Centofante 3 - time for a sprint!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

Centofante 3 - time for a sprint!

Post by PSquared »

I know I'm repeating myself but it is time for a Centofante 3 sprint. I had a quick look on Spydiewiki and I suspect that the Centofante 3 might be the longest running model in the current catalogue that hasn't had some sort of sprint, variant or a bit of CQI love (not an exhaustive list so there might be others that hit the line up in or about 2004) :

Centofante 3 was introduced in 2004 - no sprints or CQI to date?
Harpy had a CF sprint in 2005
Civilian might be another one that hasn't had a sprint (there are no dates on Spydiewiki) but like the Rescues, it might be because these are pretty task specific rather than EDCs
Cricket was introduced in its current form in 2003 but there have been sprints and the tattoo version
Military was also introduced in 2004 but has had a lot of sprints and CQI
4th generation of Delica and Endura introduced in 2006 and there have been boat loads of sprints

I don't regard the Centofante 4 as a variant ... if that was still in production, Jazz might never have needed to get serious and we wouldn't have had the Jazz Delica (and 2 variants already).

If the Centofante 3 was introduced in 2004 and is still on the menu, sales can't be terrible. I think these are made by G Sakai so they have the expertise with a host of different steels and have all the colours for the FRN on hand ... I would imagine a sprint would be pretty easy and a run of 1200 would be financially less risky than say another lil Lum sprint?

Now I'm definitely repeating myself ... keep it simple and easy - ZDP189 and BRG FRN sprint
The Meat man

Re: Centofante 3 - time for a sprint!

Post by The Meat man »

PSquared wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:19 am
I know I'm repeating myself but it is time for a Centofante 3 sprint. I had a quick look on Spydiewiki and I suspect that the Centofante 3 might be the longest running model in the current catalogue that hasn't had some sort of sprint, variant or a bit of CQI love (not an exhaustive list so there might be others that hit the line up in or about 2004) :

Centofante 3 was introduced in 2004 - no sprints or CQI to date?
Harpy had a CF sprint in 2005
Civilian might be another one that hasn't had a sprint (there are no dates on Spydiewiki) but like the Rescues, it might be because these are pretty task specific rather than EDCs
Cricket was introduced in its current form in 2003 but there have been sprints and the tattoo version
Military was also introduced in 2004 but has had a lot of sprints and CQI
4th generation of Delica and Endura introduced in 2006 and there have been boat loads of sprints

I don't regard the Centofante 4 as a variant ... if that was still in production, Jazz might never have needed to get serious and we wouldn't have had the Jazz Delica (and 2 variants already).

If the Centofante 3 was introduced in 2004 and is still on the menu, sales can't be terrible. I think these are made by G Sakai so they have the expertise with a host of different steels and have all the colours for the FRN on hand ... I would imagine a sprint would be pretty easy and a run of 1200 would be financially less risky than say another lil Lum sprint?

Now I'm definitely repeating myself ... keep it simple and easy - ZDP189 and BRG FRN sprint

There has never been a Centofane sprint in a steel other than VG-10?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I really want the Centofante 4. ZDP would be great or HAP40. Maybe a full carbon handle?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Oh man. Thing that's most appealing on the cento 3 is the blade shape. Would love this in XHP!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Would like to see that beautiful thin blade with a nice handle.
Happy with any of the great steels the Japanese Spyderco factory uses. :)
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I would be all over a Centofante 3 sprint!
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:40 pm
Oh man. Thing that's most appealing on the cento 3 is the blade shape.
You said it! It's a beautifully designed knife. If there would be an upgrade with the steel/handle material, I would probably go for it.

What I'm wondering is, why hasn't Spyderco ever done this?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:40 pm
Oh man. Thing that's most appealing on the cento 3 is the blade shape.
You said it! It's a beautifully designed knife. If there would be an upgrade with the steel/handle material, I would probably go for it.

What I'm wondering is, why hasn't Spyderco ever done this?
Not sure, maybe demand?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

The blade shape is actually very similar to that of a Gayle Bradley 1or 2. If you want an upgraded steel and handle material that would be a way to go
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Burgundy FRN and ZDP189 to match the Caly Jr. and Jess Horn, yes I like this idea much.
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

ZDP sprint for me, any color even in black.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I am 100% on board with a Centofante 4 ZDP/HAP40/Super Blue sprint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd much rather see a Centofante 4 sprint. In something like K390 or Maxamet. :)

Although I'd settle for HAP40, assuming it's going to be made in Japan and needs japanese steel. ZDP would work for me, too.

I own a Cento 3, and rarely use it. But the Cento 4 is unique enough that I'd really be into that one.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Centofante 3 in light denim blue to match the Memory

HAP40 would be good for this superb slicer
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Cento 3 is a great knife. It was my first Spyderco. Unfortunately I broke the tip...prying...because I'm a dumbass.

Various sandpaper and about 30 mins yielded this result..

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The handle looks a bit 90s dated, but dang, it was a nice design
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm on board! How about linerless G10 or CF and a wire clip? XHP and keep the bug inlay for the win.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if the reason this hasn't happened yet (or any other Centofante design sprints) is related to permission since Centofante isn't with us anyymore. The Memory was more of a dedication to him and not a collaboration (as far as I know).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

I would love one in hap40.zdp or m4.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm on my 4th. I keep giving them away to people who can appreciate them. They are a reasonable price and a high value. Plus they sit right on the edc intersection of form and function. I've dissected many a large apple and rescued more than a few picnics with my Centofante 3.