Polestar, Urban, Lil' Lum have dropped (Pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

Polestar, Urban, Lil' Lum have dropped (Pics)

Post by dplafoll »

Album link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskRShbgT

Thanks to Mark's Outdoors as always.

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Contents include comparison shots with: Polestar/Efficient/Tenacious, and Polestar/Para Military 2/Para 3.

Polestar:
This thing is a winner in my book. I really like this one. If the Tenacious weren't dead with the release of the Efficient, it has to be dead with this thing coming out. I think that the Efficient and the Polestar form a great tandem of alternatives to the Native and Para Military 2. The handle feels really nice, and it seems like a really good addition to the line-up. And it feels very well-made.
Note in the pics the difference in the handle color depending on the lighting. The two pics of the show side closed are in the same spot and same lights, just a different angle because of the clip. Also, I highlighted the sharpening notch as I for one am glad to see it.

Urban in Gray FRN:
This is a great little knife. I live in Alabama and we have almost no knife restrictions, so I have no functional need for a non-locking knife (as opposed to choosing a traditional slipjoint for the aesthetics), and so this one wasn't on my radar. Looks nice, very good in the hand, feels very sturdy and well-made. The half-stop is reassuringly strong. I'm impressed, and I'd be very interested in this knife if I lived in a place that didn't let me carry pretty much any knife I want.

Lil' Lum Chinese Folder sprint in Blue Nishijin:
I'll be honest: the Chinese folder design isn't my favorite. This knife is still very nice, and if you're a fan of the design I can see why you'd want to grab this one. I'm not usually a fan of the Nishijin handles either, but these look really nice in blue.

NOTE:
I made some zoomed in copies of the pivot on the Polestar and Lil' Lum. I thought you guys might want to know that the Polestar has phosphor bronze washers and the Lil' Lum has teflon washers (one small and one large).

Last edited by dplafoll on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Re: Polestar, Urban, Lil' Lum have dropped (Pics)

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I sincerely miss going to marks every weekend. :(

Randy knows my wife and I very well. Amazing store!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Thanks for the pics they are great! My Polestar is in the mail :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks again for the reviews. The Polestar is next on my list. The name cracks me up though... Very stripper-y lol.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the pictures, Patrick. Excellent stuff! :)
Spydergirl88 wrote:Thanks again for the reviews. The Polestar is next on my list. The name cracks me up though... Very stripper-y lol.
Ha! I hadn't thought about it that way, but now that you mention it... ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:I sincerely miss going to marks every weekend. :(

Yes it is. By now not only do Randy and Chris know me as a regular customer, they know to go ahead and get the piece of wood I use as a backdrop out for me when I come in and there are new models to photograph. :D
Spydergirl88 wrote:Thanks again for the reviews. The Polestar is next on my list. The name cracks me up though... Very stripper-y lol.
You're welcome! And now I can't un-hear that. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

The Polestar name makes me think of fast volvos not fast girls

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/polestar
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I keep thinking of Volvo's performance group of the same name.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

dplafoll wrote:
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:I sincerely miss going to marks every weekend. :(

Yes it is. By now not only do Randy and Chris know me as a regular customer, they know to go ahead and get the piece of wood I use as a backdrop out for me when I come in and there are new models to photograph. :D
Yerkas is the nicest guy in the cutlery biz bar none.

You're welcome! And now I can't un-hear that. :p
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was wondering why the Lil Lum dropped, I have one from last year. I might have to think about getting that one.

I don't know how soon I need to get that Urban. I wish the UKPK would come out already!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Me too. I have the Lum with black Nishijin scales and it makes a really beautiful knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

The Polestar was designed for the scouting market. The North star is the first star to learn.

sal
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

sal wrote:The Polestar was designed for the scouting market. The North star is the first star to learn.

sal
Hi Sal,

My Polestar will be in my hands tomorrow :)

I have a Byrd Raven 2 (which I actually sent in for service last week) and the Polestar seems like the same knife design without the forward choil...is that accurate? Also, really glad to see it has phosphor-bronze washers! The gray textured G10 scales look really cool...hope to see more variations of G10 colors and patterns (layered perhaps..?) in the near future. Thank you for all that you do for us!

All the best!
Hovan
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hovan-A-Sec,

The Polestar design came from the Raven design. Basically the same knife without the finger-choil. Also made by the same maker as the Raven. We've been working with him for 16 years and his quality has gotten good enough to make Spyderco's.

The Alcyone is a smaller version by the same maker.

sal
Last edited by sal on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more info
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Polestar is certainly on my list. It's another great design by Sal and crew.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001