New Members - Moderation Queue

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
TazKristi

New Members - Moderation Queue

Post by TazKristi »

Since this is a common question, I thought to stick a post with some information.

Spyderco's forum is a unique, engaging community. We value our members and do all that we can to protect them, and our forum. Unfortunately, the popularity of our forum puts a huge target on it. On any given week, there are thousands of attempts to infiltrate the forum by spammers. On the low end, it's around 2,000 but we've seen it as high as 8,000.

It used to be that spammers were bots programmed by some bad actor. Those bots became more and more sophisticated all the time. But about 4 or 5 years ago, we started seeing spammers that were actual people. Turns out there's big business in spam/malware. There are "businesses" that employ people to sit on a computer all day just posting spam - kind of like old-school call centers that would ring your house just as you sat down to eat dinner.

We've seen spam accounts that make several seemingly legitimate posts only to go back and edit them later to include spam.

We've seen spam accounts copy older legitimate posts just to get past filters.

Some spam accounts just join, place links in their profile, and then lie and wait. Some forums limit posting based on how long someone has been a member, so this tactic is intended to get past a filter by waiting it out.

We employ several protocols to battle spam, but post moderation is often our last line of defense. Particularly when we're dealing with actual human beings. There are many data points that we use (which I won't go into), but please understand that it is a necessary inconvenience that is temporary. I am constantly looking at new technologies to make this fight easier for all of us. Unfortunately, something better doesn't exist... yet. ;)

We welcome all of our members and truly appreciate that you choose to spend time with us. It is for that reason that we take the safety of our forum seriously.

If you are a new member in post-approval, hang in there! It won't last forever.

Thanks much for your interest and understanding.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RustyIron

Re: New Members - Moderation Queue

Post by RustyIron »

Key, Kristi. I remember my first week here. I saw a thread about "What did you do with your Spyderco today?" I wrote about what I did with my Spyderco that day, and promptly got a spankin' because that's not what we do with Spyderco's here. I still might do that on occasion, but I'm careful not to talk about it. Anyway, I just say this to let anyone who is new and disgruntled, that they're not being singled out.

P.S.
It's Saturday. You're supposed to be taking the day off!
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

Is there a way to tell if you have a post in the queue? I'm not sure I hit submit last night:)
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

mreagan wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:44 am
Is there a way to tell if you have a post in the queue? I'm not sure I hit submit last night:)
Hi, mreagan:
You are no longer in the moderated group, so if you posted last night, it would have posted without moderation. :) I hope this helps.

Kristi
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Hi - I was fixing a typo in my first post which caused it to get pulled again Just letting you know I added to the post, namely, I’m guessing instead of I guessing.

That’s it. Didn’t want you to have to hunt around looking for what changed. Thanks.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:33 am
Hi - I was fixing a typo in my first post which caused it to get pulled again Just letting you know I added to the post, namely, I’m guessing instead of I guessing.

That’s it. Didn’t want you to have to hunt around looking for what changed. Thanks.
Hi, jwbnyc:
Thank you for your thoughtfulness! The forum lets us know when there's a post to moderate - even if it's an edit of an existing post. :) Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

I hate spammers too! Hopefully, the moderation period isn't too long!
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

How many approved posts are required before someone can post directly?
The weekend is probably the time when most people have chance to read, think, post and generally be involved in the forum. But understandably it’s the same time when Spyderco staff are themselves relaxing and maybe even active on their own interest forums 😀 I understand the spam issue and appreciate that I haven’t seen any here so far.