Rice: Brown, Red, Black Ect,?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Rice: Brown, Red, Black Ect,?

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:16 am
"I like cooking things with black or brown or red rice or even wild rice. Polish sausage red beans and rice go very good with those kinds of rice."

Me too Doc, and that sounds delicious right now!
There is a little lady who has a Youtube channel entitled "Sweetpotatosoul" and she has done some "Red Beans & Rice" dishes using different types of rice and a wide variety of beans and it blows my mind as to how many different rice & bean dishes she comes up with>> not to mention the high nutrition value of these dishes too.

Again the vast selection of different types of rice that are found all over the globe is something I've really been getting into. Most people are only aware of brown and white rice unfortunately. I think one reason white rice has the popularity it has is because you can store it indefinitely. Whereas all of the Brown and other organic varieties of rice can only be stored for about 6 to 9 months before the oils in the rice grain goes rancid.

Now I was just told two days ago that if you keep brown, Red & black rice in the Freezer unit you can keep it for a very long time. Again I have no desire for white rice anymore. Because the Brown, Red & black rice has much more nutrition and tastes much, much better IMO.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It really is better than the white rice. It's the equivalent of bleached vs unbleached flour.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:42 pm
It really is better than the white rice. It's the equivalent of bleached vs unbleached flour.
Oh yeah you're absolutely right. Isn't it interesting that it seems like all things that are "white" in the food arena are basically junk food or food with very little nutritional value. Here we have diseases like Cancer, diabetes and many I can't even pronounce and the mainline doctors that are in charge of treating such diseases and other health problems really don't know squat about nutrition.

My second cousin's husband is a cardiologist and he really got a ton of education in the conventional medical field with a Mt. Everest of student loans attached and he openly admitted to me that he didn't even take one course in nutrition in all of his advanced medical training :( Oh he's a great guy and I love him dearly as I do most of my other family members but I wouldn't go to him for advice about eating or disease prevention.

Most professionals in the nutrition field have been aware of this problem of processed foods for decades now but yet you hardly ever hear it talked about in professional circles. A lady Doctor ( Lorraine Day M.D.) literally cured herself of cancer by only the means of a strict nutritional regimen. And I can guarantee you there were no white bread, white sugar or white flour in her diet that ultimately made her well. She just celebrated her 81st Birthday recently I was told. Ironically rice and potatoes are the only two foods she will eat cooked. She mainly a vegan and eats everything other than those two foods raw. Go figure :confused:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It's sad. Nutrition is the foundation of health.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Now I was just told two days ago that if you keep brown, Red & black rice in the Freezer unit you can keep it for a very long time.
Yes sir, that should do it provided it was dry and kept that way. I don't have the freezer space available for large stores of grains though so it's white rice packed in #10 cans for emergencies and regular 5 lb. bags of the good stuff for eating. Those are no problem using them up before they go bad. We all should be eating the healthiest foods we can afford and get. I just posted the info about storage life to hopefully keep others from wasting food like I did. Rice is easy to store, inexpensive and easy to prepare and makes a good addition to emergency preps. It's one store-able food I actually like eating too. Many are pretty awful to be honest. :)
Crux

Post by Crux »

You can store raw dried rice and beans for a very long time. A handy storage is to use 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids. Separate the rice or beans into daily or meal size bags then store them in the buckets. Fill the top inch with paper towels as they will capture any moisture that might get in between uses.

Each 5 gallon bucket of beans/rice is enough for 30 days per person. The rice should be white rice due to the oils in the brown rice that will do racid during long storage. Store with salt, whole peppercorns and any vacuum sealed herbs and spices. Dehydrated butter is a big plus as well as any dehydrated meat.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:40 pm
You can store raw dried rice and beans for a very long time. A handy storage is to use 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids. Separate the rice or beans into daily or meal size bags then store them in the buckets. Fill the top inch with paper towels as they will capture any moisture that might get in between uses.

Each 5 gallon bucket of beans/rice is enough for 30 days per person. The rice should be white rice due to the oils in the brown rice that will do racid during long storage. Store with salt, whole peppercorns and any vacuum sealed herbs and spices. Dehydrated butter is a big plus as well as any dehydrated meat.
Crux you are mostly correct. But with rice storage any Brown, Red or Black Rice that still has the bran and the oils can only be stored at room temperature for about 6 months max. Now white rice you can store almost indefinitely with the help of food grade "Diatomaceous Earth". You can also use that Diatomaceous Earth to store beans and many other grains. You need a water proof storage like a food grade 5 gallon bucket or other air and water tight storage unit.

Now like I said in an earlier post you can store those other types of organic rice in the freezer unit of your fridge or in a deep freezer for a long period of time. But the bran and oils in rice that hasn't been refined won't last all that long unfortunately. But that food grade "Diatomaceous Earth" compound is great for all kinds of different storage. It's great against insects, larvae and/or weevils. But be sure it's food grade because there is a big difference in the grades of Diatomaceous Earth.
Crux

Post by Crux »

JD, I'm not sure I've done any better than "mostly correct" so thanks for the kudos!

Another tip, keep at least 25 lbs of salt and 10 pounds of sugar so you will be able to cure meat as well as endless other uses. I have 100 lbs of salt and the Misses thinks I have a salt addiction. If I were to start weighing I would guess she has a good 20+ pounds of stuff with sugar stashed here and there. Some of my salt is used for the driveway during winter and I have yet to see a grain of sugar wasted. So who is the real addict here, obviously in this specific case?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yep, Salt for canning, jerking, and old fashioned salting meats for storage. If we lose electricity we still have the traditional methods. Salt is something we really take for granted but without endless supplies from the local stores how will most get it? It used to be money because of it's versatility and it remains one of the most useful products around. I try to have both iodized and non iodized salt for canning and preparation of food for storage.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What an excellent discussion topic. Thank you for posting it. I like rice with beans if it is made right. I read that rice and beans together provides great proteins and nutrients for people.

Mastiff, that is very important for people to understand about salt. Salt has so many uses, and like you said, it had greater value in the ancient world. Tell me please about the iodized salt thing. I have been told that it is vital for health for people to eat some iodized salt in the body, because of the need for iodine, and that much of the modern salt, such as salts that are listed as "healthier salt alternatives" in some foods and recipes, do not provide sufficient iodine like standard iodized salt.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes. That is the reason they began iodizing salt in the first place. Goiters is one thing that happens without enough iodine though there can also be other causes for them . I worked with a guy that had his wife die from a goiter closing off her windpipe. She died on the way to the hospital. It's an issue we don't see often here in the US because of iodized salt.

Just working out in the heat can cause issues if salt/potassium isn't replaced. Salt is still vital for so many things but it's so inexpensive and easy to come by now we really don't think about it a lot.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:11 am
Yes. That is the reason they began iodizing salt in the first place. Goiters is one thing that happens without enough iodine though there can also be other causes for them . I worked with a guy that had his wife die from a goiter closing off her windpipe. She died on the way to the hospital. It's an issue we don't see often here in the US because of iodized salt.

Just working out in the heat can cause issues if salt/potassium isn't replaced. Salt is still vital for so many things but it's so inexpensive and easy to come by now we really don't think about it a lot.
Right where I live here in the USA they used to call this area the "Goiter Belt" from people lacking iodine in their diets. Why in the **** do these companies remove the vital, essential nutrients from any food source is just beyond me :confused: . If Mother Nature put it there, then she put it there for a reason. And don't get me started with pharmaceuticals :mad: >> thank GOD above I don't have any ailments that require the poisons put out by the pharmaceutical industry ( the Industry of death that is).

Also this crap that salt is not good for you is just outright false in my opinion. Now I don't eat any of the salt from Grocery stores>> I get natural, unprocessed salt from my local health food store. It tastes a lot better and is loaded with minerals that a body needs. And there might be a case to be made that salt from the grocery stores might be harmful. But I bet if people at least used the iodized salt they would be all right.
SpyderEdgeForever

JD, do you like to add meats such as chicken or beef or even bacon to rice with beans? Its a good combination. Also, what is a good spice for rice that is not too hard on the stomach but spices it up right so it is not so bland, aside from basic salt?

Some people like soy sauce with it.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Also this crap that salt is not good for you is just outright false in my opinion. Now I don't eat any of the salt from Grocery stores>> I get natural, unprocessed salt from my local health food store. It tastes a lot better and is loaded with minerals that a body needs. And there might be a case to be made that salt from the grocery stores might be harmful. But I bet if people at least used the iodized salt they would be all right.
Sea salt just plain tastes better to me. It's all those minerals doing that. Back to regular salt I made a batch of my pickles with iodized salt rather than plain salt because I was out of plain salt and the iodine ruined the taste of the pickles. Normally I can't taste it when using iodized table salt but at very high concentrations like my pickle juice that all changes. I've never tried Sea salts for canning stuff mostly because of the cost. One day I will try it to see how it turns out.
I use soy sauce as a base for my beef jerky marinade. It can make the best Jerky I've tasted if I do it right.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 pm
Sea salt just plain tastes better to me. It's all those minerals doing that. Back to regular salt I made a batch of my pickles with iodized salt rather than plain salt because I was out of plain salt and the iodine ruined the taste of the pickles. Normally I can't taste it when using iodized table salt but at very high concentrations like my pickle juice that all changes. I've never tried Sea salts for canning stuff mostly because of the cost. One day I will try it to see how it turns out.
I use soy sauce as a base for my beef jerky marinade. It can make the best Jerky I've tasted if I do it right.

I agree, I use Sea Salt also. :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 am
JD, do you like to add meats such as chicken or beef or even bacon to rice with beans? Its a good combination. Also, what is a good spice for rice that is not too hard on the stomach but spices it up right so it is not so bland, aside from basic salt?

Creole seasoning
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:12 pm
bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:42 pm
Oh yeah you're absolutely right. Isn't it interesting that it seems like all things that are "white" in the food arena are basically junk food or food with very little nutritional value. Here we have diseases like Cancer, diabetes and many I can't even pronounce and the mainline doctors that are in charge of treating such diseases and other health problems really don't know squat about nutrition.

My second cousin's husband is a cardiologist and he really got a ton of education in the conventional medical field with a Mt. Everest of student loans attached and he openly admitted to me that he didn't even take one course in nutrition in all of his advanced medical training :( Oh he's a great guy and I love him dearly as I do most of my other family members but I wouldn't go to him for advice about eating or disease prevention.

Most professionals in the nutrition field have been aware of this problem of processed foods for decades now but yet you hardly ever hear it talked about in professional circles. A lady Doctor ( Lorraine Day M.D.) literally cured herself of cancer by only the means of a strict nutritional regimen. And I can guarantee you there were no white bread, white sugar or white flour in her diet that ultimately made her well. She just celebrated her 81st Birthday recently I was told. Ironically rice and potatoes are the only two foods she will eat cooked. She mainly a vegan and eats everything other than those two foods raw. Go figure :confused:

I wouldn't put too much stock in that one single case, I am sure there was more to it than that.

However yes, processed foods are a well known issue and have been for as you said decades.

The issue is the food industry or should I say the few companies that own it all have total control and the corruption goes all the way to Washington DC. They control everything now and it is getting worse as time goes on, if you pay attention there are more recalls these days than ever before. Seems like every week there is another 3 or 4 recalls.

There is a reason for that, it's what they are doing, the way they have been cutting corners and it can and does kill people or make them extremely sick. People buy food in the store and fully expect it to be safe to eat, not so much anymore and that is a problem.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 am

I quit using soy sauce all together. I've got a health food alternative that I even like better. I've been using BRAGG's Liquid Aminos. The same people that make Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. The liquid Aminos even have a sharper taste that I really like.
SpyderEdgeForever

That sounds like a great idea, JD. I have read of Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Are there other alternatives to soy that can go good with different types of rice that you know of?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I quit using soy sauce all together. I've got a health food alternative that I even like better. I've been using BRAGG's Liquid Aminos. The same people that make Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. The liquid Aminos even have a sharper taste that I really like.
Never heard of it but I'm going to try it. There is always something to learn here from you guys. :)

Joe