Spyderco Amalgam CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Spyderco Amalgam CQI

Post by Zatx »

First off I must say that the Amalgam is a wonderful design by Brian Lai and that it has been beautifully manufactured by Spyderco at the Taichung plant. This isn't a review of the knife, but you'll see that my own quality improvements speak to my thoughts on the knife.

First an overview of my changes that were made to make the knife my own (and that I would offer as suggestions in the interest of CQI):

The example I received had very sharp lines, edges, and angles. Aesthetically, this design feature was pleasing to the eye, but practically it could be uncomfortable in use. Most of my changes were made to create a more comfortable experience.

• The spine of the blade was very sharp, so I rounded the spine off similar to a Slyze Bowie or Techno 2.
    This was also true of the Spydie hole, so I sanded its edge as well.
Photo:

• Because of the sanding I had done not matching the rest of the knife I then sanded the entire blade using 220 grit sandpaper to create a uniform finish. I then lightly stonewashed the blade to give it a satin appearance. This effect is subtle and hard to photograph in my available light, so it's difficult to see in the photos.
  • By far, the biggest changes I made to the knife was in shaping the scales. It may not be obvious, but I rounded off the sharp(ish) points at the ends of the scales. Again, this change is subtle.
But the number one adjustment I made to the original design is opening the access to the lock bar tab. I don't have a before picture, but there wasn't much of an opening and what was there was too far forward on the tab. This small opening required that the user place all of the pressure to release the bar on a very small part of their finger. Brian even mentions this in the thread titled, "Let's get hyped for the Amalgam."

• Using a diamond file and 220 and 400 grit sandpaper, I gently shaped the lock bar opening to allow greater purchase on the tab. I was mindful of the nested liner, and there is still adequate scale material to support it.

The final result looks like it was straight from the factory, but the improvement to ergonomics and comfort is HUGE. If Taichung could just make this one change to their CNC machine shaping this one scale, it would be a significant improvement to the Amalgam. They don't even need to change the liner.

I'm interested to hear your feedback, but especially so, Brian's. I think I tried to remain respectful of his phenomenal design while trying to create a more comfortable knife.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Spyderco Amalgam CQI

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Looks like the changes have been well-executed, but these improvements are best judged in hand. I'm glad it works better for you!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Hey Zatx!

Good looking mods! Nice job contouring the scale around the lockbar cutout. I imagine it makes lockbar access really easy. How are the ergos of the handle in use with the expanded lock cutout? The stonewashing looks quite good from what I can see. Got any pics of that stonewash finish in daylight? A nice stonewash is one of my favorite blade finishes =P
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:48 am
Hey Zatx!

Good looking mods! Nice job contouring the scale around the lockbar cutout. I imagine it makes lockbar access really easy. How are the ergos of the handle in use with the expanded lock cutout? The stonewashing looks quite good from what I can see. Got any pics of that stonewash finish in daylight? A nice stonewash is one of my favorite blade finishes =P

Thanks, Brian. Lock bar access is now super easy and it doesn't affect the ergos at all other than making them even more comfortable. Unfortunately, I don't have any daylight pictures yet of the blade, but I can say that my attempt at stonewashing doesn't come close to Spyderco's production stonewashing. I've been experimenting with a couple of types of tumblers (vibratory and rotary) and many types of media, but I haven't found the combination that produces Spyerco's results. I think the step I'm missing is using a high-speed buffing wheel to polish the blade when I've finished the tumbling process. I'm finishing up my graduate studies this semester (graduate in May) and hope to have time to get back to experimenting this summer.