Sliverax Mod-Squad: pinups & give-away

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paulwa

Sliverax Mod-Squad: pinups & give-away

Post by paulwa »

Howdy all,
I’ve got a few stacks of maker’s mark stickers that are waiting to be distributed, so I needed a mechanism to get them into the hands of folks that may be interested; and this is what I came up with…
C54AC7D6-9407-4593-864B-7337354E40DA.png
Post an original pic of your modded Sliverax in this forum thread, or a link in this thread to an original pic you posted on your facebook or instagram or whatever account, and I’ll send you a sticker. (You’ll need to PM me a shipping address to complete the exchange, and I’ll get a sticker mailed your way as soon as I can. One sticker per person, but please post as many times as you’d like.)

What counts as a mod? Well, pretty much anything… (I got a lot of stickers to get rid of.)
The addition of a lanyard would count as a mod, flipping the clip side counts as a mod, even an original pic where you ‘modded’ the Sliverax’s surroundings would count. Duplicate mods also count and are more than welcome. Tips for those wanting to replicate a mod would definitely be an additional level of coolness.

To sweeten the pot a bit, I’ll pick my personal favorite Sliverax mod that gets posted here and that forumite will receive an additional Sliverax knife modded by me! (Spoiler: my mod will be simply swapping the standard wire clip for a black wire clip, so the winner can sell the knife as new if they’d prefer to liquidate the prize.)
15253B57-AE93-4DDD-AD1D-9F8293482DF4.jpeg
15253B57-AE93-4DDD-AD1D-9F8293482DF4.jpeg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
I’ll pick the winner by the end of this year so things won’t drag on too terribly long but leave time for the more ambitious mods.

So, show off your Sliveraxes, get a sticker if you want it, and maybe inspire another potential modder out there to take the plunge.

Here’s some free ideas I haven’t yet seen: regrind the blade so the edge is straight; add a swedge; add a finger choil; contour the handles; crown the spine; make new scales; or even bob the blade to make it more sheepsfooty and shorten the handle (removing the lanyard hole) to match – this one would be pretty sweet... Anything goes!

So, thanks for the interest in the design, and hopefully we all get to see some creativity and skills from the Spyderco community with this give-away.

- Paul
Last edited by paulwa on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slumblor

Re: Sliverax Mod-Squad: pinups & give-away

Post by Slumblor »

Pretty great idea, wish I had a Sliverax now. Haven't picked one up yet but I plan to.

bet you'll see a lot of flipper tab deletes but I'm also interested to see what else everyone posts.

Thanks for doing this and good luck everyone
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I gotta have one of those stickers but I like my sliverax the way it is. When I got mine I disassembled it and “modded” it by adding nano oil to the pivot area, etc. I hope that counts because it’s the only modding I’m doing to this great knife. Oh and I got it wet.

Thanks Paul!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Thanks Paul!
2017-10-14 13.13.44.jpg
Just the de-flipper mod here. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Nate

Post by Nate »

Woo-hoo!! Wondered how I was going to get one of those stickers... :)

Lefty carry:

Thanks Paul!
:spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I love mine just the way it is! :)

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Thanks Paul, great design!
Mods: shortened flipper tab, chamfered scales.
*Just compared mine w/ my twin brother's unmodded Sliverax last night (bought it for him as a bday gift), and realized the mods don't make a huge difference, but I do prefer mine by a small margin.
*Since getting this knife I've been contemplating chopping off the lanyard hole and shortening the blade by a hair to match. The size on paper is bigger than I usually edc, but in hand it feels so perfect that I've been pretty reluctant to go down that rabbit hole. Awesome to see Paul suggesting that route in the original post!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man, I really need to get a black wire clip, that looks great.

I think everyone has seen mine already. The flipper tab is gone and the detent ball track is smoothed and polished.

Oh, and don't forget the super elite next level mod...grip tape on the lock tab. :cool:

And a gif...not sure if anyone can see it, I could only get Google to upload it :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Swapped out the clip on my Sage 3
Swapped out the clip on my Sage 3
Here's mine minus the flipper. Oh yeah, a big shout out to ED for the idea. :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by holeshot on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Pretty sure I'm gonna jump into the deep end mod-wise and chop my Sliverax down - remove the lanyard hole and enough blade to fit (looks like ~.25" of cutting edge will be sacrificed). Been on the fence about this but this thread is pushing me over the edge.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Has anyone done a PB washer mod and gotten rid of the ball bearings? I would be very interested to know how that turned out.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

DigDug72 wrote:Pretty sure I'm gonna jump into the deep end mod-wise and chop my Sliverax down - remove the lanyard hole and enough blade to fit (looks like ~.25" of cutting edge will be sacrificed). Been on the fence about this but this thread is pushing me over the edge.
Post a thread!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Has anyone done a PB washer mod and gotten rid of the ball bearings? I would be very interested to know how that turned out.
^^^ +1 ^^^
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:Man, I really need to get a black wire clip, that looks great.
I have dark clips on my Chaparral and a couple Sages. I really like how they look. Earlier today I ordered a couple t-shirts from the SFO. I wish I would've thought to add a dark clip to put on my Sliverax.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

thewoodpecker wrote: Post a thread!
Will do. Probably jumping in later today.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Here's mine. The part of the clip just above the hump was causing a bit of a hot spot, so I borrowed the clip from a dragonfly. Big knife, small clip - but it works for me. BTW - best "mod" was lubing the bearings. Anyone with a Sliverax should consider this one.

Now I need to replace my dragonfly clip...

Can't wait to see the lanyard delete mod. There looks to be almost 2mm between the end of the liner recess and the start of the lanyard tube, so it will be tight for sure without exposing the liners.
Last edited by foofie on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I tried the Dragonfly clip but I got a little concerned that it wouldn't be secure enough. I have one on my Kiwi 4 too.
~David
foofie

Post by foofie »

Evil D wrote:I tried the Dragonfly clip but I got a little concerned that it wouldn't be secure enough. I have one on my Kiwi 4 too.
Thanks for the warning - will be extra careful for now.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

OK, just finished chopping and sanding my Sliverax - this mod turned out better than I expected. Gotta rush out before taking pics, but might have time to snap some during the event I gotta attend. Probably not til tomorrow though. Really happy with the results.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DigDug72 wrote:OK, just finished chopping and sanding my Sliverax - this mod turned out better than I expected. Gotta rush out before taking pics, but might have time to snap some during the event I gotta attend. Probably not til tomorrow though. Really happy with the results.
:eek: You're a monster!

Really though, man you've got more nerve than me and you definitely like the little bobbed down size knives. I'm sure it'll turn out great for what it is but man the size is a major part of my love for this knife. If it had come in 1/2 inch shorter in the blade I'm sure I would have bought one but it would be more like a Dragonfly in my uses, whereas now it's dominating my main carry choice even over my beloved Military.

Anyway, I don't mean to detail, can't wait for pics.
Last edited by Evil D on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~David