Think I am boycotting Knife Center

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crux

Re: Think I am boycotting Knife Center

Post by Crux »

I've had issues with KC including never shipping some pre-sale knives, but overall they do a good job. They also have a point system that allows you turn earn discounts. When I look for a knife and the prices are the same I go to KC for the points. Also I get emails from them all the time and Spyderco is usually the main focus.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Crux wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:24 pm
They also have a point system that allows you turn earn discounts. When I look for a knife and the prices are the same I go to KC for the points. Also I get emails from them all the time and Spyderco is usually the main focus.
DLT has a point system too.

I think someone else (BladeHQ, maybe?) does as well, but I can't remember who it was.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

As an example, if you filter Spyderco folders by lock type in the current BladeHQ inventory (includes Discontinued and Upcoming) this is what you'll see with the number of folders for each lock type in parentheses:
  • Lockback (213)
  • Liner Lock (107)
  • Compression Lock (83)
  • Frame Lock (44)
  • Ball Bearing Lock (27)
  • Slip Joint (22)
  • Phantom Lock (3)
  • Stop Lock (1)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

This type of fan boyism has really been keeping me away from here for some time. I understand this is all about Spyderco and Spydercos forum, but some of y’all need to get a grip, especially the OP. This is the best time EVER to be a knife enthusiast. SOOOO many great manufacturers right now. Branch out a little, I did.
Josh
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:56 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm
You probably already own the best one they ever made.
Are you referring to the Mantra, Advocate, or Sage 2? :)

Fluted Ti Millie ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

They could of thrown the Chef in there, which is one of the best Spyderco framelocks in my totally unbiased opinion. :rolleyes:

Also, I do like Knifecenter they have been very courteous with me whenever I do business with them and it is always excellent service.
They are, however, a business and their main job is to push their inventory. I bet they don't have a problem selling Spydecos in general, but
a 400 dollar Sabenza (although excellent and some consider to be the standard of high end knives), or the equally as expensive Hinderer will need more convincing / justification from consumers to drop hard cash. Because at the end of the day, it may be blasphemy to say, but you can cut anything with a butter knife... We're all just a bit knife nutty.

It is a very wide market out there, and it's nice to be part of a tight knit community here :)
Joey

Post by Joey »

Most of Spyderco’s Chris Reeves Integral Locks are pretty pricey, and that could’ve had an effect on the choice of knives included in the email, but that’s just a guess.
I love my awkward Brad Southard and my Domino! The Domino is my all time favorite Spyderco.
Last edited by Joey on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Spyderco don’t make frame locks- they make R.I.L...
get Cha fax str8 m8
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Joey wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:41 am
Most of Spyderco’s framelocks are pretty pricey, and that could’ve had an effect on the choice of knives included in the email.

Well... they included a $450.00 Sebenza and a $465.00 Hinderer in the list. So I don't think price was much of a factor.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:22 pm
Knife Center just sent me an email titled The Best Frame Lock Knives at Knife Center. They did not include even 1 Spyderco, Ya know what I don't like that, not one little but. Hrrrummph

https://www.knifecenter.com/listing/the ... f339dff1c0

My guess is they are trying to get rid of other brands that do not sell as well but for goodness sake you can't leave Spyderco out why that is just, Sputter, Sputter "Impossible" Dang Nabit!
You do get a chance to tell them what your favourite frame lock is ;)

[One lucky winner will be chosen at random to win a Kizer Gemini.

To enter:

1. Subscribe to the KnifeCenter YouTube Channel
2. Comment telling us what your favorite frame lock knife is.

That's it! We'll be picking our winner on Monday, February 11th. International entries are welcome, but you must be able to provide a US shipping address. Good luck, everybody!/b]

Never had a drama with KnifeCenter, ship to Australia with a flat fee half the price of BladeHQ

Just scored a Delica in green almost free with the rewards.

Don’t think anyone has a problem selling Spyderco ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 pm
This type of fan boyism has really been keeping me away from here for some time. I understand this is all about Spyderco and Spydercos forum, but some of y’all need to get a grip, especially the OP. This is the best time EVER to be a knife enthusiast. SOOOO many great manufacturers right now. Branch out a little, I did.
Oh settle down :p , You clearly missed where I said I was having fun with this ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

awa54 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:51 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:56 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm
You probably already own the best one they ever made.
Are you referring to the Mantra, Advocate, or Sage 2? :)

Fluted Ti Millie ;)
You know I have to admit the TI CF Millie does have the nicest lockbar ever. May one day get a fluted TI Millie but after the Jade DLC M4 purchase yesterday I am pretty well stocked on Millies.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spyderman91 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:05 am
They could of thrown the Chef in there, which is one of the best Spyderco framelocks in my totally unbiased opinion. :rolleyes:

Also, I do like Knifecenter they have been very courteous with me whenever I do business with them and it is always excellent service.
They are, however, a business and their main job is to push their inventory. I bet they don't have a problem selling Spydecos in general, but
a 400 dollar Sabenza (although excellent and some consider to be the standard of high end knives), or the equally as expensive Hinderer will need more convincing / justification from consumers to drop hard cash. Because at the end of the day, it may be blasphemy to say, but you can cut anything with a butter knife... We're all just a bit knife nutty.

It is a very wide market out there, and it's nice to be part of a tight knit community here :)
THIS :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 pm
I agree. I'll still have mostly Spyderco's in my collection, but once I get my NYS tax returns I'm going to be purchasing my first WE Knife...and I'm pretty freaking pumped about it! :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well I have already done the Chris Reeve circuit and other brands but settled in with Spyderco.

The absolute truth of the matter is Spyderco does more innovative things with steels, styles, designs and features than any other brand.

Another truth is Spyderco charges less than many of the other premium knife companies and delivers more consistently.

Fun Fact I just received an email from GPKnives about some Zero Tolerance folders in the video guess who they were comparing those knives to?

Yep you guessed it Spyderco. Says something doesn't it? In case some don't get it, or maybe don't want to.... what it says is Spyderco is the benchmark all others strive for.

https://www.gpknives.com/zero-tolerance ... m20cv.html
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly, I read that as very tongue in cheek. I don't expect anyone is boycotting Knife Center because of their "fan boyism."

I'm not big on frame locks (or liner locks) but I still want to buy a CRK frame lock at some point, mostly for the "Idaho Made" logo.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 am
Honestly, I read that as very tongue in cheek. I don't expect anyone is boycotting Knife Center because of their "fan boyism."

I'm not big on frame locks (or liner locks) but I still want to buy a CRK frame lock at some point, mostly for the "Idaho Made" logo.
Thanks for picking up on the spirit of the writing.

Chris Reeve does make some very nice knives, you will get your monies worth, just don't expect them to slice as well as Spyderco knives, I have owned large and small Sebenzas and a Paramilitary 2 is a better slicer.

What I have a hard time swallowing is $300.00 and more for a knife made in China. Never gonna happen here.

Just for the record I have not boycotted Knife Center but usually buy from Blade H.Q. Knife Works and GPKnives. I also have had trouble with Knife center on pre-order stuff and then never having an idea of if you will even get one.

A neat thing Blade H.Q. has started doing is taking deposits guaranteeing you the knife you are committing to pre-order. I like that.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Do I love their marketing? No.

Do they run deep discounts on discontinued Spydies and also commission great exclusives? Oh yeah.

Will I buy more knives from them? For sure!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Also, the fluted Ti Military is the greatest framelock ever!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anycal

Post by anycal »

murphjd25 wrote: ...
Fanboyism seem to fade with time. New folks are excited, ready to chime in about anything, replying to everything. To some extent, I was there; based on your posts, so were you.

I find that there are three types of threads and posters - informative, entertaining, and useless/annoying. I can usually tell which way a thread is going based on subject line, or first couple of posts. Unfortunately, the posters in the last category (I am sure some see me as one) clutter the first two.

If you can filter or ignore some post and posters, it makes the time here more fun. But for some reason, I got sucked into this one...

My favorite frame lock,

Peter