Another tough decision :/

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
monster08

Another tough decision :/

Post by monster08 »

ok so i have a real dilemma on my hands..ive managed to save up some cash so i can spoil myself lol. BUT i cant make a decision..ive managed to narrow it down to the digi-cam & satin para2 and the ZDP Stretch. It will most likely replace my endura as my EDC. I want something that is durable and will pretty much do what ever i ask of it. my endura 4 has served me really well and the stretch is very similar but with a much better steel...but i like the g-10 on the para2 and the s30v steel is also a great steel.. HELP MEEEE!!!!!! lol
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That is a tough choice. I love the new ZDP Stretch that arrived only a few weeks ago, but the Para 2s are so so smooth. I say get the ZDP only if you don't have another blade in that steel. It is a sight to work with and experience the wicked edge.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
rg02

Post by rg02 »

In what capacity will you most likely utilizing the new Spydie?

For overall EDC, the PM2. For lighter duty tasks and slicing, stretch ZDP.

If you don't own a PM2, I vote the PM2 again.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
monster08

Post by monster08 »

rg02 wrote:In what capacity will you most likely utilizing the new Spydie?

For overall EDC, the PM2. For lighter duty tasks and slicing, stretch ZDP.

If you don't own a PM2, I vote the PM2 again.
is the stretch ZDP designed for lighter duty use??
rg02

Post by rg02 »

It just has a thinner blade than the PM2----which is why it is such a great slicer.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

As implied, depends on your preferred use - for a great slicer/skinner, the ZDP stretch. For a nice durable all-purpose knife, the Para is well-loved.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
monster08

Post by monster08 »

true, ive heard stories about a ZDP endura taking some serious abuse and basically coming out perfect. on the other ZDP can chip if your not careful, but idk how..?
BAL

Post by BAL »

I'd say Para2, but you can't go wrong either way. To me personally, the Para Military
is one that you have to get at some point in time, whether that's now or later.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I can only tell you what I did. I've had Stretch's in VG10/FRN and CF/ZDP189 and I didn't like either of them. I like a thicker blade and a different blade shape than the Stretch offers. I also like a bit wider handle.

OTOH, I have 3 Para 1s and 2 Para 2s and it's a frequent EDC. It covers warehouse work, garden and woods chores at home, and anything I need on 10-12 mile day hikes. Pretty versatile.

S30V has been an excellent all-round steel for me and it's easy to bring the edge back with the field stropping kit that I carry when I'm out for several days at a time.

I vote Para 2, but you're the one that has to carry & use it. My opinion is just that and it's based on my preferences and uses.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd get the Para2 myself. I had a hard time getting my first ZDP knife sharp. That steel gives less experience people a hard time at first. I asked a lot of people questions about sharpening the harder steels and the main thing is patience. It just takes more strokes than other steels. Another key thing was I always use a micro bevel on ZDP. Sharpening or touching up a small edge bevel is 10 times easier than a single wide bevel. After I could sharpen ZDP I believed my knowledge and skills had improved. That was the best thing ZDP did for me. It is a great steel but I wouldn't buy the Stretch because of getting a ZDP knife. Unless you want one just to gain knowledge of that steel and sharpening it. That is valuable info. The fact is sharpening it is the same a all steels basically, just a couple of things about the steel that I mentioned are needed. Other than that I'd go for the Para2. Either knife is a great choice so it is a though decision. Or maybe the decision is which one do I get first? :)

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

There is no right answer! I'm a huge fan of both these knives.

HOWEVER, if I had to pick one for daily carry, I find the Para2 to be more comfortable in my jeans pocket...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

No bad choice here but I'll throw my vote to the P2 since I find it a great all-arounder.

Crosby Stills Nash & Young said it in a song but we'll relate it to Spydies!

"if you cant be with the one you love
Love the one your with"
:D
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

If you don't already have one, I vote Paramilitary 2 as well.

It's a benchmark for all folders to aspire to and you will really like it.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I don't think you can go wrong with either. They're my two favorites without question. I generally carry the S90V para 2 and the blue ZDP stretch, but also carry the ones you mentioned. Ask me my favorite knife and I'll tell you the para 2. Ask me which knife I carry more and I'll tell you the Stretch. The stretch handle is a little thinner and a little shorter than the para, but the actual edge is a touch longer. Here's some quick comparison pics for you of the two you're considering.............

rg02

Post by rg02 »

My vote

-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They are both up there in popularity as top designs. They don't have many haters. For a slicer the ZDP-189 Stretch wins, the Para2 as a heavy duty user. Go with your gut.