Gentleman’s Knife Recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HolySteel

Re: Gentleman’s Knife Recommendation

Post by HolySteel »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:25 pm
The titanium Delica with damascus blade would be my choice. It’s a little over your budget but you will be the proud owner of a classy iconic spydie.
For comparison:

z1r

Post by z1r »

Cycletroll wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:29 pm
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... DP-189/764

A bit more than your budget but deals can be found. Normally $242
A sweet knife though, love mine.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The classiest folder I own is an M4 PM2 with CF scales so I carried it at my daughter's wedding.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:54 pm
A G-10 Native 5. It’s smaller and not aggressive looking. But it has a 3” blade that can do a lot and enough handle to fill out most hands. Extremely nice knife.
The Native 5 is in my top 5, but it's a fiercr looking knife for sure. It has aggressive lines imo, which I like a lot.

A fancier Delica or a Chaparral Ti would be my choice.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Xformer wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:12 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:54 pm
A G-10 Native 5. It’s smaller and not aggressive looking. But it has a 3” blade that can do a lot and enough handle to fill out most hands. Extremely nice knife.
The Native 5 is in my top 5, but it's a fiercr looking knife for sure. It has aggressive lines imo, which I like a lot.

A fancier Delica or a Chaparral Ti would be my choice.
It’s funny, next to my PM2 or Manix my Native 5 looks like the “little” office knife. But yes tons of less aggressive knives out there too.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have the maple and the raffir noble Chaparrals, but these are my favorites:

Or turn most anything into a gent's folder with custom scales.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Those fluted titanium models are really the Deusenburgs of the Spyderco world. I wouldn't even put a Nirvana over them. I feel like a Para 2 version would break the economy. There needs to be a whole family of them, Para/Manix 2, Chief, Shaman...

Omg....a fluted titanium Shaman...if they could machine it to still have the contoured grip and the flutes....wow.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

Yes! Flute Ti and flute CF everything! I also carried the PITS, the honeymoon lasted a full year. Not having to think about a locking mechanism and also the looks, F&F, design and ergos are all wonderful. That knife is near perfect EDC IMO. Replaced finally only by a Small PJ Sebenza 21.

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:03 am
Those fluted titanium models are really the Deusenburgs of the Spyderco world. I wouldn't even put a Nirvana over them. I feel like a Para 2 version would break the economy. There needs to be a whole family of them, Para/Manix 2, Chief, Shaman...

Omg....a fluted titanium Shaman...if they could machine it to still have the contoured grip and the flutes....wow.
I didn't know you were a fan of the Nirvana ;)

But yeah, those fluted titanium models are very very nice.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

If you want the OG gentleman’s knife. Go with the Gayle Bradley Air (C159GFP). By far, the best one ever made by Spyderco for that purpose.
IMG_5770.jpeg
IMG_5771.jpeg
IMG_5772.jpeg
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I don't think the swayback has been mentioned yet- another gentleman option
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Xformer wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:39 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:03 am

I didn't know you were a fan of the Nirvana ;)

But yeah, those fluted titanium models are very very nice.

I don't have one, never actually even considered buying one but I definitely appreciate the build. It has some design details that are kinda deal breakers, especially at that price point, but it's without a doubt one of the most impressive knives Spyderco has produced so I think it deserves a spot up near the throne. Not ON the throne but near it lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Chaparral Sun & Moon
Chaparral Birdseye Maple
Chaparral Carbon Fiber
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image This Adventura has been a special occasion folder for a long time . May be difficult to find . There are many nice ideas already posted to choose from . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm definitely still team Chaparral for this purpose (CF OG with hidden screws IMO), but the pakkawood Delica was one of my most carried knives in the office. Please consider emailing KnifeCenter for pictures of the actual knife before you purchase... There is a lot of variations in the wood grain and I've seen some duds.

Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Spyderco kapara
Spy opera
Watu
Mcbee
Zt 0450
Benchmade 940
Crk small.sebenza wood inlay
Crk mnandi
.....buy once cry once, don't let $$ stop you! You only live once and this wedding knife can be used at other times like anniversary dinners, funerals, graduation, etc....
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

A lot of great suggestions. I look at it a little differently. For me, a wedding is a traditional day and I think deserves a traditional knife. Something like a C27 Jess Horn would have been perfect. That would be hard to find now.
When my son got married I gave him a Benchmade Proper in CF with an S90V blade.
I see DLT have a couple of nice Great Eastern #54’s about to drop. Well inside your budget and very classy -

Great Eastern UN-X-LD - #54 Single Blade Big Jack - Elderberry Jigged Bone

Great Eastern UN-X-LD - #54 Single Blade Big Jack - Smooth Blue Bone

Great Eastern UN-X-LD - #54 Single Blade Big Jack - Desert Ironwood
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Obviously it’s the kopa.
:bug-red-white