature in question. I've posted a reply only to find that others have posted the same answer while I was composing mine. I probably wouldn't bother to hit the send button had I known someone else already posted same thing. While it might be a little annoying to some I think the feature has it's merits and don't see why it should be removed just because it might be a little bothersome
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I like the "there's been new posts" feature.
Every now and then I'll start typing and then get distracted with doing something else, or I'll just plain take too long typing (actually, this is a lie, i take forever to post anything, except alerts). And then sometimes questions get answered thoroughly, in a manner of seconds, and my answer becomes a redundant "me too" comment.
Also, a lot of threads take on a life of their own. Conversation will veer off in one direction and then take a turn to another direction. If that happens, the "pop up" gives me the option to edit and stay with the flow of the conversation.
•• Beau
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I also appreciate the popup notification. It gives me the chance to include a response to any new posts if I choose or delete anything that they've made redundant. I've never taken it as in any way personally applying to the worth of my post, although I do sometimes digress and veer off into other areas. One thing I like about this forum is that everybody seems to tolerate digressions and extraneous comments (or maybe they just ignore them... whatever :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:20 pm
One thing I like about this forum is that everybody seems to tolerate digressions and extraneous comments
Right on, Doug. The diversity of interests, thoughts, and attention spans is what makes this place interesting. Excessively rigid rules can make a forum seem sterile and boring. I think Kristi does a pretty good job at balancing our undisciplined hooliganism with company interests, keeping us interested, yet not quashing our spirits.

P.S.
See what you did, there? Totally derailed the original topic!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:34 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:20 pm
One thing I like about this forum is that everybody seems to tolerate digressions and extraneous comments
Right on, Doug. The diversity of interests, thoughts, and attention spans is what makes this place interesting. Excessively rigid rules can make a forum seem sterile and boring. I think Kristi does a pretty good job at balancing our undisciplined hooliganism with company interests, keeping us interested, yet not quashing our spirits.

P.S.
See what you did, there? Totally derailed the original topic!!!
Ha! Maybe I can keep on getting away with it until they come up with a popup that flags blatant digression and outright change of subject?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Put me firmly in the "it's a feature" camp. At worst and most often, it's just been one more button to click. At best, it's allowed me to alter my response to address the newer post as well as the previous one(s) and, on at least one occasion, prevented me from posting a response based on misreading of the original question.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

:yawn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Feature or flaw? It's a Fleature, of course.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd like it if every time I tried to search something, or try scrolling through pages of whatever I'm searching for...if I didn't get that message that I can't for another 20 or 30 seconds each time. That is extremely annoying, feels like 1990's tech using dial up or something!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 am
I'd like it if every time I tried to search something, or try scrolling through pages of whatever I'm searching for...if I didn't get that message that I can't for another 20 or 30 seconds each time. That is extremely annoying, feels like 1990's tech using dial up or something!

Totally agree! That one is definitely a bug and, as if to add insult to injury, the latest version of the forum software has rendered my workaround for the scrolling delay by simply opening the next page in a new tab ineffective. :cussing
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:12 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 am

Totally agree! That one is definitely a bug and, as if to add insult to injury, the latest version of the forum software has rendered my workaround for the scrolling delay by simply opening the next page in a new tab ineffective. :cussing
Little tip I found : The "delete cookies" option at the end of the search page, allows to directly go to another page !

(Feel free to delete this message if it is inappropriate)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds