Star Trek and Star Wars Questions.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Star Trek and Star Wars Questions.

Post by Doc Dan »

Teleporting can be dangerous. Has anyone seen the 1958 movie The Fly?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am
Teleporting can be dangerous. Has anyone seen the 1958 movie The Fly?
He’s right you know.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Well here we go folks, we have three dimensional printing, and now here is a new version of it, that is akin to the Star Trek concept:

https://bgr.com/2019/02/01/3d-replicato ... ght-study/

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/ ... ce.329408/

https://lifeboat.com/blog/2019/02/watch ... replicator

Please also visit this website and check out the products and the information: Energy from the vacuum. demoncase and Doc I want both of your comments on this idea, please: The idea is based on known particle physics: Space is not empty but is filled with and made up of a seething energetic substance, the ancients called it ether or aether or the firmament and moderns call it virtual particles or the vacuum state which is really a plenum. The idea is that this does not violate thermodynamic law to extract energy and mass from it because it is the root of energy and mass, and, once we can develop a "virtual state engineering technology" we can do everything from make custom designed super molecules that are defined at the SUB-atomic level (take that one on for size, nanotechnology people!!!), and shrink and increase mass and do things that are to nanotechnology as nanotechnology is to knapped stone technology.

http://energyfromthevacuum.com/Tshirtsc ... 32bb6447f8

http://cheniere.org/
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Anyone here watching STD?
It’s...not great... that said if it wasn’t a Star Trek I think it would be fine.
The complete disregard for the half century of history makes the show a bit cringey...
the technology side also just dosnt really add up given that this is prior to OS..
Crux

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 pm
It’s...not great... that said if it wasn’t a Star Trek I think it would be fine.
The complete disregard for the half century of history makes the show a bit cringey...
the technology side also just dosnt really add up given that this is prior to OS..
Ah, I try to watch out for STDs. :eek:
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

as we are on season 2 of the show I’m guessig I have heard variations of that joke almost daily for a couple of years now.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:33 pm
as we are on season 2 of the show I’m guessig I have heard variations of that joke almost daily for a couple of years now.
Sure, but the first time here. :)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Crux wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 pm
Daveho wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:33 pm
Sure, but the first time here. :)
True-
The forum is behind the times on sci-fi and sex education.

Makes me think of when I was in japan watching the rally and they kept yelling STI on the PA.
It was quite hilarious... but only to me.. out of the few hundred folk there.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

In Star Wars they have faster-than-light travel, but nothing like mobile telephony. Really? In Star Trek the transporter is way underutilized. So many issues can be solved by off-label transporter uses. Medical help, for example.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 pm
That show is so bad I avoid it like other STD's. I cannot believe it is even called Star Trek. What moron put that together?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:30 am
Well here we go folks, we have three dimensional printing, and now here is a new version of it, that is akin to the Star Trek concept:

https://bgr.com/2019/02/01/3d-replicato ... ght-study/

Very intriguing. Thanks for sharing this. Who knows, perhaps one day we will have the power to transform one material to another? Perhaps, a real replicator is on the way in, say 100 years.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

You can thank Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman for destroying Star Trek.... hopefully the new Picard series will be better
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:05 am
You can thank Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman for destroying Star Trek.... hopefully the new Picard series will be better
Even the recent movies, though entertaining, were not true to Star Trek. I hope a new writer and director will take over and do a better job.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm still wondering what happened to Captain Kirk? Image
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

As someone in healthcare, and a cancer survivor, I look at the transporter technology from a medical viewpoint.

A tumor is not inoperable if you can remove it on a cellular level with a transporter device. Whole lot less invasive than surgery too.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not think a transporter that disassembles and reassembles atoms will be much of a thing for transporting living things. I think it more likely that some sort of a field generated around the living being that protects from atmosphere and sudden acceleration and deceleration, or lack thereof, and uses a tractor beam and anti-gravity, or some other propulsion will be found more useful and safe.

When you disassemble the atoms of a living creature, it is killed and though it would be reassembled, it would no longer be living. That is how a disruptor works.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crux

Post by Crux »

That's not true! Kirk, Spock and team did it all the time. I've seem them do it with my own eyes.
SpyderEdgeForever

Doc, thank you for reading that article I posted about the new 3d printer. I think it is a good conceptual idea, too, and it leads to people thinking about something else: We know that matter/atoms can be broken down into protons, neutrons, and electrons, and it is said that a neutron is just a compressed proton and electron together. This means that what we have are electrons and protons, if you ignore the idea of smaller fundamental particles below those, it is okay because you can assemble these protons and electrons into atoms.

Now, imagine a replicator device that is energy based and is able to break atoms down to a plasma of protons and electrons, and rebuild them into any object you want, within certain limits. Perhaps Star Trek's writers are right, and reproducing the subtleties of human conscious thought patterns is not possible; but, we could still benefit from producing goods that way and also repairing damaged cells and materials.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Crux wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:38 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:35 pm
Even the transporter has been achieved somewhat when they actually dematerialized and transported a particle to another location and rematerialized it.
Wasn't that really just a fax machine of sorts? The original is still gone. Taken to the next level what good would it do you if you were destroyed on one end and copied exactly on the other. You are still gone. The copy may be there but you surely aren't.

Joe
Not really. I have tried to fax myself many times and while a wild ride, it isn't close to being the same.
I once drank 8 double Espressos in one day and tried to feed the printer a croissant. That's the closest I got. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

demoncase, here is a Star Trek type question for you:

We know that materials such as iron and steel and plastic are at their basic components electrons, just arranged in different forms. What type or level of technology would it take, to be able to somehow focus and concentrate electrons and electricity, to directly build and form materials and even finished products, directly from electrons and electric fields, without the need for all of the intermediate steps that are involved in modern industry? It would be like a replicator that works on electricity and forms the atoms directly from the electricity. What would be needed to make this work?