Bodacious Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Bodacious Discussion

Post by aicolainen »

I'm happy to see a choil-less design from Golden, it's not quite my cup of tea, but I like the direction they're moving in.
I never quite warmed up to the Shaman either, but still almost caved when one in an interesting combination of materials passed before my nose. I managed to resist, but if it had been a similar situation with a Bodacious instead - the outcome could have been very different. With the caveat that I haven't held or tried either, the Bodacious is my favorite "Shaman" so far.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I’m assuming the MSRP will be equal to the Shaman, if not higher?
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I handled the Bodacious prototype at Blade and knew that this would likely kick my beloved Military out of my pocket, after carrying one or another for the last 15 years.

What I like about the Military is the blade length and how flat it carries. The Bodacious has as much cutting edge and should carry just as flat. I am so glad they didn't use the disappointing PM2/PM3 pocket clip.

If the Bodacious is as good as I think it will be, I will be buying several.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ferruginous wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:30 pm

What I like about the Military is the blade length and how flat it carries. The Bodacious has as much cutting edge ...

Actually the Millie offers a bit more cutting edge (3.65 vs 3.49, that's 4mm more so about like the difference to an Endura ), but that should not matter much in blades already that long when it comes to folders.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Flash

Post by Flash »

I like it but I cannot tell from the pics but will it have the same handle contouring / chamfering as the Shaman? Or have the flatter scales like on the PM2?

Either way, Nice cutting edge / handle ratio. :*
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Flash wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:11 pm
I like it but I cannot tell from the pics but will it have the same handle contouring / chamfering as the Shaman? Or have the flatter scales like on the PM2?
... :*

Flat scales, judging from the title picture of the Reveal... https://catalog.spyderco.com/spyderco-reveal-14-2023/
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

If there is ONE THING that I do appreciate from the Bodacious, is the removal (finally) of that controversial nub!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:03 pm
I’m assuming the MSRP will be equal to the Shaman, if not higher?

I think MSRP is about $350 for the satin version.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like it. I may buy one to support more choil-free Spydercos. I enjoy that aspect of designs like the Resilience, and this looks like a good general purpose design.
:unicorn
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Hmmm. I want to like it, but without the contoured scales, I keep thinking it's the Caribbean's better looking but less talented younger brother.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I think this knife is the closest option currently to a larger sized lil’ temp 3. This model is a unique one in regards to how spyderco produce and release designs, treading back over a previous design and change a single aspect of it and release it with a new name. I don’t necessarily down it but it definitely feels like the first of its kind to do something like that, feels slightly odd to me for some reason. but it’s still a practically sound and solid workhorse of a design from sal as usual.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

I am very hopeful that this leads to a similar model in a 3” blade. I love the step in direction. More great work and more evolution and diversity to you lineup.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

It's an awesome looking design.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:38 pm
Hmmm. I want to like it, but without the contoured scales, I keep thinking it's the Caribbean's better looking but less talented younger brother.
Ok, first off this is hilarious and made me giggle out loud. Second off, give it a try. It may surprise you.

Choiless and carries slimmer in pocket. May not be as comfortable in hand as the Shaman, but honestly what model could claim that anyways? ;)
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:47 pm
I think this knife is the closest option currently to a larger sized lil’ temp 3.

Interesting idea. Love my Lil Temp 3 LW. Doubt many reviewers will make that connection, but I’d love to see how the handle widths compare.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Like aicolainen said, it's my favorite "Shaman" so far. Lot's of stuff in this reveal that I like better, though, so it'll be awhile if ever.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:32 am
To me the Bodacious competes a lot with the Caribbean (pretty similar dimensions, somewhat similar looks, comp.locks...)

And: I love that it will come in SE!!

The already mentioned not too thick stock is nice too! (like a Chief, but in a taller blade with just a hint of a sabre section - should make it a very good slicer!)

Very cool design in any case!!
My thoughts too. I like it and will get one. Magna cut bodacious is the combo to get
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I'm liking the looks of it. Never bought a Shaman because the blade stock is too thick for my personal taste and wondered if the handle wouldn't be the same in pocket.

The Bodacious being slimmed down, flattened out, and with extra edge to go along with it is definitely more attractive to me.
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I like that Spyderco has started to reduce the radius under the index finger area of the handle. Looks comfortable.

I agree with Skywalker...never thought of the Shaman as a knife for me, too wide/heavy. But this knife--maybe so! Need to inspect in person. I love all that edge that folds into the handle. It does look Lum-like. I sold the one Lum I had because there was no "stop" for my index finger sliding forward. This fixes the one thing I didn't like about the Lum.

EDIT: Thread need more photo...

Last edited by Bolster on Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

I allow myself limited redundancy these days but will be passing on one of my beloved Shaman variants to welcome the PJ version of this into my rotation. Nice work Sal.