Done with Zero Tolerance

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knivesandbooks

Done with Zero Tolerance

Post by knivesandbooks »

This has been a long time coming. The signs were clear when I gifted a couple of my ZT's. But I think now is finally the time that I've given up on ZT. I currently have a 0770CFM4, an 0920, a 0620, a 0220, and an 0562BLK. All but the 0562 will have to be gifted or sold. I'm tired of reprofiling crazy thick edges, tired of maintaining ball bearing on these "hard use" knives, and tired of worring about cutting my fingers from lock failure on these knives with 5% lockup. The Spydercos I could buy with the money would perform in a far superior manner.

Anyone else feeling this?
My few remaining Benchmades can stay, as can my Sebenza, and my couple of Bark Rivers. For now, at least. I've been looking at these knives and seeing Spyder money.

It may be time to move the collection to only Spyderco and Great Eastern Cutlery.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sjucaveman

Re: Done with Zero Tolerance

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm often tempted to buy a zt 0450 but just before I pull the trigger I back off due to issues I've read about. Nearly bought one this past week but ended up with 3 spydies on the way. Oh well sounds like I'm not missing out.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Only I have a 0450 and I'm very happy with it. The detent was too strong when it was new but it's broken in nicely. No issues otherwise. The only other ZT's that interest me are the 0450 CF, 0460, and the discontinued 808. The 808 wasn't even on my radar until I handled one at a gunshow a few weeks ago. I kind wish I would've bought it but I'm more interested in finding one of the blue ones.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I haven't bought any ZT's or Kershaws in at least 2 years if not more. I used to buy and use a few. They just aren't for me any more. The ZT's are all looking alike when I read the specs. I have pretty much given up on frame lock knives too and I won't buy any ball bearing knives from and manufacturer. I don't dislike the company but they don't have the products I want. I bought the ZT fixed blade in Vandis 4E and immediately had to reprofile. I have seen thick edged blades that could still shave ( Old Gerber Sportsman 2 Vascowear came in at 50 degrees inclusive) but this one couldn't. Other than that I liked the knife. It's just not something I can use often.

Joe
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I've got a 0452cf and it's a wicked looking shabby slicey beast of a thing. Only problem is the blade steel, it's just rubbish. It's s35vn, I have 2 spydies with that steel and have 0 issues with it but the zt is just crap when it comes to holding or taking a decent edge.
I will be keeping it but won't be using it and certainly won't be getting another zt.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

My 0562CF 204P is better fit and finished, and has better ball bearing washers than my Dice. That same 0562CF is much beefier than my Spydiechef. The Dice and Spydiechef filled size and blade steel niches, respectively, that ZT couldn't. I'm probably one of the biggest advocates of disassembly for thorough cleaning on this forum, but my0562CF has required little more, if any more at all, maintenance than any of my equal quality bronze washer pivot folders. Spyderco offers variety that ZT doesn't have, but after the 2018 price increase ZT offers more knife for the money than Spyderco, IMO.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

The fat edge on my beloved 0777 was one of the parts that made it easier for me to get rid of :o
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have several ZTs and have not found any issues with them. I like a lot of their designs and hope to see them reveal some new designs next week at Blade Show. I also keep some Kershaw's around for rough use jobs when I do not want to do intentional harm to my Spydies. ;)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

When talking about flippers, a ZT is superior imo.
They come out with absolute authority and are built like a tank.
I also never had or have a problem keeping them sharp either.
This is NOTHING against Spyderco. Spyderco is my favorite brand of knife. I carry the Millie almost daily. Not to mention the amount of steels that Spyderco puts out, and their spot on HT.
I could go on and on. But, ZT imo, are one heckuva knife too.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I, as others here, have only one ZT in my collection.
It was my first ball bearing knife, first framelock, first Ti handled folder and my first ZT knife.

While I appreciate the engineering behind it, its materials and complex hardware, the excellent blade steel and all (that clip is my favorite of all time), it leaves me lacking. :confused:

It's thick, not nearly as good as a cutter as any of my Spydies, at any price point. The knife is sexy, but heavy and not really easy to open,truth is it's a bad flipper. It must've broken in by now and it still opens with trouble (needs a hard flick, action is far from smooth even with the blade's weight and mass) :(

Closing is not good either and there's an exaggerate amount of lock stick. I know I can put graphite on it or other methods to avoid it but that sticking really gets on my nerves. It's dangerous to close because of it. :o

So it's definitely a beautiful engineering marvel, a complex and sexy folder, good materials and so but for the price it really leave me cold, especially compared with my Spydies

All in all, I doubt there's another ZT in my future
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wait! There are other brands of folders? :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:29 am
I, as others here, have only one ZT in my collection.
It was my first ball bearing knife, first framelock, first Ti handled folder and my first ZT knife.

While I appreciate the engineering behind it, its materials and complex hardware, the excellent blade steel and all (that clip is my favorite of all time), it leaves me lacking. :confused:

It's thick, not nearly as good as a cutter as any of my Spydies, at any price point. The knife is sexy, but heavy and not really easy to open,truth is it's a bad flipper. It must've broken in by now and it still opens with trouble (needs a hard flick, action is far from smooth even with the blade's weight and mass) :(

Closing is not good either and there's an exaggerate amount of lock stick. I know I can put graphite on it or other methods to avoid it but that sticking really gets on my nerves. It's dangerous to close because of it. :o

So it's definitely a beautiful engineering marvel, a complex and sexy folder, good materials and so but for the price it really leave me cold, especially compared with my Spydies

All in all, I doubt there's another ZT in my future
You must have gotten a real dud.
I've had many ZT's and not one of them have been anything like you have stated. Just the opposite actually.
Just a shame the 1 ZT you bought was like that
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never been impressed with ZT. Quite the opposite, in fact. The locks are my least favorite and there have been well documented failures. The heat treat they use seems not to be up to Spyderco quality. I am not even sure the steel is not some Chinese junk. The knives are overly thick and a good Cold Steel will out perform them all day every day. I like the Spyderco Manix 2 Back Lock for a hard use knife. It has a thick spine but thin edge and the steel is nicely heat treated. Plus, the lock is far superior to that found on a ZT. It is stronger and it is ambidextrous.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Additionally, I just spent an hour trying to get what felt like a really gummy burr off of my 0770 in m4 last night. Honestly doubting it is fully gone. To compare I decided to put a burr on my m4 Contego and my k390 police 4. On both of those the burr came off in a couple swipes.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I had a couple ZT's but I'm not into fidget spinners. They are nice don't get me wrong, but I had no use for them or their ball bearings. I've moved on to CRK, and only have a handful of Spydies left.
Josh
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I own probably 10x more Spyderco than any other brand, but I think ZT is the runner up. Maybe I just lucked out, but my ZTs have been pretty great. No, they do not slice like most Spydercos, but the materials and fit and finish are impressive. The 0562CF is a wonderful knife (at least my examples) and a decent slicer (though the new 0609 might surpass it). My 0801bw has been in the dirt more times than I can count on yard duty and is as smooth as ever after a rinse. I do wish more were on washers (I have two 0550s and they are just as smooth as bearings), but what ZT has done with american made frame lock bearing flippers is really quite impressive IMO.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve got a coulple ZT’s, and they are very well built. I have no worries about their construction, they have not failed and I don’t have any reason to doubt them. I have no maintenance issues, lock issues, etc.
The only thing I’m not a huge fan of in general is they don’t make slicers. As hard use folders they fit the bill but thick blade stock and grinds leave much to be desired for slicing performance.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Not a ZT fan but do have a few Kershaws and got 1 on order.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have a 0303 and it's a tank. I once tried to whittle some sticks to roast marshmallows with and it was so frustrating I don't think I've carried that knife since. Seems like a crazy well built knife but probably a little too over built. I've said in the past and I'm sticking with my prediction that the over built folder trend is fading away.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Picked up my cqc 15 yesterday and thought, man I really like this knife, why don't I carry it anymore? Then I put a little pressure on the thumb ramp and felt the lock slip ever so slightly. Oh yea, that's why. Doesn't help that the edge goes almost all the way to the handle, so if it does slip and close, it will cut your finger. I really need to sell most of them. I'll keep the karambits and the mini 7 though, lock up is still good on those and I really like them.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal