Probation period

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
bgcameron

Probation period

Post by bgcameron »

How long is it until I can post without approval from admin?

Thanks!

Edit: disregard- it appears that 10 posts is the magic number. :)
TazKristi

Re: Probation period

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, bgcameron:
It's actually not a specific number. Unfortunately, spammers have forced us to enact post approval for new members. Believe me, it's no picnic on this side either but it's what we must do to keep our forum safe, secure, and not overrun with spam. Just as a snapshot to help explain, one of our tools to block/manage spam has blocked more than 8K bots from seeing the forum so far today.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

I understand what spyderco is trying to do to maintain the integrity of the board. But what is the point in joining the board if we aren’t allowed to join in conversation.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, SLOSpyder:
I'm sorry, it is a bit disappointing. Believe me, my world would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to approve posts - but I do. We've seen spam accounts that make 5 seemingly legitimate posts only to go back and edit them later to include spam. I truly wish there was another way to handle it, but I don't see the issue going away. Hopefully, technology will get better and we'll finally have a leg-up on the spammers. In your case, you've been cleared, so post away and enjoy your time on our forum.

Thanks much for hanging in there!

Kristi
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

Thank you TazKristi! Bought my first spyderco 23 years ago.
rothnroll

Post by rothnroll »

I just started a new thread. Please approve!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

rothnroll wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 pm
I just started a new thread. Please approve!
Hi, rothnroll:
Just approved. Please be patient, particularly on weekends when we're not in the office. I do usually try to hop online over the weekend, but it doesn't always happen.

Welcome to our forum.

Kristi
kreisler

Post by kreisler »

Hi i am no spammer or bot. If you're on BladeForums, you probably know me from there. My posting frequency is maybe 3-6 posts per week. I was also all over CPF (2000+ posts) before i got more interested in knives than in flashlights. i still use several flashlights everyday.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:25 pm
...Believe me, my world would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to approve posts - but I do. We've seen spam accounts that make 5 seemingly legitimate posts only to go back and edit them later to include spam. I truly wish there was another way to handle it...
Some forums have a setting to turn off editing after about 30 minutes.
That would tie a knot in their rope.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:32 pm
TazKristi wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:25 pm
...Believe me, my world would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to approve posts - but I do. We've seen spam accounts that make 5 seemingly legitimate posts only to go back and edit them later to include spam. I truly wish there was another way to handle it...
Some forums have a setting to turn off editing after about 30 minutes.
That would tie a knot in their rope.
Hey, Mad Mac:
Yes, it would, but we have numerous long-running threads that members edit regularly. It's an imperfect system to be sure, but it's the best we can do at this time.

Kristi
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I understand. But consider that when a thread is edited, people interested in and subscribed to the thread do not receive a notification. The edit is lost in "the cloud".
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
jaysus145

Post by jaysus145 »

So... do you have to approve EVERY post - or just every post from NEW members? Every post could be tough - lol.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

jaysus145 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:36 pm
So... do you have to approve EVERY post - or just every post from NEW members? Every post could be tough - lol.
Not every post, just a certain number of posts for new members. ;)

Kristi
D-fens

Post by D-fens »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 am
jaysus145 wrote:

Kristi
Do you get a notification when your status changes? That’s one of the reasons my count stays so low, the hinderance in the engagement throws off the timing, could be 30 min, could be a day. Like last night Sal directly responded to one of my posts and my response was just approved this morning. I feel it stays plenty enough busy in here that if you can’t stay in relative time of the thread, it will be pushed down the list and does not receive the headlining optics of a 2 or 4 day old post. I completely understand why it exists, I just wish there was a better way to vet.
:bug-red-white "D-Fens" :usflag
D-fens

Post by D-fens »

D-fens wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:59 am
TazKristi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 am
jaysus145 wrote:

Kristi
Do you get a notification when your status changes? That’s one of the reasons my count stays so low, the hinderance in the engagement throws off the timing, could be 30 min, could be a day. Like last night Sal directly responded to one of my posts and my response was just approved this morning. I feel it stays plenty enough busy in here that if you can’t stay in relative time of the thread, it will be pushed down the list and does not receive the headlining optics of a 2 or 4 day old post. I completely understand why it exists, I just wish there was a better way to vet.
Well there’s my answer. Guess mine just got cut off! Thanks! Free at last free at last!
:bug-red-white "D-Fens" :usflag