*Spydie Summer Sale 2023*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

Re: *Spydie Summer Sale 2023*

Post by Wright.88 »

Wow amazing price on the Swayback. Bummed I missed it, I’ve had my eye on one during this sale but never pulled the trigger.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Some fantastic deals!

I saved hundreds by not buying anything this time round... 😇
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:23 pm
Some fantastic deals!

We call that missing out :winking-tongue
MRj “Weak things break!”
olywa

Post by olywa »

Now basking in the afterglow of an unexpected Spyderco sale. Strangely compelled to have a smoke, even though I quit over 30 years ago.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:32 am
Erich wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:56 am
Good to see retailers getting squeezed like the rest of us.

The age of the MAP is over. No one is going to buy overpriced toys in austerity.

What if whiny retailers were a 0 interest rate phenomenon?

It's an interesting phenomenon, a MAP holiday in November and now another MAP holiday in July. Do retailers want to "train" us to buy all our knives during one, or now two, short periods of the year? Why not just provide lower prices all year long, as was the case before MAP? I've read arguments for MAP but none of them ever got any traction with me. MAP seems an artificial way of manipulating the marketplace, with unintended consequences of lowering sales, leading by necessity to these "holidays" where retailers try to move some product. In my humble opinion, of course. Y'all are welcome to tell me how ignorant and wrong I am.

I agree. Just look at the feeding frenzy on this thread, myself included. Especially in the U.S. we are very well trained and conditioned consumers. These types of ‘bargains’ just play into that.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

jdw wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:43 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:32 am
Erich wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:56 am
Good to see retailers getting squeezed like the rest of us.

The age of the MAP is over. No one is going to buy overpriced toys in austerity.

What if whiny retailers were a 0 interest rate phenomenon?

It's an interesting phenomenon, a MAP holiday in November and now another MAP holiday in July. Do retailers want to "train" us to buy all our knives during one, or now two, short periods of the year? Why not just provide lower prices all year long, as was the case before MAP? I've read arguments for MAP but none of them ever got any traction with me. MAP seems an artificial way of manipulating the marketplace, with unintended consequences of lowering sales, leading by necessity to these "holidays" where retailers try to move some product. In my humble opinion, of course. Y'all are welcome to tell me how ignorant and wrong I am.

I agree. Just look at the feeding frenzy on this thread, myself included. Especially in the U.S. we are very well trained and conditioned consumers. These types of ‘bargains’ just play into that.
It was very interesting to see how various dealers elected to handle this event. Some did very little - just slight price decreases on a large percentage of models. Possibly those are the ones who had managed their inventory very well, but felt they had to participate in the sale or lose customers. I was surprised that only one dealer lowered prices substantially on their Itamae kitchen knives, which was the only things I was looking for.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

buckleys wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:46 pm
Ah I couldn't resist getting a serrated magnacut native 5. That makes 5 spydies bought during this sale, whoops
For those days when the Caribbean seems like overkill! I tried so hard to resist, then lost my mind and ordered two.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mrj wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:10 am
Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:23 pm
Some fantastic deals!

We call that missing out :winking-tongue

I also bought not a thing. Didn't have a long "want list," had recently spent for a couple of exclusives and mules, and am anticipating several promised models not released yet. It felt odd to sit the sale out, though.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

I showed a surprising amount of restraint, at one point I had about 8 different items in my cart(s). 😂

I missed the 10% off deal on the Military 2, but I'm not to bummed since it'll eventually show up @ WMK. In the end, I snagged a Police 4 LW K390 and Native 5 LW SPY27.

If I didn't have one already, I would have jumped on the Swayback deal, for me that was the best deal I saw hands down.
:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DARN! DARN! DARN!

I caved. I couldn't resist. I was weak.

The Stretch 2 XL caught my eye the day it was announced. I was patient. Then it was released in Cru-Wear. The price was more than I wanted to pay, but it was nevertheless difficult to resist the temptation.

Then this "Summer Sale" comes along. Just browsing around the interwebs, I found several Stretch 2 XL Cru-Wear knives for $199... but they were all sold out. There was one for $203, but $200 was my line in the sand. I searched and searched. No more buck ninety-nine knives showed up, and the $203 knives were still available.

Last night when I went to bed, I decided that if the 203 deal was still there in the morning, I would pull the trigger. It was. I did.

Edit: There must have only been one knife at that price. Now they're back up to the going rate.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:27 am
DARN! DARN! DARN!

I caved. I couldn't resist. I was weak.

The Stretch 2 XL caught my eye the day it was announced. I was patient. Then it was released in Cru-Wear. The price was more than I wanted to pay, but it was nevertheless difficult to resist the temptation.

Then this "Summer Sale" comes along. Just browsing around the interwebs, I found several Stretch 2 XL Cru-Wear knives for $199... but they were all sold out. There was one for $203, but $200 was my line in the sand. I searched and searched. No more buck ninety-nine knives showed up, and the $203 knives were still available.

Last night when I went to bed, I decided that if the 203 deal was still there in the morning, I would pull the trigger. It was. I did.

Edit: There must have only been one knife at that price. Now they're back up to the going rate.
I did the exact same thing with a warni Lil Native :')
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:27 am
DARN! DARN! DARN!

I caved. I couldn't resist. I was weak. ...

I am only slightly ashamed to call you my friend, having caved ignominiously as you did, paying a whopping $4 more for an excellent knife that's destined to become a Spyderco all-star. OTOH, you were man enough to confess your transgression to the forum, so you are provisionally welcomed back into the fold IF you atone by saying 20 hail-Sals and 20 hail-Erics and posting some photos of your new Cru-Stretch, so that we Stretchless may vicariously enjoy your new swag.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Cutlery Shoppe still has their DLC CTS-XHP PM2 wharnie priced at $169 down from $199. It isn't that sweet little KJ Manix, but as a consolation prize, it ain't bad.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c81g ... exclusive/
- Richard
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:27 pm
Cutlery Shoppe still has their DLC CTS-XHP PM2 wharnie priced at $169 down from $199. It isn't that sweet little KJ Manix, but as a consolation prize, it ain't bad.

That's a sweet Halloween knife!

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:04 pm
caved ignominiously as you

Who you callin' a... a... a cave ignoramus???

Actually, I felt an obligation to buy this knife. I had to put my money where my mouth is. A while back in one of those threads asking what Spyderco should make next, I wrote something about a Paramilitary 2 XL with some interesting steel. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Rob, this ain't no Paramilitary!" And you're right, this ain't your granddad's Paramilitary.

The Spyderco Design Review Board must have seen my request and put it up for consideration. But being the brilliant artisans they are, they improved upon my idea. They stretched out the blade while retaining the same elegant blade shape, smoothed out the back end for a more curvaceous aesthetic, gave it a back lock because everybody loves back locks, and did it up in Cru-Wear because Cru-Wear is awesome. They built the knife I asked for, then drenched it in awesome sauce.

Who in their right mind would NOT buy this knife?
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:27 pm

That one’s still in my cart, it might get me. Been carrying my wharnie Delica today. So. Tempted…
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

I wasn't even considering that stupid PM2 until Ramzar posted that stupid picture!

Halloween Knife totally got me!
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I bought the leafjumper in k390 at rivers edge cutlery for 110. And a serrated endela vg10 at knifejoy for 59. I really like the bladeshape on the endela but I assume the leaf jumper will have a slight win in terms of ergos. Both are right at the same size roughly. So I'm curious to see which design I gravitate towards more.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Optimus Cultro

Post by Optimus Cultro »

I picked up a subway Bowie. I like small fixed blades and look forward to getting it. I also snagged a Tasman. I hope it will fill a little of void left when my much loved, carried and used pac salt was either lost or stolen. I look forward to having some more serrated H1 and trying out a hawkbill blade.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I managed to hold out for all of one day not buying a sale Spydie.. On the second day of the sale, I ended up ordering a SpyOpera (base model) for $99 from Ridge Runner Blades. Amazing deal! I'd never heard of RRB, but decided to order based on several members here saying they were a legit dealer (thanks guys!). I'm glad I did, they were excellent to deal with.. Order placed on Tuesday, knife received yesterday (Thursday), well-packaged with a handwritten note.. Nice!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..