Mobile version - no post count, join date, location, next to usernames?

This area is for information on how the forum works and for posting issues/requests. This is NOT to discuss Spyderco products, service, or Spyderco.com, etc. Please review the stickied threads PRIOR to posting a new thread!
gbelleh

Mobile version - no post count, join date, location, next to usernames?

Post by gbelleh »

Maybe I'm missing a setting or something, but the mobile version doesn't seem to show post count, join date, location, etc., next to the username and avatar, when viewing a thread.

I find I miss having that info there. Can this be added? Or changed somewhere in the user settings?
Otherwise, the update seems to be working great.
Thanks.
:bug-red-white
Jazz

Re: Mobile version - no post count, join date, location, next to usernames?

Post by Jazz »

I quite agree, plus the Original Poster's name.
- best wishes, Jazz.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

IMO, it would be nice if there were a desktop version available for mobile devices. I mostly use the forum from my iPhone, and would prefer a little more scrolling and scaling, in order to have all the information the desktop version provides.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gbelleh wrote:IMO, it would be nice if there were a desktop version available for mobile devices. I mostly use the forum from my iPhone, and would prefer a little more scrolling and scaling, in order to have all the information the desktop version provides.
Maybe look into using a different browser. I've used Dolphin and Firefox, both of which I believe have the option to use either Android or Desktop agent....not sure if you can do that with iPhone.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

There is a way to request the desktop version of a site with mobile Safari, and most other browser apps. But this doesn't seem to work on the Spyderco forum site with any browser I've tried.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

There isn't a separate "version" for mobile. The software is responsive; meaning it reprioritizes content and modifies the design to fit on any given device on the fly. There are so many different devices (phones, tablets, hybrids, etc.) that using a "mobile" design doesn't work well anymore.

I'm sorry to say that I can't really alter what appears as it would be different depending upon what device someone is viewing on. I felt that a responsive site was the best choice for everyone.

I hope this helps with understanding. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Kristi,

Thank you for all supprt that you have done for us. This is in no way a complain because if that's how the software works, then it is as it is.

With this limitation, I found it very hard to do a 'selective" reading, meaning only opening thread that maybe interest me, usually by: subject, OP, and date it started. I have fell into some resurrected necro thread. I found myself getting more reluctant to browse the forum.

I'm on iPhone 5 & use Opera Mini. It has desktop agent setting but won't work, where it used to work.

Thank you for keeping the site running!
Chris :spyder: