Removing Stretch Super Blue Patina

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

Removing Stretch Super Blue Patina

Post by Wright.88 »

Hey All,

I just received my first Spyderco Stretch (a used model in Super Blue - woo-hoo!!), and was thinking of trying to remove the patina it came with, so that I could form my own patina and "make it my own." Is there a way to do this without scratching the super blue up?

Thanks,
Dan

paladin

Re: Removing Stretch Super Blue Patina

Post by paladin »

I've had good success with Mother's Chrome Polish & also a product called "Super Polish"

For more embedded patinas, I've had to resort to 1000, 1200, 1500, & 2000 grit 3M wet/dry sandpaper...it won't noticeably scratch it up, in fact with that paper you can take it almost to mirror finish. Good luck, I like to make my knives "my own" also. Post some pics when you get finished!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

You could also try a dremel with the round cotton (?) buffing disc/pad that's about the size of a nickle and some real fine polishing compound, I'm not sure what grit it is that came with the package I got but its like a red color paste.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I used mothers mag polish and comes right off. Just a little dab on the blade, buff it with a rag and done.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'd leave it alone and add my own pitina on top of it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JAfromMN wrote:I'd leave it alone and add my own pitina on top of it.
+1. I would lean towards leaving it alone. Too many possibilities of messing it up. :o Try adding a mustard patina--it should turn out great!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Strop on leather with white compound, but the patina is nice!

Or, send it to me if it's too ugly to use & I'll be glad to take the problem off your hands for you for free.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Was removing scratches with a scotch brite pad from a used Caly I obtained, when the thought hit me; what would this do to my previously used patina'd Caly Super Blue?!?! Well by golly it removed the patina and left the scratch pattern close to the original, when I rubbed it on the pad I made sure it was in line with the same original grind/finish.

While I was at it, I took off the pocket clip and cleaned up the scales with Magic Eraser. :D