Is Spyderco missing out on the fixed blade market?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VandymanG

Is Spyderco missing out on the fixed blade market?

Post by VandymanG »

Was looking at fixed blades at various online knife companies. It just seems like something is missing. Especially in areas that Spyderco makes excellent folder knives steel wise. To me it is a mystery that Spyderco doesn’t have a current fix blade knife in CRUWEAR, 3V, magnacut, AEB-L, M4, 10V and several others. Yes I know some of these have been done as mules. But it’d be nice to see some of the mule steels on other types of Spyderco fixed blades. It just kind of feels like this niche of knives has been conceded to other companies.

Or how about a Bow River upgrade to 14C28N? I’d buy that in a heart beat. Shouldn’t cost that much more and it’s a highly regarded budget steel.

I’ve been on a Spyderco exclusive buying streak but that ended the other day. I ended up buying a DCA Mangacut designed knife just to get that steel in a fixed blade.

Would love to see a Spyderco DCA collaboration.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
yablanowitz

Re: Is Spyderco missing out on the fixed blade market?

Post by yablanowitz »

Spyderco has been trying to break into the fixed blade market for years without much luck. It seems the knife buying market sees Spyderco as a folding knife company, not a fixed blade company.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:56 pm
Spyderco has been trying to break into the fixed blade market for years without much luck. It seems the knife buying market sees Spyderco as a folding knife company, not a fixed blade company.
Maybe because the fixed blade market seems to be very conservative design wise. At least to me. Couldn’t help but notice that one of Spyderco’s most conservative looking knives, the Bow River, is a top 10 seller on one online sellers site. It seems to be one of Spyderco’s most conservative designs. Bonus is that it’s a beautiful looking knife and a Phil Wilson design.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I remember the first time I saw a Worker, and it was so different to other brands, but when I was shown how to open it with my thumb, I was hooked, and I bought a SE Mariner as my EDC.

I am guessing that most folk see Spyderco as a Folder Company first and foremost, as folders are easier to carry, and the locking systems are so secure these days.

Fixed blades are not as easy to carry, and most countries see them as a threat of some sort in open carry.

I remember showing a Spyderco Sustain to a work colleague, and he told me it was a fake, as Spyderco do not make Fixies.

For Spyderco to spend more time on Fixies, means less time devoted to Folders, and I would prefer that Spyderco keep on innovating with folders.

This forum has proven that more folk want folders anyway.

And money spent on developing Fixies, which might have a lesser profit margin, is not a good business success plan.

Spyderco is the most innovated on all companies I have heard about, not just in the knife industry.

I am guessing that the Factory Seconds Sales would actually cost money to run, even though it was a clever way of clearing stock that was a tad below acceptable standards. But it gave folks a chance to try out a model that might be above their budget, and that is a beautiful thing! A win/win situation?

I am so grateful that Sal decided to make two of my Fixed blade knife designs. I do have folder designs, but they are in a long queue, so maybe never will be done. And that is okay.

I am still having fun with what I have from Spyderco, folders and fixed...( Temperance 2, I am looking at you! ) :winking-tongue :smiling-heart-eyes :cheap-sunglasses :bug-red-white :usflag
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

How about an Enuff 2 in K390 for you? :bug-red-white

(Dyed my Scales) :cheap-sunglasses

Danke

Post by Danke »

Spyderco needs to partner with BHQ to release a M4/Jade Street Beat.

That will open the floodgates.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

To this day, I regret not getting a 4V Province. It was beyond my budget when it came out.

I feel that Spyderco Taichung fixies are a bit pricey overall, which may be one reason why they aren't as appealing as other brands.

That said, Spyderco does make nice fixed blades. These are the ones I've managed to acquire.
fixed blade spyderco 02.jpg
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Spyderco Junction is one of my favourite fixed blades. Pack it every holiday and work trip in my check in back.
Spyderco has had some great fixed blades over the years. Problem is they always end up discontinued. Probably due to sales.

Hard to keep in competition with fixed blade only companies.

As a Mule collector I’m happy with their offerings in fixed blades, and having so many steels in the one knife I like the size of is a bonus
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

yablanowitz wrote:
Spyderco has been trying to break into the fixed blade market for years without much luck.
Really? Their fixed blades are always outrageously priced. There are at least some entry level options now. But Spyderco tries to charge folder prices for fixed blades.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

VandymanG wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:30 pm
Was looking at fixed blades at various online knife companies. It just seems like something is missing. Especially in areas that Spyderco makes excellent folder knives steel wise. To me it is a mystery that Spyderco doesn’t have a current fix blade knife in CRUWEAR, 3V, magnacut, AEB-L, M4, 10V and several others. Yes I know some of these have been done as mules. But it’d be nice to see some of the mule steels on other types of Spyderco fixed blades. It just kind of feels like this niche of knives has been conceded to other companies.

Or how about a Bow River upgrade to 14C28N? I’d buy that in a heart beat. Shouldn’t cost that much more and it’s a highly regarded budget steel.

I’ve been on a Spyderco exclusive buying streak but that ended the other day. I ended up buying a DCA Mangacut designed knife just to get that steel in a fixed blade.

Would love to see a Spyderco DCA collaboration.
Bow River 14C28N would be an instant buy for me, such a looker 😍
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

If the Bow River had been made in the U.S., it would have been something I'd have a hard time resisting, but I have a feeling part of the reason it is so successful is because of it's low price tag as a result of being made in China. To me though, it would be an awesome knife if it was made in Golden from AEB-L, Nitro-V, or 14C28N. A carbon steel like 52100 would be fun as an option, but with a name like Bow River it only makes sense to be stainless by default, plus stainless appeals to more people.
Last edited by Scandi Grind on Sat May 11, 2024 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
benben

Post by benben »

Danke wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:41 pm
Spyderco needs to partner with BHQ to release a M4/Jade Street Beat.

That will open the floodgates.
Not 100% sold on Jade but a Street Beat in M4….yeah I’d buy one!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 8:08 am
If the Bow River had been made in the U.S., it would have been something I'd have a hard time resisting, but I have a feeling part of the reason it is so successful is because of it's low price tag as a result of being made in China. To me though, it would be an awesome knife if it was made in Golden from AEB-L, Nitro-V, or 14C28N. A carbon steel like 52100 would be fun as an option, but with a name like Bow River it only makes sense to be stainless by default, plus stainless appeals to more people.
Same
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

zhyla wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:41 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Spyderco has been trying to break into the fixed blade market for years without much luck.
Really? Their fixed blades are always outrageously priced. There are at least some entry level options now. But Spyderco tries to charge folder prices for fixed blades.
Oh, really? When the Temperance came out in 2002, the MSRP was less than I paid for my Cold Steel Tanto fifteen years earlier.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

zhyla wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
How many knives are you buying that an extra $50+ for a knife in an unobtainium steel is difficult? At one time I had $20,000 in knives and knife price was the last thing on my mind.

Spyderco designs, manufactures and sells knives in special steels. Every steel has it's unique challenges.

I had two Spyderco Sustain knives in 20CV and gave one to my nephew. The Spyderco Sustain is a very unique design and the steel makes it quite impressive. Nobody but Spyderco making that knife in a large batch.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Naperville wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 12:40 pm
Spyderco designs, manufactures and sells knives in special steels. Every steel has its unique challenges.
Sure, for the people who are into buying expensive knives in fancy steels, Spyderco is always compelling.

Counterpoint: $130 Streat Beats and Subways in VG-10.

The Bow River is the only fixed blade that is priced competitively (kitchen knives aside). It’s a great knife, mine doesn’t get much use but I like it a lot.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

standy99 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:25 am
Spyderco Junction is one of my favourite fixed blades. Pack it every holiday and work trip in my check in back.
Spyderco has had some great fixed blades over the years. Problem is they always end up discontinued. Probably due to sales.

As a Mule collector I’m happy with their offerings in fixed blades, and having so many steels in the one knife I like the size of is a bonus
I love the mules also. I carry one every day. Usually the AEB-L mule. But I also carry the K294 and M398. All depends on what I’m planning to do.

I started considering other knives when a friend showed me his PSK in CRUWEAR and it seems to fit a niche area that I would like to have, shorter blade. I also would like a slightly bigger hunting knife and camp knife than the mules.

So this started me looking at what was available from Spyderco. And I came away with questions. Why so many discontinued fixed blades? Why the current offerings? Why the limited selection of steels when they have so many awesome steels for the folders? Why a lack of bushcraft knives, maybe I missed one offered by them? Why was the Warrior discontinued? And yeah I have no use for the Warrior except it would make a really cool pizza cutter😁 it’s a quest thing for me in my goal to eliminate my wife’s circle pizza cutter.

Not saying that some of the current blades that are offered aren’t great. But the steels used, handle material or knife shape/purpose don’t speak to me.

Can’t wait to see the @Xplorer collaboration. Just hope they consider a budget version because I probably can’t afford the current one being discussed in another thread. Like 14C28N? Well at least can’t afford it after the last knives I purchased started an argument with my wife. I’d like to avoid that again.

Would love a Bow River upgrade. In keeping with the original intent budget wise maybe made in Spyderco’s second most affordable company location with an upgraded budget steel?

Jumpmaster in upgrade salt series steel would be swell.

Enuff with Micarta handle. Or anything besides FRN. OK well not anything.

Bill Moran in different steel and handle material.

And sorry for other knife makers that I may have left out. I’m new to the nicer side of the knife world and new to Spyderco as of 2020. Before that I bought cheap knives because I knew they’d get beat up/destroyed real quick by me. Didn’t realize quality knives could be designed to survive abuse. So my knowledge of who you are and who has worked with Spyderco is limited to the current short time period.

Well I’m dreaming of awesome fixed blade choices how about a PSK under 3” in Super Blue. I love/prefer steel that develops a beautiful patina.
Greg

VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

zhyla wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
I can always find competitive priced Spyderco knives if I look. But many times my dislike for the look of FRN outweighs my desire for some steels. It’s tough not being distracted by the more expensive, well built pretty, bling bling knives they make. Which often happens to me. Or I’m just not interested in the current steel being offered on the more budget friendly knives. But they do have plenty of competitive cost effective knives.
Greg

VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Wow love the look of the Serrata knife. Thank you for your response @Stuart Ackerman Would definitely love that knife in a high carbon/high alloy steel that patinas.

I like folders and they’re my favorite fidget toys/tools. For tougher jobs I like fixed blades. That and fixed blades are more aesthetically beautiful than folders in my opinion.
Greg

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

standy99 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:25 am
This is a fact. Literally anyone can make a fixed blade. They are easier to get right and the fit/finish aspect is mostly just cosmetic.