Your running knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: Your running knife?

Post by Notsurewhy »

Lazy weekend morning, so beware long rambling thoughts below.

Vivi makes a good point for a longer blade if you do any trail running. I hike more than run, but I generally carry my chief on the trail these days for the same reason. Longer blade means easier work if I need to do some trail maintenance. Particularly in early spring l, there's a lot of new growth and the trails aren't well traveled yet.

The new light weight native chief (when released) might be a good choice if the Pac salt/endura handle isn't for you. 4in blade and only 3oz. I find the native-line ergos work better for me than most of the seki knives. It's not a salt, but both spy27 and bd1n are very rust resistant. Either should be fine, but YMMV if you sweat profusely or have particularly corrosive sweat. The dlc version might offer a bit more protection of you're concerned about corrosion.

I have not used one yet, but the stretch xl lightweight also fills the "big but surprisingly light" niche. It's a back lock like the others mentioned, so it has a strong close bias. It's a seki model, but the handle isn't endura/delica shaped. Vg10 is quite corrosion resistant. The stretch xl and the chief both have pointy tips without modding as well. It has a definitive advantage over the chief lw in that you can buy one right now.

If you just want something light and sharp and length isn't a concern, I'd pick whatever salt fits your hands best in whatever blade/handle shape tickles your fancy. The Ukpk is a personal favorite. Useful size, ridiculously light and great ergos(for me). Just remember it has no lock.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

If I was trail running and suspected I might have to cut some shrubs and branches I’d take the lw stretch 2, I’d say it depends on where you run and what cutting situations you want to try to be prepared for in that environment. Personally where I would go for a run I wouldn’t expect I’d really be cutting anything but I’d probably carry a Caly on me just in case, calypso jr. Or cf 3.5
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:22 am
The Endura handle has never been my favorite, but it never lets me down.
i have to agree with this statement. i always felt like the endura and delica handles were not made for my hands. i don't like where the points are. but i've realized in use that i don't really use these folders in situations where i really have to bear down. they cut really well because of their thinner blade stock so they tend to slice better and require less force. when force is needed, the grip isn't so uncomfortable that i can't get the job done. remember, these aren't fixed blade camp/survival knives.

my pac salt isn't my favorite knife in hand, but it's the most carried knife i have because it's always iwb ready for emergencies, working out, swimming, small tasks around the house, etc. the only knife that might be able to dethrone it would be a stretch 2 xl salt, but even then i'm not sure because i really like the slightly blunted tip and hollow grind combined with se for my emergency knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Halfneck (and by the way - we have met and spent time together. You were curious on how your Busse would carve, and let me carve with it to see how well, or not well, it did, a long time ago at a PWYP. I was surprised at how well it worked, and you liked that I gave it fair and honest try. I even have a few photos that either you, LT or Elaine, took of Joe and I handling one of the snakes I caught at that same PWYP.)

I have found a small can of RedSabre to be a wonderful thing to deter/stop "aggressive" dogs in rural areas when running/biking. Yes, I always have a knife of course, but that little can of pepper spray is a no-contact, non-lethal/injury option that works very well.

u.w.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It used to be the Delica for me, but now it's my digital camo PM 2.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I just carry a little keychain SAK on runs up to 30km, but that’s just on the off chance I need to cut something off/repair my kit or for first aid. For anything over 30km I take a UKPK in my bivvy kit, mainly for food prep. I’ve been considering switching to a small fixed blade with a kydex sheath, but only because it means I get to buy another knife 🤔🙂 the H1 Ark is on offer near me just now and ticks all my boxes for food prep and whatnot.

It’s probably worth mentioning I run up to 30km in the tropics, but I only ever run further than that in temperate countries like Scotland. I find running in the tropics to be an exercise in managed misery over 30km and would rather do something else more enjoyable. The UKPK is great for my UK runs as it’s legal carry there and less sheeple are going to soil themselves (‘less’ being the operative word). If it was legal I’d take something salty and locking.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:22 am
sounds like you need a magnacut manix.

LOL, indeed! I'll just use the one in my avatar...

u.w. wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:40 am
I have found a small can of RedSabre to be a wonderful thing to deter/stop "aggressive" dogs in rural areas when running/biking. Yes, I always have a knife of course, but that little can of pepper spray is a no-contact, non-lethal/injury option that works very well.

Dogs are a concern where I run. This is a worthy idea, since it would allow me to carry a much smaller, lighter knife. Thanks.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I was always taught to never run with a knife. Or a pair of scissors for that matter.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Pac Salt 1 in SE H1.

Why?
I originally bought a Salt 2 SE in LC200N for this purpose. But for the use case, longer is better. My use case is defense against loose dogs (or other wildlife), which to be fair has never been an issue even once in over 25 years of competitive running. But I do like having the security of having a knife on me when I'm out on a long run. I carry it less in hot weather, because it's still more bulk than I want.

The Pac Salt weighs about the same with tons more blade. I also prefer the volcano grip because it's less abrasive on bare skin than the new bi-directional scales are.

MNOSD member 0030
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I often run with a tight Fanny pack around my waist holding my phone and an 8” leather sap. I would rather smack the crap out of a dog than gut one. I also carry pepper spray when I have my dog with me, which isn’t often. I would offer a telescopic baton for those who can’t have a sap due to legality. Again, most dogs will break off with a sharp rap anywhere about their head/nose
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Many years ago in my misspent youth my friends and I had the opportunity to suit up and face off with a Police armed response unit canine officer and her dog. Having trained in Japanese Ju-Jitsu for a number of years (different to Brazilian JuJitsu in that it focuses primarily on maiming the eyes, nose, throat, joints, genitals and any other soft parts of an assailant, rather than grappling them into submission) I was feeling quite confident that I could at the very least fend off the dog. How wrong I was - that trained Alsatian hit me so hard and with such intense ferocity that even immune to the harm of its bites in the padded suit and hard armour it was near impossible to defend against, never mind mount an effective response. It was a sobering experience. Afterwards the Armed Response Officer pointed out that if a dog really wants to hurt you the only way you can overcome it is with greater ferocity and a bunch of luck. I’ve been chased by wild dogs in Mongolia, Sri Lanka and the UK, and on two of those occasions my ferocity made them run away. Luckily on the third occasion (in Mongolia) I managed to mount my still running motocross bike and get away, but even in full MX body armour and helmet I didn’t fancy my chances against two Tibetan Mastiffs and a Malamute (I think that one qualifies as a near death experience 😂).

Suffice to say if there was the option of pepper spray or similar, I’d take that in a heartbeat over a knife for dealing with dogs. If I was close enough to a dog to use a knife and it really wanted to hurt me I think I’d be fortunate to walk away even if I killed it. If there’s more than one dog I wouldn’t fancy my chances all that much. Obviously this mainly applies to large breeds, but I’ve only ever been chased by large breeds 🤷🏼‍♂️. YMMV.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

u.w. - always good to hear from fellow PWYP people - PM sent so as not to derail this thread.

Re: Bear/pepper spray. If I was still running around my neighborhood I'd of gone that route. After a subdivision was built down the road traffic increased. I then switched to using my boy's highschool track, then the gym at work. With the increase in traffic the wandering dog problem lessened some due to either being struck by cars or the dog owners finally getting their heads out of their a$$.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My knife can't run because its legs are too short. :winking-tongue

I don't run any longer, but I do walk a lot. When walking, I carry a Delica or a Manix 2 LW in my pocket. The M2LW more often. It doesn't drag my shorts down and is big enough and strong enough to handle about anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:57 am
My knife can't run because its legs are too short. :winking-tongue

This could be in the Family Friendly Jokes thread, which is underwritten by The Doc!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
HawkinsID

Post by HawkinsID »

I just take my regular endura. When I am done, I wipe it down. It is the perfect running knife for me.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I no longer run, but when I ride it's either a Salt 1 or 2, or a Pac Salt 1 or 2. If riding on the beach, where dogs are prevalent, I have a Kimber Pepper blaster mounted in a holster on my bike's top tube.

If walking near sketchy areas, which is almost everywhere in Galveston (not all areas are sketchy, but most places are near a sketchy area), I carry an Autonomy 2.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:01 pm
What knife do you prefer to carry when you run/jog?
I quit running to devote more time and energy to mountain biking. But my feelings are the same for both activities that involve repetitive leg motion. A knife or any other trinket banging or rubbing your leg with every step is awful. After a long time, it becomes unbearable.

For running, my typical setup was shoes, socks, shorts, smart watch... and a shirt or water bottle when conditions dictated. Anything else detracted from the primary activity: running.

When on the mountain bike, I can tolerate a little more in my pockets: a Ladybug and lip balm. The same challenges apply.

To summarize, my advice is to carry whatever will help you be the best runner.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:27 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:01 pm
What knife do you prefer to carry when you run/jog?
I quit running to devote more time and energy to mountain biking. But my feelings are the same for both activities that involve repetitive leg motion. A knife or any other trinket banging or rubbing your leg with every step is awful. After a long time, it becomes unbearable.

For running, my typical setup was shoes, socks, shorts, smart watch... and a shirt or water bottle when conditions dictated. Anything else detracted from the primary activity: running.

When on the mountain bike, I can tolerate a little more in my pockets: a Ladybug and lip balm. The same challenges apply.

To summarize, my advice is to carry whatever will help you be the best runner.

Appreciate the comprehensive running list. Noted, that you did not include underwear in the list. How does that square with your dislike of a trinket banging against your leg?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:51 pm
Appreciate the comprehensive running list. Noted, that you did not include underwear in the list. How does that square with your dislike of a trinket banging against your leg?

Trinket? Can't say I've ever heard that euphemism before.

But to answer your question, my running shorts have liners. When the weather turns cold, there's tights, which don't require any extra layers. Technical clothing isn't unlike knives. When you buy top shelf equipment, it just works like it's supposed to.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If I had a choice I would be carrying a KelTec P3AT, or a scandium S&W J-Frame. If I have to use a knife, something got too close.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050