"Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted"??

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
Evil D

"Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted"??

Post by Evil D »

This is a new one. Got this one on my phone just now.

20190217_185636.jpg

Cleared Chrome cache and cookies, logged back in and everything is fine. This wouldn't let me post or do anything though. :confused:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Re: "Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted"??

Post by Evil D »

Ok maybe not, I'm getting the same message again on my phone even after clearing the cache and deleting cookies.
~David
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 pm
Ok maybe not, I'm getting the same message again on my phone even after clearing the cache and deleting cookies.
Hey, David:
Can you PM the IP address it's showing you?

We use a few tools on the forum to help manage spam. One of those tools does look at IPs. To give you a rough idea, we blocked over 4K spam accounts in just the last 7 days.

The message shown to you is from Spamhaus. You can use their tool here, https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ to see which list your IP is on (some are worse than others). I'd take a look there and then follow up with your provider to see what actions they are taking based on which list their IP is listed on.

I'm sorry it's such a PITA but imagine the forum if those 4K + accounts got through.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Test
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So now it's working? Wtf is going on?
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This "blacklisted" thing happened to me occasionally since the forum was down in the beginning of 2019, but NEVER before.
I tried to follow what "Spamhaus" asked from me, but did not even unerstand all of it.
After some timeI always got delisted and could post again, without doing anything myself.
This only happened on my phone, never on my laptop at home.

But since a few days it gets REALLY annoying! Both on my phone and my laptop I am blocked from posting, on my laptop permanently, on my phone I get delisted and blackmailed again and delisted again and blackmailed again..

Let me say: I have no problems whatsoever anywhere else on the internet, and did never have such on this forum before the relaunch.

Please help. This is really annoying, and I have absolutely no idea what is going on.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's happened to me from my computer at work twice in the past 3 weeks. Seems to last around 3-4 days for whatever reason, then I'm able to post again. Very confusing!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:21 am
It's happened to me from my computer at work twice in the past 3 weeks. Seems to last around 3-4 days for whatever reason, then I'm able to post again. Very confusing!
Very ANNOYING, tbh, and I normally don´t get annoyed easily whatsoever... it was ok-ish when it only happened on my mobile phone, but now its also on my laptop at home, so in fact I never know if my posts will be actually POSTED...
and I have no idea why this is. Never, ever had anything like that happen anywhere else on the internet.
And never on this forum before the relaunch.

PS: Concerning THIS very post: Tried to post it from my laptop, was not possible due to me being "blacklisted" :mad:
Now I´ll safe the draft, and try to post from my phone. pure luck, if this will work or not.

Really hope some tech support will chime in soon and solve that issue! Really, if it stays like this I even think of leaving this great forum, as much as I love it. But I don´t have the time for such issues, and I found no way to solve it by myself
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Still can´t post from my laptop. Just from my phone, at least for now.

Asking for advice!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:10 am

Asking for advice!
Hi, Warstein:
The IP Blacklist isn't something we control, but it is something we need. It's part of the anti-spam software that we run in the background. It's sadly a necessary evil to help us protect the forum. When you see the message, it should also show you your IP address. Your IP address is controlled by your internet provider and they are the responsible party to correct the blacklist. Having an IP address that is blacklisted can have other challenges as well - your e-mail could be blocked or flagged as spam through major platforms as most do use Spamhaus as part of their protective protocols.

Once you have the IP address that is blocked, visit https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/. Enter it into the search fields to see why Spamhaus has blocked it. Once you have that information, contact your internet provider and explain the issue - it should be relatively easy for them to get the IP address cleared. It's even likely that your internet provider uses Spamhaus in some way already - Spamhaus has been around for more than 20 years and they are used by nearly every major e-mail platform in the world.

When you enter your IP into either of the search fields on the link above, you'll find detailed information about what needs to be done to get it removed.

I'm sorry that we have to utilize tools like these but to give you an idea of the necessity, the platform has blocked more than 134K spam attempts in just the past 7 days. Imagine what the forum would be like if all of those got through?

Please contact your provider. They should be able to quickly resolve the issue.

Thanks much for understanding.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:10 am

Asking for advice!
Hi, Warstein:
The IP Blacklist isn't something we control, but it is something we need. It's part of the anti-spam software that we run in the background. It's sadly a necessary evil to help us protect the forum. When you see the message, it should also show you your IP address. Your IP address is controlled by your internet provider and they are the responsible party to correct the blacklist. Having an IP address that is blacklisted can have other challenges as well - your e-mail could be blocked or flagged as spam through major platforms as most do use Spamhaus as part of their protective protocols.

Once you have the IP address that is blocked, visit https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/. Enter it into the search fields to see why Spamhaus has blocked it. Once you have that information, contact your internet provider and explain the issue - it should be relatively easy for them to get the IP address cleared. It's even likely that your internet provider uses Spamhaus in some way already - Spamhaus has been around for more than 20 years and they are used by nearly every major e-mail platform in the world.

When you enter your IP into either of the search fields on the link above, you'll find detailed information about what needs to be done to get it removed.

I'm sorry that we have to utilize tools like these but to give you an idea of the necessity, the platform has blocked more than 134K spam attempts in just the past 7 days. Imagine what the forum would be like if all of those got through?

Please contact your provider. They should be able to quickly resolve the issue.

Thanks much for understanding.

Kristi
Dear Kristi,

sorry for my late reply, somehow missed your post!

Thanks for taking the time to answer and explain in such detail!

I fully understand that you have to utilize tools like this, and am aware of that this forum partly is the great place it is cause you do. And I want to thank you again for the work you do!

Meanwhile I can post again both from my laptop and my phone, but that may change again or not (like it has in the past)

Only things that puzzles me a bit:

- Absolutely nowhere else on the internet did I ever have any problems like this whatsoever, so I thought that maybe the "spamfilter" for this forum could somewhat be "set to high"???
- Plus on my cellphoneI get blacklisted about one or two times a month, I have NO idea why, and get delisted again after a few hours or days without having to do anything myself. That´s a bit weird.

I tried to contact Spamhaus concerning my phone, but I can´t even completely figure out all the details they ask from me (or to put it better: I don´t take the time to get into IT deeper than I like... ;) )

Regardless, if the situations stays like it is (I can post from my laptop at home whenever I want, and from my phone at least most of the times) I am ok with that. :)

Thanks again, Kristi, have a nice weekend,

Gernot
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm having the exact same problem. It's weird, because I was able to post earlier in the day. Then, yesterday afternoon I got that notice. Right now I either have to use my phone as a hotspot, or actually post from my phone.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:26 am
I'm having the exact same problem. It's weird, because I was able to post earlier in the day. Then, yesterday afternoon I got that notice. Right now I either have to use my phone as a hotspot, or actually post from my phone.

Man! It happened to me again also just yesterday. Had the problem several times before, but not anymore for a pretty long time... till yesterday, as said.

It is really weird.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Going to spamhaus' website really wasn't any help, because I have no idea what they were talking about.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just got it on my phone once again. uuuuuuuuugh.
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

SEE???
Didn't I warn you that bad things would happen if you visited too many of those naughty web pages?

P.S.
It's a thing that can happen, but don't get too excited. Probably some hacker was using your ISP to do bad things, so the number was blocked. It will probably be resolved by the time you wake up tomorrow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Test

Cleared cache, rebooted, problem gone.
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Test 1,2...

Nope. Still doing it for me after I did all that.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Test

I got it again today, cleared cache and rebooted.
~David
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Got that the past few days, not only on this page.

If you're on the phone, like me, plane mode on, plane mode off, fixed.
You have automatic address assigned once you connect to network. If the one you're using gets blacklisted, simply reset as above