Fictive Chaparral XL: Follow up: How would you design it specifically?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Fictive Chaparral XL: Follow up: How would you design it specifically?

Post by Wartstein »

(EDIT: Reading my post again, I realized that maybe there is not a whole lot to discuss here, since the topic is very narrowly defined. I´ll post it anyway... ;) )

Some weeks ago I started a poll, asking who´d like to see a longer version of the Chaparral while keeping it´s overall thinness and especially the thin blade stock. Quite a few people showed their interest (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492)

I´ve been contemplating what I personally would like a Chaparral XL to look like exactly, if I could design it. I´ll list some thoughts below, maybe some of you find it interesting to discuss the topic.

So: The guideline here is: It should be a Chaparral in a longer version, not any other knife; it should keep it´s key feature, the overall thinness, especially the slicey, thin blade. And I mainly think about a FRN version

Length: I´d like to see the proportions between a Chaparral and a Chap XL to be somewhat like the proportions between Delica and Endura:
That would mean: Closed length Chaparral: 91 mm; Chap XL 107 mm; Blade length Chap: 71mm; Chap XL: 85 mm (the difference between Delica and Endura blade is bigger, cause the blade of the Delica is not as long as it could be concerning space in the handle)

Width: I´d keep the XL as narrow as the regular Chap, both in handle and blade

Blade stock; I´d keep it 2mm (to create a longer slicer is the whole point), at most 2,4 mm (so still thinner as a Delica)

handle thickness: I´d keep the handle of the Chap XL as thin as the handle of the regular Chap. Things you do with such a thin knife do not require a fat "hard use handle"

Choil: Keep the size of the choil exactly as it is, do NOT make it bigger and do NOT extend it further into the blade, so the blade length you gain in a Chap XL is ALL cutting edge

Color: I´d give it kind of a "classy" color again - so maybe grey like the regular Chap, or a very dark, noble red...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Re: Fictive Chaparral XL: Follow up: How would you design it specifically?

Post by TomAiello »

Have you tried mocking it up with cardboard?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 pm
Have you tried mocking it up with cardboard?
Not yet, but good idea!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd take the current chap lw, make it ever so slightly longer with the same thickness, and make it a salt version with DLC coated LC200N blade, black FRN, and coated stainless/titanium hardware. Man, that would be a sweet little knife!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Sage is basically a scaled up Chap. I would love to see a Sage with 2mm blade stock.

The Sage 4 shared the same lock including the AWESOME internal stop pin but it was a chunky knife. If it had been as thin as the Chap I would carry mine much, much more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 pm
I'd take the current chap lw, make it ever so slightly longer with the same thickness, and make it a salt version with DLC coated LC200N blade, black FRN, and coated stainless/titanium hardware. Man, that would be a sweet little knife!
How much longer would you like it? I think around 20 % more actual edge would be great...
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'd modify it slightly so it looked more like this.

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Crux wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Bladestock W A Y too thick... ;)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:10 pm
The Sage is basically a scaled up Chap. I would love to see a Sage with 2mm blade stock.

The Sage 4 shared the same lock including the AWESOME internal stop pin but it was a chunky knife. If it had been as thin as the Chap I would carry mine much, much more.
And XHP.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Crux wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Now more serious and detailled reply: Compared to the Para 3 lw, for me the Chaparral is NOT about light weight. Though it is quite light, with it's steel liners and steel backspacer it actually feels rather heavy in a positive way (solid) for it's size. That I would also like to see in a Chap XL. It's more about beeing very thin, and therefore a great carry and an amazing slicer.
I guess for over 90 % of regular knife tasks 2 mm stock is enough and even better than 3 or 3.7....
So I think for people who actually do knife stuff with their blades and not crazy hard use tasks, a slicer like the Chap but longer would be great.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Right, a sage backlock but in FRN, thin bladestock and thin handle as well as a little narrower overall (as wide as the Chap but longer) is pretty close to what I imagine a Chap XL to be.