Search Function

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
this_is_nascar

Search Function

Post by this_is_nascar »

Either I'm the idiot or the search function on this boards simply sucks. Everything I want to search for gets rejected because it's a "common" word. I just tried searching for "endura" in the topic only and it won't allow me to do it.

WTF? What am I missing?
TazKristi

Re: Search Function

Post by TazKristi »

"Endura" is a very common word on the forum given this is the Spyderco forum and the Endura is a widely discussed model. The results that would be returned would be enormous. The search engine that is part of the forum is a "smart" search - meaning it wants to return meaningful results. You can try using the advance search option to narrow things down a bit, but adding other details to your search is still important when dealing with a word like "Endura." In all honesty, there isn't a stellar search feature in any forum software that I've ever tested.

My best recommendation is to use Google search but direct it specifically to the forum. Enter site:spyderco.com/forumII endura into your address bar in any browser and Google will do the searching for you. To give you an idea of just how common "Endura" is on our forum, the Google search returned 18,300 results. That's easy for Google - for the forum software to run the same search within the server that this site lives on, with the volume of users active on the site, it would be crushing. And just for the record, our site does not run on a run of the mill server. We've invested in a lot of enhancements to handle the volume of the traffic that we receive. :)

I hope this information helps. Happy searching!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Yes, that helps, thanks.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks very much, Kristi. This will be a great help when looking for things with numbers and letters, like steel types.

Edit: Maybe there's been a change since I tried a search like this. I just searched VG-10 and VG-10 vs S30V and the forum search engine did just fine. Could I be remembering the old forum :confused:
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

can someone sticky this topic