Top Chilli tips?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tdog

Re: Top Chilli tips?

Post by Tdog »

demoncase wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 am
demoncase, would fish based chili be good or do seafood and chili not mix? Like if a person put pieces of tuna, salmon, crab, or other sea meats, into chili with traditional sauces and beans or no beans, would that be good or not likely?
You'll want a really firm white fish that'll survive slow cooking to make it work- Something that'll hold together and has a very mild flavour.
Monkfish or pollock spring to mind as suitable- but the character of the 'chilli' you end up with will be very different I expect.
Tuna will probably end up quite 'fishy' over a slow cooking.....If it's decent tuna then I wouldn't be slow cooking it- I'd be searing it so it's rare with lime and soy :)

Crab and salmon really deserve better treatment- I wouldn't stick 'em in a chilli.

Point of chilli is to take cheap cuts of beef or ground meat and turn into something spectacular using time and spices.
The subtle textures and flavours of good fish will be utterly swamped

I'd flex the recipe and look at Cataplana- Portuguese pork-and-fish stew......or a spicy paella.
I agree, fish and other seafood are better in a dedicated dish, gumbo, or chowder. I used to make a Creole gumbo for work once a year. People REALLY looked forward to that. Had fish and shrimp which I caught, crab, and oysters, and sometimes bay scallops. Key was putting different ingredients in at the appropriate times so as to keep the textures right. This was a recipe we got from our beloved maid Idella (rip) who cooked in New Orleans back in the days. She was family, and whenever I'd catch crabs, shrimp, or pompano she'd always fix it the finest. (Pompano en papillote") For years, Idella would come to our house at Thanksgiving as she didn't have family close by, made the BEST stuffing. A truly wonderful woman who helped teach us right from wrong and how to love. Making chili tomorrow, this thread really got me going. :)