Search found 499 matches

Go to advanced search

by BornIn1500
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:05 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Stretch3
Replies: 158
Views: 9394

Re: Stretch3

5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 pm


I'm fairly certain that was a joke.

Well that's.... unfortunate.
by BornIn1500
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Stretch3
Replies: 158
Views: 9394

Re: Stretch3

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:11 pm
P.S Scuze my ignorance but what is the ...."Endela" :confused:
Apparently a future model that's between the Endura and Delica.
by BornIn1500
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:09 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Guys who put lanyards on your knives, why?
Replies: 26
Views: 1666

Re: Guys who put lanyards on your knives, why?

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am
I already suffered through the '90s lanyard fad once.
Gimp everywhere! That darn gimp. :D
by BornIn1500
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Stretch3
Replies: 158
Views: 9394

Re: Stretch3

Never heard of G2 steel what does it compare to? G2 is the same as Gin-1. A modern equivalent would be CTS BD1. Here's a quote from Sal a few years ago: "When we first began making knives in 1981, we used a steel called Gingami I. It was the best available stainless blade steel in Japan at the time...
by BornIn1500
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Hard truths and observations
Replies: 249
Views: 13031

Re: Hard truths and observations

$200? For g10 and S30v? A BMW and a Hyundai are both made of steel, plastic, and leather. You're paying for the design. Kind of funny you say that because it's how everyone outside of the knife world also views knives. Are you sure a BMW and a Hyundai use the same quality steel? Are you sure it's t...
by BornIn1500
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:40 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: FRCP vs. FRN
Replies: 34
Views: 2639

Re: FRCP vs. FRN

I think there will be a lot of replies that will tell you FRCP feels slick and cheap, while not understanding that it has the feel it does due to the mold it was poured into. So you're saying it's possible for them to make a translucent Delica with FRN? Seems to be more to it than just the mold.
by BornIn1500
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: About the Kapara...
Replies: 4
Views: 361

Re: About the Kapara...

If there ever would be a sprint, I assume they would stay with a stainless steel since the model was primarily created for the kitchen and food prep.
by BornIn1500
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:42 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Stretch3
Replies: 158
Views: 9394

Re: Stretch3

I'm just offering a reason as to the slow sales and providing a point-of-view to exemplify it. If you don't think money has anything to do with it, then what is the reason?


I completely understand your reason for liking the knife and finding value in it. But what would get more people to buy it??
by BornIn1500
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:20 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Stretch3
Replies: 158
Views: 9394

Re: Stretch3

Right. But what will get that Stretch into their hands to find out? Many, many people buy knives online without handling them. If you say you need to hold it and try it to see the extra value, then you've already lost the battle. People don't have that opportunity. They'll just buy the cheaper Endur...
by BornIn1500
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:07 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Stretch3
Replies: 158
Views: 9394

Re: Stretch3

Not trying to be snotty but do you own a Stretch or Stretch 2? It doesn't matter. My point was that the price stops many people from finding out. When the Delica and Endura were on my radar to buy, the Stretch wasn't going to be an option simply because it was priced about $20 higher and it didn't ...
by BornIn1500
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 am
Forum: Spyderco Counterfeits, Clones, Replicas, etc.
Topic: Ganzo knives...Spyderco/BM clone
Replies: 33
Views: 6503

Re: Ganzo knives...Spyderco/BM clone

I'll admit, that Ganzo G729 (G10, not "carbon fiber") was my introduction to Spyderco. I didn't know anyone with a Spyderco knife and I was skeptical to how the hole would be for opening because it was so different from anything I ever used and I wasn't going to drop around $100 for a tool with a ke...
by BornIn1500
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:56 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Stretch3
Replies: 158
Views: 9394

Re: Stretch3

IMO the Stretch doesn't sell well because it's $15-$20 more than the Delica and Endura while being made of the same materials and having a virtually identical build. Unless you really, really need that exact style, why spend another $20? So people don't. Unless the price becomes more in line with th...
by BornIn1500
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:34 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Sharpening choils - Why?
Replies: 83
Views: 5243

Re: Sharpening choils - Why?

You're better of letting that first part develop a J shape Ah, but then it wouldn't look all nice and clean. Using your first example, the Kapara, I think we can agree that people are buying it just as much for the art aspect as for the tool aspect and they're paying a hefty price to get it. So the...
by BornIn1500
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: price increase?!
Replies: 170
Views: 11462

Re: price increase?!

the shaman is a prime example... it's a g10/s30v knife for way too much money. i considered it at $150, but it's not even on my radar for $180. If you think the Shaman isn't a good value for $180 than I'd hate to hear how you feel about the Lil Temperance 3 at $180, which is also G10, S30V, and com...
by BornIn1500
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:22 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Never had this happen before, help
Replies: 24
Views: 1683

Re: Never had this happen before, help

This is why people who sharpen straight razors flip the blade on each stroke. We can learn a lot from the razor people — nothing disillusions you about your sharpening job like putting a blade to your face. But it doesn't take much sharpening at all to put that edge back on razors, so they can affo...
by BornIn1500
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:39 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: price increase?!
Replies: 170
Views: 11462

Re: price increase?!

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:23 pm
ladybug93 wrote: ↑
25 Dec 2018 23:47
remember when this thread was about prices increasing? maybe a moderator can delete it before it goes any further off topic?

i do remember that. those were the good ol' days.
I talk to myself too sometimes. :)

J
Good eye. That's funny :D
by BornIn1500
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:29 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: price increase?!
Replies: 170
Views: 11462

Re: price increase?!

Daveho wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:59 am
Out of curiosity is there a specific reason or is it just racial prejudice?

Wow. I blame the media for everyone immediately trying to label everything "racist" these days.
by BornIn1500
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:29 am
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: price increase?!
Replies: 170
Views: 11462

Re: price increase?!

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:56 pm
A high end Chinese knife would sport at least S35VN

I really doubt you're going to see them send more American steel into China any time soon.
by BornIn1500
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:16 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Is the native5 the new delica?
Replies: 39
Views: 1888

Re: Is the native5 the new delica?

I like knives where if it has a choil, it's an option, not a requirement for a full 4 finger grip. The Native seems to make using the choil necessary for a full grip, so it was never on my radar as a possible purchase. But a lot of people seem to like that.
by BornIn1500
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm
Forum: Spyderco General Discussion
Topic: Pricing Help Requested Please
Replies: 9
Views: 834

Re: Pricing Help Requested Please

I find it interesting that it makes the current price of the Delica essentially right in line with inflation from 1994.

Go to advanced search