Stable and Lightweight Neutronium or Quarkonium Knife: What would you do with it?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Stable and Lightweight Neutronium or Quarkonium Knife: What would you do with it?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Picture this with me: Imagine if human science in the not too distant future learned how to make stable and lightweight materials from pure bonded neutrons, or, quarks or some other ultra dense and ultra strong material, and it could be made as cheap as low-cost steel or even wood. This would make diamond and carbon nanotubes seem like wet tissue paper or air in comparison, strength wise.

Now, let's imagine that knives of all manner and shape can be made with this, and you had a fixed blade or folder with a neutronium blade.

As things are in nature, neutronium does exist, it exists as a super compressed nuclear liquid that can form pasta shaped solid shapes, too. It is only stable within the extreme gravity field of neutron stars. Quark stars exist too it is estimated.

But picture a knife, say a fixed blade with a 3.5 inch long blade and the blade is neutronium 1 mm thick. 1 mm of this would be stronger than hundreds of miles of the hardest perfect steel or even than thousands and thousands of miles of it. It could slice through the hardest rock like grainite or gemstone like diamond as if they were air or water. What would you do with such a knife? How would you like that?

Safe, lightweight, stable neutronium.

What I would also like you all to do is speculate with me and please tell me, if humans had the technology to do that, to make this, what applications and uses could you see this being used for beyond personal knives and cutting tools?

Super Drills?
Super Armor?
Needles and Probes that could go through things like no normal metal needle?

Space Tethers for Space Elevators?

Super Rocket Nozzles and Containers for super heated plasma?

Think about this: If you had a neutronium knife, you could cut solid rock and the ground as if it were air, or less, with that little resistance. Normal chemical molecules would be like or water in comparison to the density and hardness of this material. If you could prevent the surrounding material from caving in, you could singlehandledly dig your own underground tunnels and shelters and all sorts of things. Imagine a personal car sized vehicle with neutronium drill-heads on the front of it: You could make your own tunnels.

You could wear an ultra thin neutronium foil suit that would make you impervious to sharks, crocodiles, spiders, snakes, bears, tigers, and any other animal predator.

What would Spyderco do if they could make objects from cheap stable lightweight neutronium?
flasharry

Re: Stable and Lightweight Neutronium or Quarkonium Knife: What would you do with it?

Post by flasharry »

Quarkonium refers to a flavorless meson whose constituents are a heavy quark and its own antiquark.. now, mesons are unstable from what I have read, with the longest-lived lasting for only a few hundredths of a microsecond, so not so good for materials science..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Stable and Lightweight Neutronium or Quarkonium Knife: What would you do with it?

flasharry wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:09 pm
Quarkonium refers to a flavorless meson whose constituents are a heavy quark and its own antiquark.. now, mesons are unstable from what I have read, with the longest-lived lasting for only a few hundredths of a microsecond, so not so good for materials science..
Good point. And right now it is pure speculation, to be sure. Some physicists seem to be on both sides of the matter (No pun intended): Some seem to think that if human science and technology can get to the point where we can re-engineer the vacuum state, like the famous American Chinese physicist TD Lee, who said human science should aim for "quantum vacuum engineering" then there is a possibility of altering decay rates of materials and subatomic particles. That would be a fascinating endeavor, agree? Others take a more skeptical viewpoint and think these basic properties are forever fixed and there is no stable hardware for human engineering below the atom, ie, at the very most we will be able to rearrange atoms and molecules (nanotechnology) within the laws of physics and thermodynamics, but, we will not ever be able to make stable hardware from protons, electrons, photons, neutrons, or even smaller things like quarks and gluons. Time will tell but this is definitely worth discussing and I thank you for your feedback harry.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

No worries mate. always interesting to discuss this sort of thing.. I have read that some particle physicists feel that understanding the quantum vacuum would solve a lot of the problems of quantum physics, including the cosmological constant problem.
Personally I feel that the things that could be of the most benefit to mankind would be nanotechnology (as in the manipulation of matter at nano levels) and high temperature superconductors..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
SpyderEdgeForever

flasharry wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:54 am
No worries mate. always interesting to discuss this sort of thing.. I have read that some particle physicists feel that understanding the quantum vacuum would solve a lot of the problems of quantum physics, including the cosmological constant problem.
Personally I feel that the things that could be of the most benefit to mankind would be nanotechnology (as in the manipulation of matter at nano levels) and high temperature superconductors..
This is an excellent point and I agree. If we could make room temperature super conductors and have nano assemblers, replicators, computers, that would be major. I was reading about Aggregated Diamond Nano Rods: ADNR, also called ACNR: Aggregated Carbon Nano Rods. They are a form of synthetic diamond like material made by compressing fullerene/fullerite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate ... nd_nanorod

https://www.iom3.org/materials-world-ma ... ods-carbon

https://foresight.org/harder-than-diamo ... -nanorods/