ZDP Jess Horn in .100 titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
STR

ZDP Jess Horn in .100 titanium

Post by STR »

Had Tom Krein redo the grind on one of two Jess Horn folders in ZDP189 that I got as partial payment for work. A couple friends of mine had hinted strongly that I needed to do this. I started to just do it myself but decided if I really want to experience exactly what they are experiencing I had to do it using Tom. Glad I did. In discussing it with him I learned he uses a 14" wheel to regrind these. My biggest is a 10" so I'm sure my grind would not be the same.

It is scary thin now I'll say that.

Anyway, I redid the body on it after getting it back from Tom. Nice little folder now! Not that it wasn't before but now its like a surgical scalpel in your pocket.

You know I've learned something using this thin ZDP blade Sal. There would be a market for nice thin knives for wood carving in this steel. Something like a three knive set would be a hit I think. What a set of carving knives that would be too!

Anyway, you guys can see it before and after here. The pictures are too large for this site to accept them even after I resized them. So I don't know how else to show you. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=810

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Bolster

Wood Carving - Great Idea STR!

Post by Bolster »

STR wrote: There would be a market for nice thin knives for wood carving in this steel. Something like a three knive set would be a hit I think. What a set of carving knives that would be too!
Wouldn't I love that! I searched the internet up and down for better wood carving knives and found a lone D2 knife. I have wondered why the supersteels aren't making their way into woodworking tools. Woodworkers would go NUTS over a ZDP plane blade. And I think the woodworking market is sizeable.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Glad to see me and Thom Brogan brought you over to the darkside with our praise of the niceness of the ultra thin edges and Krein grinds! They sure can cut like champs, easily outcutting utility razors for me (though I wouldn't abuse mine like a utility razor). The titanium work is beautifully done (as is your usual), you have one heck of a carry knife there.

Mike
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Very nice. I need ta get you do to something other than pocket clips one of these days.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Images resized and rehosted:

“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser