Which Spydie Bladesteel Is Your Favorite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MANIXWORLD

Which Spydie Bladesteel Is Your Favorite?

Post by MANIXWORLD »

WRT use ofcourse on your daily knife use basis,for all your personal,cutting,slicing,carving etc.needs which of the Spyderco bladesteels suitp you best?old or new.
For my needs VG10 is my ultimate favorite,with S30V,second.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Opposite for me. I prefer s30v. I find it the easiest to get back to hair popping sharpness. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

ZDP 189 is my favorite. I like these type high performance steels

VG10 is probably the best all around, most well balanced steel on the production knife market today.

S30V is a very good high end performer.

CPM D2 was an interesting test of a wear resistant tool steel. I generally like tool steels, and High speed steels even better. I'm glad Sal jumped on it when he could.

BG42 is one of my all time favorites. It takes a good edge and keeps it longer than some steels. It takes polished edges well, and has pretty good edge stability.

S90V CATRA testing shows the same numbers as ZDP, but that is the only real comparison IMO. A super high vanadium steel. That says it all right there.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
vivi

Post by vivi »

I haven't tried BG42 or ZDP189 yet. I like S30V for how long it holds an edge compared to other steels I own and the minimal amount of burring while sharpening.
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I have a group of alloys I really like. I don't really have a favorite, to be honest. VG-10, S30V, H1, and ZDP-189 are my very favorites. As long as the alloy is high quality, it doesn't make as much difference to me as the actual blade.

I guess to be fair, I really should answer your question. For all around, general purpose use, I'm just gonna say VG-10.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

BG-42. I have consistently been able to put a killer edge on it where I struggle occasionally with S30v and VG-10.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Good choices of bladesteels everyone, sofar.
I have to admit that VG10 is my alltime favorite,since i got into Spyderco.
It fulfills in everything i want from a bladesteel,sofar,for everyday use and holds up real well.
I feel i am getting a bit spoiled with Spyderco's excellent bladesteels.
I am vering towards bladesteels of superb edgeholding now in my collection,because i am so used to 154CM, VG10, S30V and AUS 8,that most of my collection knives consists of these bladesteels.
So i am very amped at going for D2 steel,or BG42,to see what true steel junkies experience at using these bladesteels and know what really cuts above the rest.
I have to admit that I really like The Mastiff's choice of bladesteels.
MW.
minnshooter

Post by minnshooter »

VG-10 is my favorite
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Abiding by the motto "all good, just different" the overall knife elements are more important to me. Though I've to say that my most used blade steel is VG-10 :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I like VG10 and S30V probably in equal proportions. But the steel that impresses me the most must be H1 for its sheer defiance of all common sense or knowledge that came before its conception.

In terms of usage I seem to have VG10 and H1 used more often than the other steels.

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Steel is the last thing I care about. My favorite Native has a GIN-1 blade. It's my favorite because it has an undented lockbar, the steel is irrelevant. Most of my users are VG-10, but that's only because it's the steel used on the original Stretch, full size Persian, and all the Kiwis. I'd swap it out for some nicely patterned Crapistani Damascus in a heartbeat.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

VG10 first and S30V almost first. Actually, I'd be happy if these were the only two steels I had in any of my folders. I value toughness as much as anything else and these two steels have been consistent performers in taking some hard (for me) outdoor & work use and still being quick and easy to touch up.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I guess,out of a collectors point of view,the types of steel used in knifemaking don't always matter,and its probably more aestetics that paint the picture.
i must say, that i love collectors piece knives of all sorts,after all i am a knifeknut.
But after you start using different types of knifesteels you start appreciating when a knifemaker puts that little TLC into making knives of proper bladesteels and when we use these gems,we can experience why all this effort was put into making a good knife of proper full grain steel that keeps a supersharp edge and a smile on the face of a knifeknut.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Steel is not my primary concern as long as it decent steel in my book (holding edge well, not easy to stain with my uses and I can sharpen it without problems).
Much more important for me is overall design. Out of my five EDcs four knives have VG10 and one S30V and these steel are on the top of my list. I used to have EDCs with 440C, AUS8 and 154CM, they are OK, but I like VG10 and S30V more.
I really want to try a knife with SG2. I even bought Blur, but I need a hole in the blade of folder. Hopefully Spyderco will make a folder with SG2.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

The Deacon wrote:Steel is the last thing I care about. My favorite Native has a GIN-1 blade. It's my favorite because it has an undented lockbar, the steel is irrelevant. Most of my users are VG-10, but that's only because it's the steel used on the original Stretch, full size Persian, and all the Kiwis. I'd swap it out for some nicely patterned Crapistani Damascus in a heartbeat.
To a certain extent I'm right there with you. These days I'd prefer a nice carbon damascus over any of the high end stainless steels just for the aestetic value alone. When I was using my knives harder though I found VG-10 to be the most reliable and all around good. I have two damscus blades, one a carbon damascus and the other a "faux" damascus which is VG-10 clad in 440a (I think). It's kinda the best of both worlds.

Since I don't sharpen my knives myself (yet) I really dig on the sheer longevity of a good SE VG-10 edge.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

VG-10 is my favorite, with H-1 a CLOSE second. Honestly, it is a little hard for me to be objective with regard to blade steels. I don't do any formal testing, and my favorite knives have VG-10 and H-1 steels. If I had a Delica 4 in 10 different steels, that would be a good way for me to really pick my favorite steels. The Mule Team will be an excellent way to be more objective about blade steels - what an awesome project.

I am pretty happy with any steel that is relatively easy to sharpen to a fine edge, and has decent edge retention and corrosion-resistance. VG-10 and H-1 fit the bill nicely, and I also love the totally-rustproof nature of H-1. I have also been happy with ATS-55, S30V, AUS-8, 440C, and 8Cr13MoV, but I have less experience with those than VG-10 & H-1. I have used ZDP-189 quite a bit also, and I have extra difficulty in sharpening ZDP compared to the others. ZDP does have great edge retention, but the trade-off is usually not worth it to me.

Basically, I am really happy with VG-10 - I think it is the best all-around steel available. H-1 is really nice for it's maintenance-free nature, and it is no slouch in performance - it is just fantastic in SE. I think it is very interesting to use different steels, and I would really like to use S30V more in the future.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Well, I agree with many others here that the overall design of the blade (and the knife as a whole). That said, I've always been a steel junky most of my life. When you combine these things my favorite steels are the ones available in my favorite knives.

1. D2. I love the Mili and D2 is a great steel in a great blade design

2. S30V. All the same for my Lil'Temp

Will the S90V Mili displace the D2??? I have to believe it will.

Ken
玉鋼
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

My personal preference is for VG-10, but I also carry and collect a lot of "old school" Spyderco models (C09 CoPilot, C04 Executive, etc) and have no complaints about the GIN-1 that most of them have.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I'll go with Paul and Peter ;) :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
dialex

Post by dialex »

VG-10 is still my prefference. I don't have a ZDP yet, so when this will come, things may change. ;)
S30V is quite close, in fact it is difficult for me to choose between VG-10 and S30V. Both are great steels.
But - and I know some of you will laugh - I also remember I had a very good experience with ATS-55.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.