$150 to spend on a new EDC spydie...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Igi964

Re: $150 to spend on a new EDC spydie...

Post by Igi964 »

Must agree with Surfingringo.
PM2 is one of the greatest EDC knives ever. And Sharpmaker is always handy.
endgame

Post by endgame »

No one suggest the caly 3 cf with zdp189 or the superblue steel if you like that steel its a sweet blade
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

If you don't mind waiting a few months, I would hold out for the new exclusive Jade M4 PM2 from knifeworks BladeHQ. It's at the top of your budget, but that is a heck of a knife/steel combo.

*edited to fix mistake
Last edited by Wright.88 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

For the record, the jade m4 pm2 is a Blade HQ exclusive. Knifeworks is also releasing an m4 pm2 but theirs is with carbon fiber. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Surfingringo wrote:OP, I would suggest a Paramilitary 2 and a sharpmaker. Just a hair over $150 but you'll be well set with those two tools!

- I am a fan of the satin/digicam in the pm2.
I second this. A big +1. Do it! ;) I love my Para2 and my Sharpmaker.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Nasgul wrote:It also depend on the models you already have ?
None sadly.
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Surfingringo wrote:For the record, the jade m4 pm2 is a Blade HQ exclusive. Knifeworks is also releasing an m4 pm2 but theirs is with carbon fiber. :)
Carbon fiber PM2 sounds perfect...and, already bought a sharp maker so I was ready!
ero2

Post by ero2 »

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-P ... 30V--10801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decent?
ero2

Post by ero2 »

http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercomanix ... order.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really like the look of this one, thoughts between the PM2 above and this manix?
LC Kid

Get your Para2!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi ero2!

And welcome to the Spyderco Forums :spyder:

If your first thought was the Para2 you should go and get yourself one :)

Being your first 'Decent Knife' I'd recommend the regular S30V black G10 version. Maybe the best ever Bang-for-the-Buck :D

The black DLC coated S30V blade is a very nice version too, but keep in mind you're going to fade or damage that nice finish according to the use you put the blade through :rolleyes:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ero2 wrote:http://www.knifeworks.com/spydercomanix ... order.aspx

Really like the look of this one, thoughts between the PM2 above and this manix?
Hi ero2, both knives have their fans but the pm2 is the more widely popular of the two I believe. Personally I much prefer the Paramilitary to the Manix. It is slimmer and more comfortable in pocket and the narrower blade profile makes it more nimble and versatile for my use.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

PM2 or Gayle Bradley, I prefer the Original GB design but is a bit heavy for me for edc..

edit: prefer the Original GB design to the GB2 design. the PM2 is still one of my alltime favorites, ideal size/weight and good value for the price.
Last edited by Joris Mo on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

ero2 wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:What is medium size in your opinion?

4inch blade or maybe something smaller.

Yea, right around there or a little under.
Well in that case I will have to go with the usual answer.

Millie.

You get a lot of blade and it is not to heavy for its size. Easy one hand operation and did I mention Millie?

I like my Manix ok but it is not in the same class as the Millie or a PM 2 as far as ergos not to mention it is a wide sucker in the pocket.

BFK and SG are right on about a SM though. The biggest improvement since discovering the goodness that is Spyderco has not been a knife but is the ability to make them sharp.

Had no idea how dull the average knife people carry around. If you are on a tight budget I suppose you could hold off a little while and send your knife back to SFO for sharpening.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Surfingringo wrote:For the record, the jade m4 pm2 is a Blade HQ exclusive. Knifeworks is also releasing an m4 pm2 but theirs is with carbon fiber. :)

You're right, that's what I get for trying to do two things at once :)
ero2 wrote:
Carbon fiber PM2 sounds perfect...and, already bought a sharp maker so I was ready!
While the Jade PM2 from Blade HQ is supposed to be $150, the carbon fiber version from Knifeworks will be significantly more (over $200).
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ero2 wrote:Carbon fiber chap looks cool, and so does the sage, but...sage 1 or 3 or what? Thanks so much for all the help so far! This is what I was looking for!
The CF Chap is a favorite choice of many folks. Can't go wrong with that. ;) I like the Sage 1 and 2 simply because I like frame locks and liner locks. And CF and Ti too. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ero2

Re: Get your Para2!

Post by ero2 »

LC Kid wrote:Hi ero2!

And welcome to the Spyderco Forums :spyder:

If your first thought was the Para2 you should go and get yourself one :)

Being your first 'Decent Knife' I'd recommend the regular S30V black G10 version. Maybe the best ever Bang-for-the-Buck :D

The black DLC coated S30V blade is a very nice version too, but keep in mind you're going to fade or damage that nice finish according to the use you put the blade through :rolleyes:
Could you link me the one you are talking about?
ero2

Post by ero2 »

Thanks for everyone's input, gonna go with a paramilitary 2, but there seem to be a ton of black on black different versions...which do I get and should I be worried about fakes? Favorite seller?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

For black DLC PM2's, off the top of my head, I believe there are only three versions available at this time: DLC/digital camo G-10, DLC/black G-10, and DLC/orange G-10. I agree with Paladin's recommendation and go for the standard fare S30V for your first PM2. It will serve you very well and I imagine you won't be quite as hesitant to use it if it's a standard run vs. sprint run. (I speak from experience when I say that I tend not to use the limited production sprints :o ). As for trusted dealers, I like Blade HQ, Grand Prairie Knives, New Graham, Knife Center, and Cutlery Shoppe, to name a few.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

OP, there are only two s30v models with black blades. There is a black handle and a digi camo handle...that's it. Totally subjective but I like the looks of the digi camo.

Also, knifeworks and National knives are a couple more good dealers.
ero2

Post by ero2 »

SpyderNut wrote:For black DLC PM2's, off the top of my head, I believe there are only three versions available at this time: DLC/digital camo G-10, DLC/black G-10, and DLC/orange G-10. I agree with Paladin's recommendation and go for the standard fare S30V for your first PM2. It will serve you very well and I imagine you won't be quite as hesitant to use it if it's a standard run vs. sprint run. (I speak from experience when I say that I tend not to use the limited production sprints :o ). As for trusted dealers, I like Blade HQ, Grand Prairie Knives, New Graham, Knife Center, and Cutlery Shoppe, to name a few.
So, http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-P ... ry-2--7920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; instead of the black blade if I really intend to use it?