The new homepage is terrible

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
vivi

The new homepage is terrible

Post by vivi »

There are numerous issues with the new design.

First of all the header takes up half my screen. Why? The menu could easily fit in the black border at the very top so that I could actually view content.

Next, the scrolling is horrendous. Lets say I'm looking at a knife, for example the Ronin 2: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB09G2/933 I open the page and the scroll bar is at the top. I can see the knife. Alright, now I want to view the sheath. So I try to scroll down. I can tap the down arrow on my keyboard, use my mouse scroll wheel, or use the scroll bar on the right side of the screen and the effect is the same - the page jumps down so far I can't even see the sheath.

I don't understand the new design at all. You are making me jump through hoops to view basic content. If I want to do something as simple as look at the sheath to a fixed blade model I have to right click the image, copy the image source, press ctrl+l and paste that url in my browser.

What's going on?
TazKristi

Re: The new homepage is terrible

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Vivi:
We are, as always, open to constructive criticism and we've been actively listening to feedback and making adjustments. If you could provide a little more detail I'd be happy to look into the issues you're experiencing. Can you tell me what system/device you are viewing the site on? What browser are you using? What is your screen size? Do you have your browser view zoomed in or is it at the default 100%? The more information and constructive feedback you can provide the better. We're sorry that you think it's "terrible." I will say that the overwhelming majority of feedback that we've received on the new site is positive. Issues that we've heard have been fairly limited in scope and we've been addressing them and making adjustments since the launch of the new site.

I look forward to learning more about your issues on our site and working to resolve them.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I've also been having problems with the new format and have seen several of these threads with people experiencing similar issues. I was hoping that all those other posts would have helped the designer take care of the issues by now but it hasn't happened so maybe my input can help.

First: The main problem is centered around the header. It takes up about 40% of my screen with my zoom set at 100%. If I reduce the zoom to 90%, then the header takes up a more reasonable amount of space. This wouldn't be a big deal but I usually have my zoom set at 125% and with it set any lower I find the print to be too small on most web pages. I shouldn't have to change my zoom level when visiting the page. I don't have to do that for any other page that I visit. This could easily be fixed by letting the main header scroll instead of pinning it to the top of the page. You could pin the drop down menus to the top of the page and let the rest of the header scroll and that would probably work as well.

I am using a 15" laptop running Windows 8 and viewing using Google Chrome.

I hope this helps.
LDB

Post by LDB »

I use a Dell running Windows 10 Home. I agree the header or whatever you want to call it is too large. I've got antique eyeballs. To get the pages comfortably readable I use CTRL+ twice to get a 120% view. The header takes up about 1/3 of the screen. When I tap the down arrow once or click the scroll arrow once or roll the mouse scroll wheel once the page drops down several lines. The header somewhat shrinks and moves up, taking up only about 1/4 of the screen which is better but still too much. The header should be unlocked or unfrozen or whatever term so it's part of the page as a whole and smoothly scrolls with the page. If I need to see or click it I'll just scroll back to the top. The problem is having it stuck always at the top of the screen. We want to see the knives, not the header bar.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

LDB wrote: If I need to see or click it I'll just scroll back to the top. The problem is having it stuck always at the top of the screen. We want to see the knives, not the header bar.
Agreed. It's real irritating on smaller screens especially.