Newbie's introduction and word to the wise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Newbie's introduction and word to the wise

Post by wrdwrght »

While lurking on various EDC sites over the past year, I have continued to read really good things about Spyderco (I've carried SAKs all my life). I also liked what I saw of Sal in a recent Nutnfancy interview. So, last month, I bought a Tenacious just to understand the excitement.

Now I have a Dragonfly 1 (well done, Japan; but now you're in my thoughts for bigger reasons), a Sage 3 (well done, Taiwan) and a Paramilitary 2 Digi Camo (well done, America). And I seem to hear the C41G Native 5 (announced in the 2011 catalog), the not so imminent Chaparral, and the C101GP2OR Manix 2 sprint-run (now showing up on eBay) calling my name. Evidently I've caught up to the excitement!

If it is not clear in my choice of knives, I have neither a tactical nor a survivalist outlook. Should I be invited to a knife fight any time soon, I'll be bringing a gun (better to overwhelm your enemy, so Vietnam taught me in 1968).

To me, knives are just very useful tools having various applications. Like guns, they ought not be a political statement, let alone a lifestyle.

On this note, a newbie question. Were I faced with out-and-out survival, wouldn't I want a full-tang knife rather than a Spyderco folder, well-built though it may be? The unbelievably bendable ESEE Junglas (followed closely by its smaller siblings) seems to me to be the ultimate abusable knife.

I look forward to participating in this forum.

I'll close with this newbie's word to the wise. Given the time I've spent since acquiring my Tenacious fondling my newer choiled Spydies, I must admit that I've almost lost my index finger more than once reaching for the choil that isn't there on the Tenacious...
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I'm assuming by full tang knife you mean fixed blade. Spyderco makes a nice selection of fixed blades which would do well in a survival situation if you are against using a folder.

Welcome. Looks like you are off to a good start with your variety of Spydies.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome!

In a "survival" scenario a fixed blade certainly offers some stability over a folder, especially if you wish to "baton" with it.

Spyderco has some full-tang fixed blades like the Bushcraft, Street Beat and the return of the Rock Salt in VG10 instead of H1. You can pick up a 3/4th tang knife like a discontinued Aqua Salt or a current production Bob Moran which are pretty tough and run about $65 on the retail market.

If you're talking about a cross-over machete (Knifeette perhaps :p ) they don't have any burly choppers like ESEE at the moment. Still, I'd be just as comfortable with a Bushcraft for 90% of the camp tasks.

Spyderco is even working on a prototype tomahawk so who knows? :)

Note: Spyderco 3/4 tang knives are very tough. X-ray shots show a thick end of metal encased in FRN which by density is almost as tough as steel. I think it's more than up to the task.
Wolfie677

Post by Wolfie677 »

Welcome!

I think most would bring a gun to a fight if possible. No one in their right mind would walk into a life threatening confrontation with a knife if they had a choice, they would take and 870, M4 or something similar.

Even living in Texas where CCW is legal I spend the better part of my days in places where it is prohibited to bring a firearm, hence my choosing carry knives that can fill multiple roles. It's not about having a survival or tactical outlook, I'd just rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The ESEE looks like a great knife, I haven't had the chance to thump on one myself, but I can't imagine going in the woods without a large fixed blade. My current beater is a Ka-Bar Becker BK9 and I have to say it is quite the blade for the money.

I like larger blades on my camp/survival/hiking knives, 9" or 10", it saves me having to carry and axe or hatchet. If Spyderco comes up with something in that range, I'll snatch it up quick.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

wrdwrght,
welcome to the forum from another NHite. I hope you enjoy your stay. It you ever want to check out a bushcraft let me know. I started using one of my seconds and it's very nice, amongst everything else.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome wrdwrght, enjoyed your introduction :) Enjoy!, there are good folks here.

If it were a survival question I would take the Temp2, Aqua Salt SE, Caspian Salt and Bushcraft second. Bradley would have to come too. I would actually take them all to use for barter if need be ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah you'd want a fixed blade, but the thing about survival is that you can't always carry that kind of knife with you, or else we'd all pack around camping gear and some food rations and a tent. Because of that, you pick out the best folder you can carry with you everyday.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

Welcome to the forum :) ! Nice introduction and value points!
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

wrdwrght wrote:On this note, a newbie question. Were I faced with out-and-out survival, wouldn't I want a full-tang knife rather than a Spyderco folder, well-built though it may be? The unbelievably bendable ESEE Junglas (followed closely by its smaller siblings) seems to me to be the ultimate abusable knife.
Absolutely, a decent size well built fixed blade would be the intelligent choice. I've always found the idea of preparing to get caught with your pants down kind of silly.
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wolfie677 wrote:I'd just rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Could not agree more. "Be prepared" is a motto I still hold dear.

My comments about "tactical" and "survivalist" were meant merely to distinguish me from people who live their lives fearing the worst. Paranoia does nothing to reduce the Limbaughian/Beckian othering of people that I find so offensive in these allegedly United States.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My comments about "tactical" and "survivalist" were meant merely to distinguish me from people who live their lives fearing the worst. Paranoia does nothing to reduce the Limbaughian/Beckian othering of people that I find so offensive in these allegedly United States.
For very good reasons we don't get into politics here. Your post is one of those good reasons.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Lungbarrow

Post by Lungbarrow »

wrdwrght wrote:Could not agree more. "Be prepared" is a motto I still hold dear.

The Mastiff wrote:For very good reasons we don't get into politics here. Your post is one of those good reasons.

Joe
Joe has it nice and clear. Thanks, Joe.

wrdwrght, might be a good idea to edit your post a bit, its as devisive as your making others out to be. We've got many different politics and beliefs here, but its a very friendly forum and we leave that stuff at the door (usually).

And Welcome! :)
Michael
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Lungbarrow wrote:Joe has it nice and clear. Thanks, Joe.

wrdwrght, might be a good idea to edit your post a bit, its as devisive as your making others out to be. We've got many different politics and beliefs here, but its a very friendly forum and we leave that stuff at the door (usually).

And Welcome! :)
I take your point and shall refrain from such remarks in future.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Welcome to the forums! :)
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

"Survival," like "tactical," is a relative term. A handgun is a less-than-optimal weapon and much less desirable than a long gun in a fight. However, a hangun can be carried easily, so it offers the portability, convenience, and constant access that a long gun doesn't.

A folder, compared to a large fixed blade, does the same thing.

As for bringing a gun to a knife fight, a fight is a fight. You do everything you can to stack the odds in your favor. If you choose not to regard the knife as a viable personal defense weapon, brush up on your pistol-whipping skills as a back-up should you suffer a malfunction or have more adversaries than ammo. And, if you ever travel someplace that doesn't have CCW reciprocity, you've got issues.

Choosing tools that you can practically and legally carry at all times, anywhere you go, has its advantages.

Welcome to the forums.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here and thank you for your service.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

wrdwrght wrote: the C101GP2OR Manix 2 sprint-run (now showing up on eBay) calling my name.
IIRC the Orange Manix was an exclusive at Cutlery Shoppe. As he has sold out of them, the action has moved to ebay and the prices have gone up. My point being, that Sprints and Exclusives are coming out at a dizzying rate. So, unless you feel about orange the way I do about dark green, there's no reason to overpay. For a full flat grind Manix choices range form the FRN model, at around $80 street, to the Bento Box M4 exclusive for $154 and there will be many more choices to come.

Welcome to the forum.

Add - Jeff sold the Orange Manix for $136 IIRC and one just sold on ebay for $162.50. That's actually not that bad a premium compared to other discontinued Manix models.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897